best cornering tire?- Mtbr.com
    BOSS TYCOON
    Oct 2006

best cornering tire?

I've been on minion 2.5 3c tires for the last year and i love rippin corners with em'. I am looking to put some fresh rubber on my ride and i was wondering if anything corners better than the minions?

Thanks!

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    I was just going to recommend the Minions. I just had my first experience with them tonight on my new 7Point and man do they grip to everything!
    "If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." ~ J. Whittaker

mtbr member
    Having tested dozens of DH tires the Minion DHF is the one I always use as the benchmark. It works great just about everywhere. Other contenders are the Maxxis Highroller and Kenda Telonix 2.4 & 2.6. The 2.4 Telonix is a good race tire that wears better than the Maxxis 3C, and the 2.6 is a mega-tire that pretty much has endless traction, but is pretty slow rolling.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

Equal opportunity meanie
    Minions for anything loose. If you like to slide a lot, then High Rollers. They have a nice predictable drift at a half-lean then bite again before they give out entirely. The big thing about the Minions is that they don't have a predictable drift at all, or very little warning before they give out.

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    If you like to slide a lot, then High Rollers. They have a nice predictable drift at a half-lean then bite again before they give out entirely. The big thing about the Minions is that they don't have a predictable drift at all, or very little warning before they give out.
    I've heard this opinion before but I've been able to drift DHF's front and rear relatively successfully. I haven't ridden High Rollers more than tootling around the parking lot on buddies bikes though so I may not know what I'm missing. DHF's do rail though, not really a lot of need to try and initiate a drift with them.
    Bike good, work bad.

Roll on Spring Time!
    Thats good info cause I was able to do cutties when I had a HR out back but dam I cant get the minion to break loose predictably. The only thing keeping me off another HR is how fast they ware but since its been a while maybe its time to throw one again and see if I notice the difference.

Equal opportunity meanie
    3C HR or DHF in front and 60 HR in back are both mighty fine setups. I throw the Minion on the back every once in a while and end up taking it back off immediately for that reason unless I'm riding super loose stuff that likes to powerslide.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    is the high roller 2.35 larger than the minion 2.35? i read that minions run small.

EastBaySteez
    My 2.7 DHF Super Tacky wont let go if I wanted it to. Maybe its because its a 2.7 or it might be the fact that its a Super Tacky. hmmmm

Its heavy as sh!t.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Going to try out the new specialized clutch tires in the 2.5 DH casing. They feel like copies of the minions, but roll a bit faster and are lighter. the 2.3 is very very promising so far. I am a die hard minion 3c DHF fan though, so we'll see if the 2.5 holds up to such a standard.

Hopefully it does, because they're like half the price.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Intense Edge Fro Lite 2.35 - 1100 g - in my opinion better than maxxis for standart conditions
    Intense 909 Fro Lite -mid loose conditions
    Panaracer Fire Fr 2.4 (is like 2.7 of maxxis) great for loose conditions

Setup: Front: Intense 909 Rear: Intense Edge

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    I too can give a thumbs up to the minions! Awesome tyre, i'm about to try some high rollers too, 42a front/60a back so we'll see if they come close
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    I'm loving every minute in my High Rollers. Unless I get to try something else this is the bst tire I have ever used.
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

RiffRaff
    Jan 2007
    Specialized Clutch. The 2.3 is almost a Maxxis 2.5 and the 2.5 is almost a maxxis 2.7. And the specialized tires are a little cheaper.
    "If Liberace was alive, he'd be proud to ride that mofo."

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by HTFR
    Specialized Clutch. The 2.3 is almost a Maxxis 2.5 and the 2.5 is almost a maxxis 2.7. And the specialized tires are a little cheaper.
    Not the DH casing ones. I'll post up some pics of them side by side, but they're actually almost exactly the same size.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I love my Minions FR/R 2.5 or 2.7 ST front 2.5 rear ST. Yeah they suck climbing but who cares really...

Although my LBS has been singing the praises of the Conti Der Kaiser 2.5 at 1000 grams and/or the Rubber Queen 2.4 also 1050 grams - compared to my Minions at 1300... Anyone had any experience with them relative to the Minions?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jrInMarin
    I love my Minions FR/R 2.5 or 2.7 ST front 2.5 rear ST. Yeah they suck climbing but who cares really...

Although my LBS has been singing the praises of the Conti Der Kaiser 2.5 at 1000 grams and/or the Rubber Queen 2.4 also 1050 grams - compared to my Minions at 1300... Anyone had any experience with them relative to the Minions?
    Gee Atherton did for the first two WC's.

He was back to high rollers for the third.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hummm William41 so I take that as he tried them for two races then returned to the "Maxxis fold" so to speak... Ok I guess if it ain't broke why try and fix it... I'll stay with my Minions...

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by first.hander
    is the high roller 2.35 larger than the minion 2.35? i read that minions run small.
    they are equal
    both run small.........
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    Minion in the front is nice....I like it way more then the high roller which I have had slide out on me a few times
    I
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jrInMarin
    Hummm William41 so I take that as he tried them for two races then returned to the "Maxxis fold" so to speak... Ok I guess if it ain't broke why try and fix it... I'll stay with my Minions...
    He's still sponsored by conti. He picked up a sharpie sponsorship too though.

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by HTFR
    And the specialized tires are a little cheaper.
    Go to Chain Reaction Cycles. Tires are hella cheaper there, even after shipping across the pond. I just picked up Maxxis Minions 2.5 single ply for $25 a pop. The Dual ply's are available starting at $30.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

... and if we just ...

ha - NICE

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Minions are the best, no doubt. 3C or 42a on the front & 60a on the back. I also like the Intense 909, EXDC & DH FRO aswell. Super cheap at Jenson right now.

moaaar shimz
    Maxxis Minion DHF, Schwalbe Muddy Marry, Specialized Chunder/Maxxis Highroller.

BOSS TYCOON
    Oct 2006
    does the ardent compare the DHF in corners?

N* Bomber Crew
    Have you tried running DHF's both front and back? A Minion DHF in the rear adds extra bite to your grip so cornering will be superb.

You can try some different compounds too...but the Super Tacky wears out too fast for me.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Equal opportunity meanie
    Grip does not necessarily equal superb cornering, especially in the back.

Pivotal figure
    I've run the DHF and the Ardent; prefer Ardents for sure. It's a slightly different cornering feel but it suits my riding style. Also has a ton of air volume.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    the conti Kaiser is the best corner eater, but wear down like nothing FRO only!!
    :thumbsup:
    ride.

mtbr member
    Have you tried running DHF's both front and back? A Minion DHF in the rear adds extra bite to your grip so cornering will be superb.
    Minion DHF in the rear = drifty goodness.

I've never had a tyre step out on my as much on a flat corner before as a DHF did...altho it was fun...on that particular trail it was faster to drift the corner than to grip it.
    Patience is not a virtue, its a weakness!

mtbr member
    from where i ride the tire set ups have been:
    HR front/rear
    minion F front/rear
    minion F front/R rear

and from people who have ridden both it is almost a unanimous HR front rear, every day.
    EDIT: just want to add, where we ride is mostly tight technical turning trails, no where to pedal.
    Last edited by bxxer rider; 05-22-2009 at 09:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

Members who have read this thread: 0