Best Brakes?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Best Brakes?

mtbr member

Best Brakes?

I am thinking I need new brakes. I wrecked today and broke the lever out of the housing and I will try to fix it, but if I cant...what would be my best option for brakes for less than $200?

Right now I have Hayes HFX9 HD with 200mm rotors. I like them, but if I was to get new ones I would probably want something with some more power. I am 6'9" and 300lb and could use the extra power. I found some Hayes Stroker Aces for $175 on pinkbike...is that about the best deal I can find?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Reports that I have heard on the Aces are good. You could also track down some closeout Juicy 7s. Pretty good brake - a far cry better than the HFX9s (I was on HD Mags for a while and the difference once I went with the Juicy 7s was instant and amazing).

Pricepoint had older XTs on for $169 front/rear sets. Use your current rotors. They are OK, but I like the Avids better. The XTs are now relegated to my hardtail.
    -Skimming the successpool of corporate America-

Underskilled
    This thread comes up quite often.

a magazine in the uk put all the main brakes on a mechanical gyro, the two most powerful were formula the one and shimano saint.

both have their pro's and cons (the main con on the one being the price).

I run the ones and was astounded by the jump in power from the XT, I have also used the HDs, both the saint and one destroy what you have.

When you can see the fork beinding under the braking force with just a 1 finger pull you know you have a brake.

I am similar height, but eat less pies, I can assure you the pwer jump is HUGE.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    " magazine in the uk put all the main brakes on a mechanical gyro, the two most powerful were formula the one and shimano saint."

Of course they did not test Magura Gustav's which are the most powerful brakes out. Must keep the sponsers happy.

Underskilled
    True, I forgot to mention that ommision.

I wanted to know how the gustav compared as well, but no joy.

They only tested the main stream newer hydraulics.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

Underskilled
    I think they tested some maguras, but not the gustav, can anyone link the article I cannot find?!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Here ya go.

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/ar...c-brakes-24345

Personally, I felt the article lost a lot of credibility with their analysis on the Codes. I had the Codes, and while they can be finicky for some the power was always very good on the 3 sets I had.

I have the Saints now, and yes they are kick arse. They also have better pads than the stock Codes so they perform awesome. Realistically though, I don't think that they are worlds better/more powerful than my Codes were IMO...the Codes are still very good from my experience. I'm not a light weight at 220 either.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/C...CategoryID=580

the elixir r front and rear for 200 shipped

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have a set of Codes that worked great until this past weekend. Now the rear has to be bled every ride and pieces of the reservoir are in the lines so the pistons are getting stuck .

I hear the saints have no modulation but alot riders like'em.

I second the Elixer R's. I have a set of CR's and they work great all of last season and this year.
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

mtbr member
    Blue Sky Cycling has XTR's for $130

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...-Brake-Set.htm

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    No question Saints and Formulas are some of teh strongest brakes out there, but the OP mentioned a budget of $200. You can't even get a single caliper for that price with either of those models.

The Elixir R for $200 sounds like a killer deal.
    -Skimming the successpool of corporate America-

maker of trail
    you can get the new saint on CRC for around $160 per end for the lever+hose+calliper sometimes...

I would say the old XT on pricepoint is hard to beat, those are the same as my brakes (1st gen saints) and I have zero complaints!

maker of trail

mtbr member
    I can see the saint being good, but do you honestly think the SLX is better than what I have. For some reason I feel like that would be a downgrade.

I sent the guy on pinkbike a PM about the stroker aces. I think $175 for the set would be hard to beat.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=BIGHaroHucker]I can see the saint being good, but do you honestly think the SLX is better than what I have.

Absolutely!
    Do you feel lucky? do you, punk?- Dirty Harry

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Techfreak
    Reports that I have heard on the Aces are good.
    They are, I've mine for over a year. Powerful, I'm 200 pounds and am a front of the pack CAT2 guy, I've never had an issue with slowing down. I bled them once and bought a one new set of pads. No performance problems. They've taken a few nasty crashes with scratches but nothing that has affected the performance.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

C__Corax
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by homeless junkie

I hear the saints have no modulation but alot riders like'em.
    open your ears son they got tons of modulation

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I (and one of my riding buddies) are on the saint 810's. I also have a set of codes sitting around, and my buddy is picking up a set of the 2010 formula the ones. Maybe I'll do something useful and post a shootout/comparison of them at the end of the season and see how they're holding up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DOCRIGID
    open your ears son they got tons of modulation
    I have to agree. The Saints have great modulation, noticeably better than the Elixer CR I also have, but it's not it the budget range. The Elixer R would definitely be in consideration for me at that price point. Like any other component, it has strengths and weaknesses, but overall a good brake in terms of power and weight.

mtbr member
    Any chance your buddy is selling his saints or you selling your codes?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I had the Codes. Get the Straitline Lveres.
    M O N E Y

Buuut- Can you (or you, or yeah, even you_) tell the difference from a 7" to an 8" rotor in the back with the Saints?
    The reason I ask is I'm running a 7" rotor in the rear and I get forearm pump after 15 mins of fast steep and rocky dh.
    And yes I use the front brake. Blew my D2 open last weekend OTB. Love the Leatt!!!
    Are my arms just wussy? I did take 2 months off for a new ACL to grow in.
    And now I have a tennis ball in the car I use while driving...
    Maybe my Saint pads are shot or glazed.
    How about bleeding the Saints? Do I just fill the reservoir?
    Should I pump some out of the caliper?
    Any Info would be super on the Saints.
    I thought the power was amazing when I got them but now my speed is double where it was then. Just not feeling the stoppie power anymore.

mtbr member
    So far it seems that I can't beat the deal on pinkbike. $175 for front and back Hayes Stroker Aces. Anyone know of any better deals?

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGHaroHucker
    So far it seems that I can't beat the deal on pinkbike. $175 for front and back Hayes Stroker Aces. Anyone know of any better deals?
    The black ones are the 2010 models too. The 2009s were silver.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Yes, they are the 2009's silver and red.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGHaroHucker
    Yes, they are the 2009's silver and red.
    I was thinking about selling my 2009s and getting a new pair of 2010s. I was was going to ask $200, so $175 if they are in good condition seems fine.

Underskilled
    I would save up and get the new saints,

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangesicle
    I had the Codes. Get the Straitline Lveres.
    M O N E Y

Buuut- Can you (or you, or yeah, even you_) tell the difference from a 7" to an 8" rotor in the back with the Saints?
    The reason I ask is I'm running a 7" rotor in the rear and I get forearm pump after 15 mins of fast steep and rocky dh.
    And yes I use the front brake. Blew my D2 open last weekend OTB. Love the Leatt!!!
    Are my arms just wussy? I did take 2 months off for a new ACL to grow in.
    And now I have a tennis ball in the car I use while driving...
    Maybe my Saint pads are shot or glazed.
    How about bleeding the Saints? Do I just fill the reservoir?
    Should I pump some out of the caliper?
    Any Info would be super on the Saints.
    I thought the power was amazing when I got them but now my speed is double where it was then. Just not feeling the stoppie power anymore.
    Check your brake lever position. A lot of times arm pump is due to the lever being a bit too far from your grips. Or, the levers might be rotated ever so slightly to an position that isn't optimal. Any time I change brakes, I usually ride with a tool in my pocket to make constant tweaks on the first run or two.

I use this setup to bleed mine, but I'm a sucker for cool tools: http://www.speedgoat.com/Catalog.aspx/Browse?Prod=3580

I've used the basic setup, bleeding from top down and it worked just fine.

One other thing, if you do get even a little mineral oil on your pads or rotor you're hosed. The can be cleaned up pretty well by spraying alcohol on them and heating with a torch but for most it means time for new pads.

mtbr member
    Are these the same as the 2010 stroker aces that are black? If so, why are they $30 less? Looks like a great deal to me.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm...d=115%20HAYSW0

Members who have read this thread: 0