Best bike that can climb?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Best bike that can climb?

What is the best freeride bike that can climb and? It also has to be able to take alot (15" drops)

Stack Daddy
    Jan 2004

Bullit

Quote Originally Posted by freerider_54
    What is the best freeride bike that can climb and? It also has to be able to take alot (15" drops)
    Mine works great for both. Don't know if it's the best, but since no on else has replied... Just seeing the word 'Bullit' will probably stir up all the bullit haters to respond

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    any one else myself i was thinking the six or a vp-free

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    there is really no best bike because the way it is setup is going to make a preatty big impact. Some bikes come better then others as a complete package from the factory but a lot of it is opinion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    what do you mean

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    foes fly
    pay me

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    hm, 15" drops? probably any xc bike will work just fine

Just roll it......

A buddy has a new Yeti ASX that is really sweet.

I've got a Stinky that I ride uphill pretty well, but I think I'd take a new Yeti. 7.2" of travel with a really solid design and with the DHX 5.0, it climbs really well. He also has the Sherman Breakout Plus that can be lowered for climbs. I'd say that bike could handle 15 inches or 15 feet of droppage no problem if the pilot is smooth.

Others I'd consider are the Iron Horse 7 point, the Intense VPX, VPFree or the Turner 6 Pack.

EB

mtbr member
    what do you mean
    He means there is no one best bike, everyone will have a different take on it.

Questions like these are always too vague to get any real firm answer. And all the answers are opinionated.

If you had said, "What is the best bike for a *your height and weight* along with your riding style." You'd get a more focused answer.
    Semper Fi
    Freeride Biking Club at Virginia Tech
    When I'm not riding my bike...

Quote Originally Posted by hughairboy188c
    Ban Me U Butt Holes

Dab Master
    I second the BULLIT. Mine is set up at 38 lbs and climbs fine...it takes a beating also

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The norco six or vpfree are two of the more pedal freaindly bikes i have messed with lately.

mntl

banned
    With out a doubt vp free thats what I do.

kona-tize me captain
    vp free- it has been discussed before many times
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    prophet is nice...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    My Knolly outclimbs every freeride/DH bike I've ever had. However, these are also wicked climbing bikes:

Turner 6pack
    Uzzi VPX
    VP-Free
    Norco Six
    Specialized SX Trail, Demo8/9

It's not as much about setup as it is about the general intention of the design. Freeride bikes will generally climb ok. DH race bikes are notoriously bad to climb since they're designed to be soft, low and generally have poor seat height adjustability. At this point with all the great designs out there a freeride bike with a brutally short interrupted seat tube is a poorly designed one. Yes there are telescoping posts but you shouldn't need to use one.

Even at 47 lbs I still managed to outclimb most of the riders I encountered during a recent trip to Fruita/Moab. Weight isn't really that big a deal as you'll get stronger. A poor pedalling bike, however, will always suck. Luckily with the advent of platform shocks even really bad pedalling bikes (i.e. Bullits w/ Vanilla RCs) pedal pretty well.

So to end this ramble. Good climbing means good geometry and a stable platform shock.

mtbr member
    if you are only doing 15 inch drops maybe an aggressive trail bike would be better than a full on FR. If you meant 15 foot drops and you still want it to climp they you are really asking, "of all the heavy, hard to pedal, monster bikes, which one isn't that heavy and hard to pedal. The answer would probably be a VP free or a Gemini or even a Bullit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    depends alot in the build aswell, i dont have any problems pedalling my 44 1/2 pound banshee scream with an RC shock, it'd be even nicer with a dhx, 6-way, or 5th depends how strong yer legs are i guess

MK_
    carpe mañana
    VP Free for sure and I hear the Iron Horse 7point7s DW link is superb up and down.

_MK

"The things you get fired for when you’re young are the same things you get Lifetime Achievements for when you’re old."

mtbr member

foes fly

Mine is set up at 42lbs and I don't even notice it. Climbs much nicer than my old bighit and is so choice on the way down.
    peace

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

VPfree

I got a VPfree with a 888RC and it climbs great for a 40lbs bike, no peddle bob as long as I'm seated.

mtbr member
    VP free, sx trail(maybe/depends). the SXT is a good climbing bike and can take big hits, but not as big are some other bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freerider167
    VP free, sx trail(maybe/depends). the SXT is a good climbing bike and can take big hits, but not as big are some other bikes.
    Stinky or Coiler Dee are good "package deal" freeride bikes but I wouldn't do 15 footers on a 6 inch bike. Maybe on a Stinky but if you can afford to custom build I'd vote for a VP-Free or VPX just because they're about the lightest most nimble 8 inch bikes out there. I'm saving up for a VPX myself.
    You have bleed with Wallace.....now bleed with me!

Bike Hoor
    I have a VPX (had an ASX last year) and the VPX is a great climber. Of course the weight is always there, but there is also endless traction and the geometry puts you in a good position to attack a climb. I can't speak for the VP Free, but I hear very similar things. I think those 2 have to be in the top 3-4 of any list like this.

Maybe we need to do an VPX vs VP Free head to head here at the shop.
    Pedalling the goods since 2002.
    http://www.boutiquebikes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Innocent Bystander
    I have a VPX (had an ASX last year) and the VPX is a great climber. Of course the weight is always there, but there is also endless traction and the geometry puts you in a good position to attack a climb. I can't speak for the VP Free, but I hear very similar things. I think those 2 have to be in the top 3-4 of any list like this.

Maybe we need to do an VPX vs VP Free head to head here at the shop.
    titus super moto FR. worth every penny. fantastic traction and braking. if you are only going to have one bike, it can do it.

but my personal feeling is that any thing with SPV is going to be OK.

There's no app for this.

Knolly vs Bullit

my only comparison is with the 01 and 03 Bullits I had; the Knolly is head and shoulders a better climber, even though the bike is about 10lb heavier. I was very pleasantly surprised,

Jim

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by fattireb
    I second the BULLIT. Mine is set up at 38 lbs and climbs fine...it takes a beating also
    that is a heavy bullit....you can get those around 32 to 35 pounds.

also the VP free
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Got Doubles? Pun Intended
    Mar 2005
    You're going to get soo many different opinions here with a question like that.

My point...personal preference rules.

What are you riding now??? If your dropping 15 ft. you should be a fairly skilled and experienced rider.
    If you hope to be able to drop 15 ft one day then that's a different story.

No and days with stable platform shock technology...most bikes in the moderate weight range (30-40 lbs) with a double chain ring climb pretty well.
    I ride the new Intense Uzzi VPX, cousin to the Santa Cruz VP free, and it climbs incredibly well.
    Now keep in mind that I hate climbing, but this is what these bikes were designed for.
    The Virtual Pivot technology was designed to be able to climb and the VPX version has 7" of travel to back it up on any type of decent Including 15' drops.

At the same time I see guys every weekend with 4 bar linkage...single pivot...whaterver...climbing...some looking like the're struggling more than others.

Go out and ride a few different bikes...decide for your self.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pamela Anderson

"Freeriderizzle is soo haut right now"

mtbr member
    another vote for FOES FLY w/ Curnutt, the best climbing huck-able dh-race-able do everything bike money can buy imho. mine is built up about 42 lbs, climbs great, and descends like, uh, f- amazing. i have a ventana trail bike too, but don't ride it anymore at all, i ride my fly everywhere. i really love my fly. it's the bestest bike i've ever owned. lol.

yeah, of course you'll get plenty of different answers, but those other guys are just plain wrong. get the fly dude. you'll dig it.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by VooDoo13
    Stinky or Coiler Dee are good "package deal" freeride bikes but I wouldn't do 15 footers on a 6 inch bike. Maybe on a Stinky but if you can afford to custom build I'd vote for a VP-Free or VPX just because they're about the lightest most nimble 8 inch bikes out there. I'm saving up for a VPX myself.
    You can definitely do 15 footers on a 6 inch Stinky... I've got an '02 with 6" in the rear and it handles big drops - no problemo. After all, it's more about the pitch of the landing and the skill of the rider, not the size of the drop. Any baffoon can jump off something big, not everyone can land them right.

My next bike will be a VP-Free, VPX, Iron Horse Sunday or something with a Virtual Pivot linkage style. I like to climb as well so it's important to me.

EB

El Mas Chingon

Imho

Turner RFX
    Moots Cinco
    Vassago Optimus Ti
    Cervelo Prodigy

SNOWRIDER
    Who the hell wants to climb ??
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

mtbr member
    Well maybe it's 15' maybe 15" but you know what hasn't been mentioned? What if it's 15' to flat!!!!!!!! In that case go for a Karpiel Armageddon with a Super Monster, that thing will pedal up a hill like butter!

not really a noob
    Quote Originally Posted by david8613
    prophet is nice...
    prothet cant do 15 footers!
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD

not really a noob
    Quote Originally Posted by hardcoe newbie
    prothet cant do 15 footers!
    but they are pretty nivce
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD

TJ.
    MRI Magnet Quencher Fixer

A 24" rear wheel helps.

I have a Big Hit. It weighs 40 pounds. With a 34t rear cassette, and the 24" rear wheel I can climb like a goat. Not fast though.

TJ
    All my friends, and associates call me Uncle Rico.

www.fatboy.s5.com

Who are the brain police?
    Butter pedals uphill?
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

You can pedal anything uphill if you have a reasonable gear on it and you believe that the suffering will make you stronger (it will). If you're looking for something that will climb like a billygoat, XC style, you're out of luck. You're going to have to find a compromise that works well for you individually. There are already a ton of suggestions, but one that might have been overlooked is the Cannondale Gemini (the single pivot ones, I know nothing about the re-designed ones). They seem to climb pretty well for 7" bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMk
    You can pedal anything uphill if you have a reasonable gear on it and you believe that the suffering will make you stronger (it will).
    true that. i think you're basically limited to any bike that is compatible with a front derailer. without a front derailer, imo you're screwed. you can however -push- any bike uphill. i hear the V10 pushes uphill really well, that's when the VPP technology really excels.

mtbr member
    My vote is for the VP-Free like most others here. A VP-Free pedals really nice. But you're still gonna suffer if you put real DH wheels and tires on your bike, that's for sure. There's no denying the impact of rolling resistance on hills.

And a big thumbs down on the Stinkies for sure. They're terrible climbers. Same with the RMX. Brutal. My Big Hit DH with Sherman Slider Plus, Mag 30s, and Minion DH / High Roller DH combo put the Stinky and RMX to shame.

Dab Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    that is a heavy bullit....you can get those around 32 to 35 pounds.

also the VP free
    Thats what my Trek Liquid is built up for (31 - 33 pounds - depending on wheels/tires) for an all-around ride.

I gots the bullit alittle beafier - still climbs GREAT!