Best carbon DH bar- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Best carbon DH bar

I'm looking for a 710mm (28") DH bar for my all-mountain bike, and I'm wondering what people think the strongest carbon bar of that width is.

Right now I'm looking at the Gravity Carbon bar
    http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.as...id=407&pid=746

or the easton monkeylite DH
    http://www.eastonbike.com/PRODUCTS/B...ise_ml_dh.html

unfortunately it seems like the easton only comes in 25.4 clamp size

should I go with the easton and get a 25.4 stem?
    what would the strongest 31.8 carbon bar be?
    i really want 710 width and then to cut down if necessary, rather than get a 660mm carbon riser bar like raceface and truvativ make

thanks for the input

Glad to Be Alive
    I would not buy any carbon fiber bars period

I have watched 3 people go down......one will never ride again because of the bars
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    ya i just read some reviews/stories of people goin down on carbon

any lightweight 28" bars (31.8 clamp) you know about?

Supremely Unco-ordinated
    Personally I've never ridden with carbon DH bars, but I've gotta say I wouldn't be at all keen on the idea myself. I'll take a bit of extra weight to avoid faceplanting my stem anyday (Whether or not this is likely I'm not expert on, just my instinct!)
    Post your youtube mountain bike videos and they'll be included in our interactive World MTB video map!

N* Bomber Crew
    Carbon Bars are iffy for sure, but I hear the most common reason why they break in the most devistating fashion is because people overtighten the stem bolts.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by coldawg
    ya i just read some reviews/stories of people goin down on carbon

any lightweight 28" bars (31.8 clamp) you know about?

try here
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yeah...carbon fiber definitely isn't meant for DH. The risk just isn't worth it.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Carbon is okay for some

You have to know what you are getting in to... don't overtighten the stem, check the bar regularly (you should do this with ANY bar) and be prepared to retire it if you gouge it. Scratching is fine, but if you get through the outer layer of carbon, ditch it. (again, this is the same with aluminum, but aluminum is more resistant to gouging)

Maybe I wouldn't recommend a carbon bar for a 200lb freerider who likes to ride hard, but if you want to build a racing bike and are easy on your equipment, you will be fine. Or if, like me, you aren't a really aggressive rider. I prefer tech to speed, so I don't do many high speed get-offs.

I have the Gravity carbon bar on one of my bikes, and my wife rides them on all of hers. No problems.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by Kjcorley
    Yeah...carbon fiber definitely isn't meant for DH. The risk just isn't worth it.

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by coldawg
    I'm looking for a 710mm (28") DH bar for my all-mountain bike, and I'm wondering what people think the strongest carbon bar of that width is.

Right now I'm looking at the Gravity Carbon bar
    http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.as...id=407&pid=746

or the easton monkeylite DH
    http://www.eastonbike.com/PRODUCTS/B...ise_ml_dh.html

unfortunately it seems like the easton only comes in 25.4 clamp size

should I go with the easton and get a 25.4 stem?
    what would the strongest 31.8 carbon bar be?
    i really want 710 width and then to cut down if necessary, rather than get a 660mm carbon riser bar like raceface and truvativ make

thanks for the input
    The Gravity is superb, very very strong bar. Personally I would have no hesitation at all riding it for DH. I don't want to get into the whole carbon vs. aluminum debate, but the Gravity is far stronger than a lot of the aluminum bars out there and most of the carbon breakages you see are from people going way over the torque spec on their stem bolts.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    [email protected]
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

Disco-Superfly
    guys, he said its for his all mountain bike, which to me, isnt DH....
    use a torque wrench and you'll be fine.
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

Glad to Be Alive
    Que the song from queen

another one bites the dust.....another one bites the dust

mtbr member
    DH carbon bar seems like an oxymoron to me

mtbr member
    I broke my EC70 in one month.

The FSA OS seems to be a little stronger. My buddy goes huge on his FSA and has no problems.

I say go with with a ProTaper bar. They are almost the same weight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    carbon + dh = bad idea

i'd get teh race face diablous bars and stem. i got em a few weeks ago and love them

Disco-Superfly
    he Is Using Them For An All Mountain Bike, Not A Dh Bike!!!!!!!
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    I use a FSA K-Force DH Carbon bar since over a year at my bike with zero problems but I'm only a 170lbs rider and smooth...
    I'll say go for it but watch out for deep scratches and replace if you are unsure after a hard crash.

Later
    RaD

mtbr member
    sounds like a no no to me. Ill tell you why, my freind had a carbon bar on his ALL MOUNTAIN BIKE and still go a good sized gash in it and it was pretty musch done.

No Fear!
    FSA DH 400
    Easton EA70
    RaceFace Diabolus
    Truvativ Holzfeller

All bars ive tried,all very good choises!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    why do you want a carbon bar? is it for the weight savings? if so, why not swap out for some lighter tires instead of handlebars? a 1/2 pound difference of rotational weight is much larger and significant than the same difference in bar weight. id want a reliable bar that i dont have to worry about breaking anyways
    I went to the doctor and told him "hey doc, it hurts when I go like this" and the doc said "Does the rear feel too soft?"

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by hardrockcromo
    why do you want a carbon bar? is it for the weight savings? if so, why not swap out for some lighter tires instead of handlebars? a 1/2 pound difference of rotational weight is much larger and significant than the same difference in bar weight. id want a reliable bar that i dont have to worry about breaking anyways
    true dat

Glad to Be Alive
    all mountain is another word for freeride. It is still trail riding and hitting drops but with around 5 inches of travel or so..........man you still are going to hit stuff....and they will still break
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    he Is Using Them For An All Mountain Bike, Not A Dh Bike!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jesus, saying the word "carbon" around here is like walking into a room with a bowl of Ebola.

Use a torque wrench, you'll be fine with the Gravity or the Easton.
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bleu
    Jesus, saying the word "carbon" around here is like walking into a room with a bowl of Ebola.

how ironic....you speak of ebola and your avatar is that of a monkey..
    I went to the doctor and told him "hey doc, it hurts when I go like this" and the doc said "Does the rear feel too soft?"

mtbr member
    ya i don't want carbon anymore..

probably going w/ a Gravity aluminum bar or Truvativ Team (maybe Hozfeller) in 710mm

mtbr member
    May 2004
    For those of you who actually know something about carbon bars, I'm a 160 lbs rider, and I race all the stuff I can. Most of the courses I ride aren't too crazy. I'm not ever hucking 20 foot drops. Would something like the Gravity carbon bar be ok? I don't think I'm ever too harsh on my bike and parts, excpet when I crash, but I break aluminum stuff when I crash too.

mtbr member
    I ride the Azonic B-52 bars. They are 28" and almost as light as Carben Bars.
    Ride!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by twouareks
    For those of you who actually know something about carbon bars, I'm a 160 lbs rider, and I race all the stuff I can. Most of the courses I ride aren't too crazy. I'm not ever hucking 20 foot drops. Would something like the Gravity carbon bar be ok? I don't think I'm ever too harsh on my bike and parts, excpet when I crash, but I break aluminum stuff when I crash too.

I personally wouldn't do it

resident cynic
    I guess if you take the time to inspect a carbon bar every time you ride and have the coin to replace it whenever it gets a scratch through the finish, then go for it. Personally, I prefer having a sternum, teeth, and aluminum bars that I don't worry about.

mtbr member
    Why, when a Protaper or a EA70 is only 20-30g heavier? I just done even see why someone would even take a chance.

El Malo
    Use your best judgement... only you know your style of riding and ability.

IMO, All-Mountain is so subjective it's ridiculous. Questions of this type are usually best posed to your closer riding buds who are more experienced and know your best.

I ride wth a Diabolus bar/stem combo for trail riding. But then, my trail riding could easily be interpreted as freeriding by many.

If you are silky smooth, light, easy on your equipment, and insist on a carbon bar, you should be fine trail riding as long as you are very diligent about bike maintenance.

Good Luck !
    "... the only thing we have to fear is fear itself - "

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by evannever
    I prefer having a sternum, teeth, and aluminum bars that I don't worry about.
    Yeah, cause we all know that aluminum can't break
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

resident cynic
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    Yeah, cause we all know that aluminum can't break
    Context, sweetheart, context. I was referring to the fact that carbon bars require more attention than aluminum.

mtbr member
    Aluminum will bend USUALLY before it breaks. Carbon just breaks.

I know when my EC70 broke it just about stuck me in the leg and that would not have been pretty.

Carbon bars suck.

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by kanter
    Aluminum will bend USUALLY before it breaks. Carbon just breaks.

I know when my EC70 broke it just about stuck me in the leg and that would not have been pretty.

Carbon bars suck.
    carbon flexes..... but yes it does not "bend" as in take a new shape, it will just snap... Think composite hockey sticks......
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    ya know, there is PROBABLY a reason that none of the big hit DH and FR bikes are made of carbon fiber as well... thanks, but no... i'd take an AL bar any day of the week and twice on sunday's over any carbon bar... now, that being said, if you were an XC racer/weight weenie then sure, why not, but I highly doubt any of the 20lb XC bikes could survive an 8ft drop without twisting up like a pretzel, even if the bars survived it, doubtful the frame or wheel would...
    Life is all about honor... Get on 'er, Stay on 'er!!

98% of all teens do drugs or have tried drugs; if you are in the 2% range you ~really~ need to get out more often.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Seeing what everyone says about carbon bars is always funny. Most are uneducated and only rely on what their buddies do. A nick or scratch can have serious consequences. Most of the crashes described were from someone not paying attention to their handlebars. I would say if you are a rider doing serious hucks A LOT, I might be a little leary (just a little). Also if you never look at your equipment, be leary. I race a little dh, do some decent drops, most with a decent tranny, do a little jumping and I've been using the FSA bars for over a year with no problems at all. I would grab a carbon bar over a lightweight alloy bar anyday.
    .... and actually many XC bikes can handle 8 ft drops, just most of the riders riding them can't do them properly for the bike to handle it.

No Fear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuckfut
    Seeing what everyone says about carbon bars is always funny. Most are uneducated and only rely on what their buddies do. A nick or scratch can have serious consequences. Most of the crashes described were from someone not paying attention to their handlebars. I would say if you are a rider doing serious hucks A LOT, I might be a little leary (just a little). Also if you never look at your equipment, be leary. I race a little dh, do some decent drops, most with a decent tranny, do a little jumping and I've been using the FSA bars for over a year with no problems at all. I would grab a carbon bar over a lightweight alloy bar anyday.
    .... and actually many XC bikes can handle 8 ft drops, just most of the riders riding them can't do them properly for the bike to handle it.
    Dude STFU DUDE STFU,

Your ganna get badly injured dude!!!!!!!!!!

a proper XC bike will not handle a 8ft,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldKidBiker
    ya know, there is PROBABLY a reason that none of the big hit DH and FR bikes are made of carbon fiber as well... thanks, but no...
    The bike that won the 06 men's Junior World Championship is made of carbon fiber, buddy...I believe it did the whole WC circuit before arriving in NZ for World's.

You wanna know what Lahar's goal is? To build bikes that can last being raced competetively for five years. Carbon is FAR stronger than aluminum in regards to fatigue life.

As long as you don't hamfist the installation of a decent set of carbon bars, you will be absolutely fine. Please emerge from the stone age, DH childrens.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bleu
    The bike that won the 06 men's Junior World Championship is made of carbon fiber, buddy...I believe it did the whole WC circuit before arriving in NZ for World's.

You wanna know what Lahar's goal is? To build bikes that can last being raced competetively for five years. Carbon is FAR stronger than aluminum in regards to fatigue life.

As long as you don't hamfist the installation of a decent set of carbon bars, you will be absolutely fine. Please emerge from the stone age, DH childrens.
    one example is all you can find??? for every one you can find i can show you a dozen that won't...

carbon IS stronger, as you mention, but is much more susceptible to structural damage from impact than a quality AL forging... whack a rock with the swingarm real good and the AL bike keeps rolling, the carbon bike disintegrates... the arguement has never been about which is stronger on the CAD machine, it is mostly about practicality in this particular venue of racing... example, with nearly UNLIMITED BUDGETS, moto-x co's like honda and yamaha have not gone that route... the only company to ever put out a successful carbon race motorcycle was cagiva (road bike), and those bikes never worked properly anyway (they never won a race on the road - though that is not the fault of carbon fiber)... certainly it is possible to build a competitive race winning bike using carbon fiber as you note... but you can also drive a car to mexico using your feet, doesn't mean it's a good idea...
    Life is all about honor... Get on 'er, Stay on 'er!!

98% of all teens do drugs or have tried drugs; if you are in the 2% range you ~really~ need to get out more often.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    With you riding it, probably not.

Premium Member
    So far Bleu is pretty much the only person who knows what they're talking about.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yes, saying carbon in this forum is liking opening a big can o worms. BUT, carbon has come a lot farther than being just an XC thing.... and that's it, I'm done, won't say no more....

Members who have read this thread: 0