bent steertube- Mtbr.com

Thread: bent steertube

Don't skid

bent steertube

I posted the pics of my taco'd wheel a few days ago. Today my replacement wheels came in, Azonic Outlaws. I put the front one on tonight and jump on the bike for a test ride. I immediately noticed that it pulled to the left when I was riding. So I stop and check it, everything looked fine so I thought maybe its in my head. I rode it again and noticed the same thing. Well this went on for about an hour until I came to the conclusion that the fork must be bent at the steer tube. I pulled the fork off and could see it immediately. The bend isn't huge but it is definately noticeable. I'm really bummed. I wanted to go jumping tommorrow, I even gave myself the day off to go.
    Anyway so how should I try to handle this? I bought the fork from Santiam Cycles up in Salem last summer but have no idea where the reciept is. I'm in pretty good with the bike shop here in SB so I think they would probably help me out even though I didn't buy from them. Should I take it there or should I call Marzocchi myself?

I jonesin to go jumping on my p2. I could throw my Super T on it. Has anyone tried that? Seems like it would raise the front end too much.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't skid
    BTW the fork is an 04 DJ3.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KONA_in_SB
    BTW the fork is an 04 DJ3.
    you will have to send that fork back to the zoke. it could have a tweaked crown and/or stanchion too. better off doin the safe thang and letting the experts figure it out. p2s are a little steep in tha head angle anyway so the super t will be fine. run a lower profile front tire to compensate.
    Divide Bike Bags

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Go through your LBS for the repair. Usually easier for them to deal with the service center. It is not a warranty issue so you do not need the receipt.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Don't skid
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Go through your LBS for the repair. Usually easier for them to deal with the service center. It is not a warranty issue so you do not need the receipt.
    Ya I figure that what I'll do. They open in an hour. This may be a good excuse to upgrade to something with a thru-axle, DJ1 maybe.

rollin
    dayum dog!
    thrashin parts!

mtbr member
    That Zoke's got Slang!

rollin
    soak it in coca cola
    the coke will soften the aluminum
    and then you can bend it back
    i read it on the internet

Youngbuck
    lol sriracha your answer to everything is soak it in coke. but that really sucks that you bent your steer tube..i think the Super T would be too tall.
    Honorary Member of the: 500 club

Just mount it backwards and then intentionally come up short enough to plow your front into the backside of a landing on a large gap to bend it back.

Don't skid
    OK so the DJ3 is on the way back to Marzocchi with a quote price of $65 to replace the steer tube + S+H. We'll see what the price comes to and how long it takes. In the mean time my Stinky is outa commish too (new cranks on the way under warrenty, Tunnel's a b!tch I tell ya) so i grabbed the Super T off of it and put it on the P2. I'll hit the DJ's tommorrow if I'm not too hung over and let you know how it handles, I'm anxious too see myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images

soviet pride
    OK so the DJ3 is on the way back to Marzocchi with a quote price of $65 to replace the steer tube + S+H. We'll see what the price comes to and how long it takes. In the mean time my Stinky is outa commish too (new cranks on the way under warrenty, Tunnel's a b!tch I tell ya) so i grabbed the Super T off of it and put it on the P2. I'll hit the DJ's tommorrow if I'm not too hung over and let you know how it handles, I'm anxious too see myself.
    that bike needs to be cleaned before u lean it against a fine couch like that
    im all about midget drops

ridin' is my escape
    the outlaws are sick huh?
    my freind did that to his drop off's and amrzocchi didnt cover it, so he paid a certain ammount and marzocchi put like a steel head tube on, and a z1 free ride crown, pretty cool i guess.
    _SouthBaySoldiers_

rollin
    i'm tellin yah, just put it in a bath of coca cola
    it's a trik i learnt at a bike shop back in tha day

Don't skid
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikepinkbikes
    That fine couch you talk about has so much beer, piss, cvm, and vomit on it you wouldn't believe, and that was just from me last weekend after the bars closed. I would like to say there was a women with me at the time but I doubt it.

Seriuosly someone gave us that couch, that's why the print looks like a pair of panties. (maybe that why it has so much beer, piss, cvm, and vomit is on it. Women's panty's can get pretty messy you know ).

rollin
    That fine couch you talk about has so much beer, piss, cvm, and vomit on it you wouldn't believe
    soak it in coca cola
    it'll clean right up

Don't skid
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    soak it in coca cola
    it'll clean right up
    Dude, isn't it passed your bed time? Come out to e-wood tomorrow AM. Maybe I'll let you have a go on the couch with all the Coca-Cola you can handle.

rollin
    we were there yesterday
    good times

18 years old
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikepinkbikes

you meen the couch has to be cleaned before leaned up agianst a fine bike like that?!
    Quote Originally Posted by irieness
    ...it's just that when I'm wondering what things are like head tube, seat post, cranks, flux capacitor, SS, FS, hardtail...