Best Clip-In Pedals for light FreeRiding?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Best Clip-In Pedals for light FreeRiding?

It's time to try clipless pedals again. I hate to be clipped in, but the benefits are huge. I'm looking at the Crank Bros. Mallet C and other similar pedals. What have you tried? Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LNeilB2
    It's time to try clipless pedals again. I hate to be clipped in, but the benefits are huge. I'm looking at the Crank Bros. Mallet C and other similar pedals. What have you tried? Any recommendations?
    ive never tried clip in pedals and i dont plan on it... why do you want them for freeriding? what types of benefits are you talking about?

mtbr member

Mallet C's are way sweet!

Go with the Mallet C's. Sturdy platform, easy clip in and out. I had trouble getting the cleats to work with my old Axo filters, too much rubber on the sole, I could have cut some of it off, but I just picked up a cheap pair of 661 shoes instead. I still switch back and forth between platforms and the Mallets. Depends what I'm doing. If I am mostly jumping, I use the platforms, more trail oriented stuff where you need to really pedal then I run the Mallets.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

For...

Quote Originally Posted by nitro1636
    ive never tried clip in pedals and i dont plan on it... why do you want them for freeriding? what types of benefits are you talking about?
    Pedaling UP hills.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    if you ride anything that resembles a freeride bike you'll look like a queer with clipin pedals. There are no benfits aside from hill climbing using clipins.. i have them on my XC bike and they ONLY belong on a XC bike/road. If you want to gain hill climbing ablity do squats and squat thrusts... lift a weight and eat a hamburger.

old school...

I agree...

Mallets are well worth to try. I've been riding a month with Mallet Cs on my freeride bike and I am suprised. Not a long time ago I could have sworn that I never ride clipped on, how wrong was I ...
    Clipless pedals feels now very comfortable and gives me a lot better control on my bike than platforms. Sure I still like to use platforms when doing jumps or trails that are not familiar to me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeblaster
    if you ride anything that resembles a freeride bike you'll look like a queer with clipin pedals. There are no benfits aside from hill climbing using clipins.. i have them on my XC bike and they ONLY belong on a XC bike/road. If you want to gain hill climbing ablity do squats and squat thrusts... lift a weight and eat a hamburger.
    I ride platforms but many top riders use clipless for DH and for FR when there is a lot of pedalling involved.

mtbr member
    Except downhill racers wear them all the time...

edit: Let me sum that up for you: You're wrong.

I love the internet.
    Last edited by Prechrysler; 08-12-2004 at 12:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Wouldnt that qualify as a oxy moron?
    signature

poser Administrator
    Notice that he says "Light Freeriding" not Joe-hucking-jumpin'-Bender-nofooted-cancan-superman-seatgrab-jib-grind-triplecrown-monsterT-avalanche-888-marz°cchigirl-garbanzo-redbull-virginutah-Freeride.

I suspect that he means mountain biking with some climbing and descending and some drops and jumps and some fire road and some technical climbs, probably front derailler-70mmstem-singlecrown riding.

I use ol' shim├no red 636 clip ins, they suck actually, compared to the mallet C. My wife just got them and they pretty much kick tuckus. Got an o-ring on the axle to keep 'em from spinnin' when draggin' a foot around corners and jumps and such. Got 6║ o' float for those knees and come with replaceable traction plates so you can mung 'em up and then get new traction later. I am thinkin' about replacin' the ol' shim├no ones now too. Get 'em they are cheap (supergo's got 'em for $69.99 and adrenaline's got 'em for $59.99) Good luck.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    Notice that he says "Light Freeriding" not Joe-hucking-jumpin'-Bender-nofooted-cancan-superman-seatgrab-jib-grind-triplecrown-monsterT-avalanche-888-marz°cchigirl-garbanzo-redbull-virginutah-Freeride.
    Although, that would be impressive to do with clip-ins. You could start a whole new variation of tricks. Starting with a "clipless no-footer", where you pull a no-footer and manage to clip back in before you hit the ground. The possibilities are endless. Eventually one day people would be doing "clipless supermans".

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher

I suspect that he means mountain biking with some climbing and descending and some drops and jumps and some fire road and some technical climbs, probably front derailler-70mmstem-singlecrown riding.

I use ol' shim├no red 636 clip ins, they suck actually, compared to the mallet C. My wife just got them and they pretty much kick tuckus. Got an o-ring on the axle to keep 'em from spinnin' when draggin' a foot around corners and jumps and such. Got 6║ o' float for those knees and come with replaceable traction plates so you can mung 'em up and then get new traction later. I am thinkin' about replacin' the ol' shim├no ones now too. Get 'em they are cheap (supergo's got 'em for $69.99 and adrenaline's got 'em for $59.99) Good luck.

I haven't found those prices on either site....

the bomb
    lmao!!!!!!!!!
    Womanhood ain't for sissies.- oldbroad

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    if he was doing downhill than its not quite freeride.... freeriding is more jumps, hops, drops, spins, and trick orianted (no good with clipless). Downhill is exactly that ... DOWNHILL going retardedly fast and balls to the wall. I don't consider downhill and freeride the same. Downhill is blasting down a hill, freeriding is a range of things (trail riding (which has some downhill), drops, dirt jumps, urban, skatepark type crap, logrides/northshore type sh#t, and trials type crap). 90% of "freeride stuff" clipin's would not be useful. so i guess you're wrong since he asked about "freeriding" and not downhill racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Prechrysler
    Except downhill racers wear them all the time...

edit: Let me sum that up for you: You're wrong.

I love the internet.

Woohooo! Moderator

I've had Mallets for about 8 months

Quote Originally Posted by LNeilB2
    I'm looking at the Crank Bros. Mallet C and other similar pedals. What have you tried? Any recommendations?
    I love the pedals but I'm already on my second set of cleats--they wear faster than any other pedals I've tried (Shimano, Time). I only use them if I'm on a trail with technical climbs which is probably about 50% of the time so basically that means I wore through a set of cleats in 4 months.

They are far better in the mud than Shimanos and I think their construction is better. I get more accidental releases on them than I do on Times but fewer than with Shimanos. Overall, I think they are the best compromise in terms of clipless--I just wish they would make better cleats!

poser Administrator
    FWIW, the supergo price was in a supergo store, they where marked in a flyer as $79.99 and we got them $10 cheaper. I saw the other ones at beyond bikes (not adenaline sorry)in MBA for $59.99. These were prices for the mallet C's only too.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

V10 Freerider
    Brilliant.....
    The Super T you have is really a very good fork. I'd take that fork over a Fox 40 or a Boxer unless i was entering a fashon contest instead of a race

mtbr member
    if he was doing downhill than its not quite freeride.... freeriding is more jumps, hops, drops, spins, and trick orianted (no good with clipless). Downhill is exactly that ... DOWNHILL going retardedly fast and balls to the wall. I don't consider downhill and freeride the same. Downhill is blasting down a hill, freeriding is a range of things (trail riding (which has some downhill), drops, dirt jumps, urban, skatepark type crap, logrides/northshore type sh#t, and trials type crap). 90% of "freeride stuff" clipin's would not be useful. so i guess you're wrong since he asked about "freeriding" and not downhill racing.
    Alright, you technical mofo. He said, "i have them on my XC bike and they ONLY belong on a XC bike/road."

Now tell me how a downhill bike fits into the XC bike/road category.

The Sentinel

I wonder how you know...

Exactly what does a queer look like?? Are they wearing signs now?

Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

err, 27.5+
    Old pair of red 636 shimanos. Yeah baby! Heavy, but last the test of time.