Best 9" Travel- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Best 9" Travel

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thebigbomber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    36

    Best 9" Travel

    fork available? I am trying to even out my bike a bit and I need to get a bigger fork. I have 10" of travel in the back and need a fairly cost effective 9" travel fork.
    The Big Bomber
    The Bombsquad Freeride Team

  2. #2
    Uhhhhh...
    Reputation: TheSherpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,894
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigbomber
    fork available? I am trying to even out my bike a bit and I need to get a bigger fork. I have 10" of travel in the back and need a fairly cost effective 9" travel fork.
    Uh, none. You don't need 9" up front.

    -TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thebigbomber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    36

    I am getting into...

    some different things and right now the Shiver with its heaviest weight springs and oil seems to be bottoming out too much for me. Im not into Monster T's but want to go a little bigger.
    The Big Bomber
    The Bombsquad Freeride Team

  4. #4
    WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?!
    Reputation: Skygrounder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    403
    The only forks I've seen with greater travel than 8" are the Marz Super Monster (12") and the MTN-10 from Avalanche (10").

    http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/mtn10.html
    A MTN-10 can be yours for the low price of $3695.

    Beyond the fact they exist, I know little-nothing about them.

    Quote Originally Posted by thebigbomber
    some different things and right now the Shiver with its heaviest weight springs and oil seems to be bottoming out too much for me. Im not into Monster T's but want to go a little bigger.
    --Tod

    "I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's law; I merely enforce it."

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: East Coast Bender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    771
    Risse makes a 9in travel fork
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinky05rider
    bmx is not dh/freeride....tight jeans are for girls

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Scott@GO-RIDE.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,330
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigbomber
    fork available? I am trying to even out my bike a bit and I need to get a bigger fork. I have 10" of travel in the back and need a fairly cost effective 9" travel fork.
    If you really want a great big drop fork on a budget I would find an 8" Monster T. Yeah it's 12+ lbs., but its bomb proof and takes huge drops.

    If you want something that is still fun to ride on days that aren't just big drops I'd recommend an 888 set up by Go-ride.com. We know that fork very well and can set it for the type of riding you want to do.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

  7. #7
    Perpetrator of Lawsuits
    Reputation: BigDigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    If you really want a great big drop fork on a budget I would find an 8" Monster T. Yeah it's 12+ lbs., but its bomb proof and takes huge drops.

    If you want something that is still fun to ride on days that aren't just big drops I'd recommend an 888 set up by Go-ride.com. We know that fork very well and can set it for the type of riding you want to do.
    Scott,

    I have an '04 888 RR on my Demo9, which has the hscv rebound damper but ssvf compression. I want to put the hscv damper w/ external adjust on the compression side. I also need to get the x-firm springs as I weigh 260. Can your shop get me these parts, or better still, what would you charge to put all that stuff in and tune the fork to my riding? I live in CA but I could always ship it.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Scott@GO-RIDE.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,330
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDigger
    Scott,

    I have an '04 888 RR on my Demo9, which has the hscv rebound damper but ssvf compression. I want to put the hscv damper w/ external adjust on the compression side. I also need to get the x-firm springs as I weigh 260. Can your shop get me these parts, or better still, what would you charge to put all that stuff in and tune the fork to my riding? I live in CA but I could always ship it.
    We have both the springs and the cartridge in stock. Because of the difficulty in changing springs I would recommend sending your fork to us to have them installed.

    For a 260 lbs. rider I would recommend 2 X-Firm springs, max oil height and a Low Speed compression adjuster. The LS comp adj. would help to prevent the fork form diving when braking or on steep descents.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

  9. #9
    north bush biker
    Reputation: NRTH SHORE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,189

    what about

    what about the new fox 40 or 36 forx? they sound like they fit the bill
    RIDE HARD,RIDE FAST

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thebigbomber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    36

    Are there stiffer springs

    available for the 03 shiver? Can you put some Monster T springs in them?
    The Big Bomber
    The Bombsquad Freeride Team

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Scott@GO-RIDE.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,330
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigbomber
    available for the 03 shiver? Can you put some Monster T springs in them?
    There are x-firm springs for the Shiver. Monster T springs won't fit a shiver.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thebigbomber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    36

    Which ones are those?

    I don't know who makes those...
    The Big Bomber
    The Bombsquad Freeride Team

Similar Threads

  1. Marzocchi Fork Oil Change (MX-Pro)
    By Maestro in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-01-2017, 11:35 AM
  2. Squeeze more travel out of an ETSX ???
    By angelic fruitcake in forum Canadian Bikes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-07-2004, 07:38 AM
  3. Question on long travel bike height.
    By BanzaiRider in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-14-2004, 08:45 PM
  4. Marz MX Comp not getting full travel? take some oil out.
    By phil. in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-30-2004, 02:33 PM
  5. How much travel does your fork really get?
    By Structure in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-14-2004, 07:02 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.