Bender sticks a backflip at Rampage Day 2 course- Mtbr.com
    banned

Bender sticks a backflip at Rampage Day 2 course

I just heard yesterday from my buddy who has been talking to Josh Bender since we last visited him in Virgin (we returned 1.5 weeks ago). There's a gap/hip/booter at the bottom of the Rampage Day 2 course, and while I was there I was watching Bender and two of my buddies hit the jump.

Bender was getting HUGE air and told me he was considering a backflip.

On Tuesday, I asked my LBS to order a Scream for me. While they were talking to Banshee, a call came in from Derek Westerlund's film crew (working on NWD 5 or 6, whatever it will be) saying that Bender successfully stuck a back flip at the same bottom gap/hip/booter that I watched him work.

Now I'm wondering ... what thoughts does this provoke from anyone who previously called Bender a no-talent drop guy who fails more than he lands?

I HUCK WITH CHUCK
    I think he has plenty of talent, I think he is just willing to go biggest, so that will get him in videos. If he didnt go so big, he would be good, but not the best, so why put him in the video. Thats awesome he pulled a backflip.

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    i must admit he has balls but he aint the best freerider out there...i do recall someone who entered the UFC this year (got the the last 12) landed a drop that bender couldnt do in dosorder 3...just a thought...

my congrats go out to him for landing the backflip...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

mtbr member
    Bender obiously has talent, but when you're the only guy pushing the max size of drops, everybody is gonna call you crazy/no-skill
    "Better safe than scarry"

www.3dmtb.net

Rides like wrecking ball
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    Now I'm wondering ... what thoughts does this provoke from anyone who previously called Bender a no-talent drop guy who fails more than he lands?
    First thought that popped into my mind....LUCKY PULL. He's still the roughest/sketchiest rider I've seen. Big balls though, knowing you're going to fail 95% of the time and still going for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

Doesnt ride Banshees
    I wonder what bike he did it on!? It couldnt be one of his super monster bikes, how would you get that fork to do a back flip? lmao. Thats awesome if he pulled it. im kinda mixed with bender, i do think he falls on alot of stuff but i wonder if thats just what we see? i mean his section in nwd 3 and 4 were only like a minute long and only showed 3 or 4 drops each anyways. Besides, that the stuff he was hitting in nwd 2 was huge. the drop he opens up with is the same size drop you see alot of riders finally starting to hit in the newer videos.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Look at it this way... Guys are flipping almost anything else you can ride right now.... Why would Bender flipping a big bike seem so unlikely?

Brian

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    On Tuesday, I asked my LBS to order a Scream for me. While they were talking to Banshee, a call came in from Derek Westerlund's film crew (working on NWD 5 or 6, whatever it will be) saying that Bender successfully stuck a back flip at the same bottom gap/hip/booter that I watched him work.....

....Now I'm wondering ... what thoughts does this provoke from anyone who previously called Bender a no-talent drop guy who fails more than he lands?
    What I'm wondering is why YOU would order a Scream when you could just build your own?!

/dev/null
    Bender clearly has some talent or he wouldn't be alive now.

However, 90% of what he is known for requires little to no talent, it simply requires a complete supression of your survival instinct and a little luck.

I don't see why one backflip pulls him out of that "balls-instead-of-talent" category. Backflips are getting to be pretty commonplace now. At least he's expanding his horizons, though. For my money, tricks/technical stunts off mid-sized drops/jumps are far more interesting than heaving your bike off a cliff and hoping to stick it.

banned
    Mar 2004
    Backflips are rediculously easy. You pull back, if you look back all the way around your money. A girl who rode for 5 weeks did one on MTV, yeah mad skills.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    Cedric pulled a backflip at redbull and people were all like omg yeah cedrics the man hes so good hes the best at freeride and dh. Now bender pulls a backflip and you guys are pfff who gives a sh*t backflips are easy, everyone does them now, a girl on mtv did one, who cares bender sucks.

Its pretty rediculious to me to think bender could probably 360 of the jah drop (exaggerated example here) and everyone would probably still be who cares barrecloth was doing 360s of drops a long time ago, bender sucks.

banned
    Mar 2004
    Backflips have been easy since the origin of the foam pit. It's a backflip get over it.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Budget Rollin'
    Backflips have been easy since the origin of the foam pit. It's a backflip get over it.

I could care less about tricks like a backflip, im saying its stupid that you glorify cedric for a backflip and then say its an easy trick when bender does it.

/dev/null
    Quote Originally Posted by Banshee Rider
    I could care less about tricks like a backflip, im saying its stupid that you glorify cedric for a backflip and then say its an easy trick when bender does it.
    What makes you think Cedric is glorified for that backflip? It was a very stylish move to throw into a spectacular run. He's glorified for his awesome run, not for the one style element he threw in.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    Im not saying that cedrics run wasnt sick, it was very sick, and something i always always read in everything about redbull 03 is cedrics backflip and im sure when you saw it you were like "wow that was sick". What i was trying to get at is why is it that bender doesnt get that same response of "wow that was sick" he gets the "who cares backflips are an easy trick"...am i the only person who really see's that?

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Budget Rollin'
    Backflips are rediculously easy. You pull back, if you look back all the way around your money. A girl who rode for 5 weeks did one on MTV, yeah mad skills.
    Did she pull it on a dirt jump?
    Oh, that's right, no.
    LBR, keep practicing your back flips on your "foam pit", your bed. =)

I liked Timo's double-back attempt in Ride the Lightening....

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zachdank
    backflip on a mountain bike is no way no how easy. anyone that is sayin that it ain't $hit, or easy, let's see a pic of you doin one. that is what i thought.
    Muffin told me they wernt hard after he landed a nice spine to boxjump transfer flip at a skatepark yesterday.

Xtremely Moderate
    Superman can beat up Spiderman.

My dad can beat up your dad.

Who friggin' cares?

Face value. So what. Get over it. Shut up.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    spiderman would wreck the sh*t outta superman and his sh*ttie undies over his pants...

Xtremely Moderate
    I dont know............

I think Superman and Spidey have the same fashion consultant.

They both look a little.......um.......um........ odd.

Good point though.

Why does Superman wear his underwear outside his clothes?
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

a'buh?
    that girl on MTV did one in an indoor skate park...she was only the second chick to ever pull off a backflip in competition. Though this was on a BMX bike, and I have to imagine it'd be easier on that than on a mtb

Flying Piece of...
    Jun 2004

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Banshee Rider
    I wonder what bike he did it on!? It couldnt be one of his super monster bikes, how would you get that fork to do a back flip? lmao.
    He did it on his proto Banshee (9") with a Zoke 888 on the front. The bike wieghs about 50 lbs now without the Monster.

Wait til he does the cliff drop to backflip, then talk smack eh?

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by e<i>o
    I dont know............

I think Superman and Spidey have the same fashion consultant.

They both look a little.......um.......um........ odd.

Good point though.

Why does Superman wear his underwear outside his clothes?
    ok u guys superman would beat up spidy, but batman would kick both their azzes
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

Gear Whore
    Who are you guys kidding, Superman would beat all their asses. But they all rock, good thing they are all good guys and wont be fighting each other, in the meantime they can lay the smackdown on the badguys.....GO SUPERHEROES.

Oh and talk about girls doing backflips, here is one for ya....Hannah

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Baddcog
    He did it on his proto Banshee (9") with a Zoke 888 on the front. The bike wieghs about 50 lbs now without the Monster.

Wait til he does the cliff drop to backflip, then talk smack eh?
    He must have switched his setups, because 2 weeks ago, the raw metal proto 9" frame was running a Super Monster, and the general Scream frame was running a 888.

Flying Piece of...
    Jun 2004
    He must have switched his setups, because 2 weeks ago, the raw metal proto 9" frame was running a Super Monster, and the general Scream frame was running a 888.
    Yep, sendin the Monster to Zoke tommorrow

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    e<i>o i dunno why he wears his undies over his pants...but i do know that he wouldnt beat spiderman...neither batman...batman would kill superman and spiderman would kill batman...

Xtremely Moderate
    We need a Spiderman vs. Batman vs. Superman cage match and let 'em fight to the death.

But if Spidey snuffs out Batman, Robin will be sooooo sad.

All these guys rumblin' around in their tighties has a horrible Village People overtone.

I think we need a beotch match instead.

Mmmmmm......

Cat Woman vs. Batgirl vs. Superwoman?...............

.........w/ jello.

Xtremely Moderate

BJ is this you?

Hey BJ, this be you?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Bender is one of the pioneers of the sport. For you guys to say he sucks isn't right. He could probably outride all of you anyway. Without guys like him the sport wouldn't be where it is right now. He pushed the envelope years ago when no one knew you could even do big drops on a mountain bike. Remember Down? Yeah he crashed but it was awesome. I think in that one movie Bender and Krispy changed mountainbiking forever. Are they the best freeriders or racers now? Hell no. But could they outride most of us? Hell yeah. It doesn't change the fact that years ago they were some of the first guys doing big stuff. And in the super hero throwdown I think Super man would kick ass.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Moriority
    Bender is one of the pioneers of the sport. For you guys to say he sucks isn't right. He could probably outride all of you anyway. Without guys like him the sport wouldn't be where it is right now. He pushed the envelope years ago when no one knew you could even do big drops on a mountain bike. Remember Down? Yeah he crashed but it was awesome. I think in that one movie Bender and Krispy changed mountainbiking forever. Are they the best freeriders or racers now? Hell no. But could they outride most of us? Hell yeah. It doesn't change the fact that years ago they were some of the first guys doing big stuff. And in the super hero throwdown I think Super man would kick ass.
    word, in DOWN (1 or 2) his section wass boss. he was killing huge drop/gaps with style (no footers and no handers and such) like 15-20 total and only ate it on like 2 (one of them was shown from 3 different angles).

that's where his bad rep comes from. you only see one angle of a huge landed trick, but 5 different angles of the same wreck

banned

I've said it before and I'll say it again,...

I don't know anyone who has ridden with Bender and STILL said that he doesn't have skill.

to say that backflips are "nothing" is laughable. how many posters in here do backflips?

I suggest all you tough guys and gals go to Virgin and ride with Bender -- ride his trails and ride HIS lines on those trails... and then come back here and tell us all how easily you embarrassed him into quitting MTB riding.

good luck.

Pro Crastinator
    I don't know anyone who has ridden with Bender and STILL said that he doesn't have skill.

to say that backflips are "nothing" is laughable. how many posters in here do backflips?

I suggest all you tough guys and gals go to Virgin and ride with Bender -- ride his trails and ride HIS lines on those trails... and then come back here and tell us all how easily you embarrassed him into quitting MTB riding.

good luck.
    i rode a trail up in the bay area (nor cal) that Bender helped build. i got rocked so hard on that trail that now wear my helmet while just out at the dirt jumps..... (something i never did in over 20 years)

changed my whole perspective on him.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I am with you... And I used to be one of the crap talkers.... I haven't ridden with Bender, but several guys who's opinions I hold in high regard have and they have all told me he is a lot better rider than what you see in the videos. Also, from personal experience, he really is a cool guy. No rock star attitude. I am hoping there is a trip to a foam pit in my future so I can hit a flip, say I did it, and be done with it...

Brian

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppy
    Who are you guys kidding, Superman would beat all their asses. But they all rock, good thing they are all good guys and wont be fighting each other, in the meantime they can lay the smackdown on the badguys.....GO SUPERHEROES.

Oh and talk about girls doing backflips, here is one for ya....Hannah

Nobody has said it so far so.......That girl is badass!!!!!!!!

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT
    Nobody has said it so far so.......That girl is badass!!!!!!!!
    that's because we already said it in the other ten threads about her....

mtbr member
    I think bender was the DH champ of some state... arkansas I think...
    "Better safe than scarry"

www.3dmtb.net