Benefits of smaller-vs-larger frame for FR?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Benefits of smaller-vs-larger frame for FR?

I'm leaning toward an SX Trail and at 5'6" I seem to be between a Small and Med sized frame.

Ridden both around the parking lot and they both felt good... I'm definitely going to demo both at the resort before I buy but wondering if anyone is in a similar situation and has any recommendations.

The bike shop and Specialized sizing guide put 5'6" in both the small and medium category. --> http://www.evanscycles.com/product_d...zing-chart.pdf

So is in making my decision is it safe to say that: a small frame is more jumpable, but the longer wheel base of the medium will perform better on steeps and pedal better?

Thx

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by edenger View Post
    I

So is in making my decision is it safe to say that: a small frame is more jumpable, but the longer wheel base of the medium will perform better on steeps and pedal better?

Thx
    yes.

I'm 6' and ride a large SX Trail. I feel like it's a good long frame that is comfortable for racing DH and great on flowy singletrack.
    It does not, however, feel all that nimble or "flickable" to me at this size.
    It kinda depends on what you want out of the bike. I'm glad I went with the large.

mtbr member
    In general a smaller frame is easier to flick around and if you're into FR, that can be really important.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

Now with More Wood
    Define FR...if it's lots of tight singletrack with jumps and drops all over, go small. If you mean pedal to the top and let 'er rip down...medium...
    Last edited by Iceman2058; 08-21-2011 at 11:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058 View Post
    Define FR...if it's lot's of tight singletrack with jumps and drops all over, go small. If you mean pedal to the top and let 'er rip down...medium...
    Can I say "lot's of tight singletrack with jumps and drops" that I then have to pedal up to the top. The pedaling is on fire roads, or more manageable terrain. But riding trails like Porcupine I don't want to hit my knees on the bars. I guess I just have to demo both and see.

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by edenger View Post
    Can I say "lot's of tight singletrack with jumps and drops" that I then have to pedal up to the top. The pedaling is on fire roads, or more manageable terrain. But riding trails like Porcupine I don't want to hit my knees on the bars. I guess I just have to demo both and see.
    Best way to know for sure.

OMG!
    I'm a couple inches taller than you and ride a medium demo 8.
    I had the same dilemma between a s or m frame...

Weigh your options based in your most common terrain and riding style. Tight turns or high speed? Plow rider or smooth line guy? A more stable jumping platform or a more maneuverable bike in the air?

mtbr member
    I ride a Haro X6 Comp and its a Medium I am 6'1 and 180 lb its def too small for going up to the top but on the way down when i lower the seat and lean back it kicks A$$ and i love it. So when i go up i have to have my seat maxed out and im not as fast peddling up the hill.

End result you have to realize what your going to do with the bike like every one is saying. If i was going to buy a bike again i would get a Large just for the comfort of going up to the top.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm at 5'11 and ride a medium wildcard, the only time that I ever hit my knees is when I'm trying to pedal seated through tighter corners.

Personally, I prefer the smallest bike that I can comfortably pedal, that way I can ride to the top and its no bother, but the bike is small enough to flick around as I go down.
    Just another redneck with a bike