Below budget downhill bike | reliable- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

We the people ... Below budget downhill bike | reliable

Hello,
    looking to get into downhill mountain biking, but some of the prices out there I could go buy a car instead!?!? My max that I would pay would be $1500.
    yes I know that is very very cheap for a DH, but I mean c'mon. 3 grand?
    so is there any out there that are pretty cheap, but reliable? Of course after a couple years I would definitely have the bike built up a bit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'm looking into one aswell for next year on a budget. What keeps coming up is Airborne Toxin at $1750 Airborne Bicycles. Toxin

Glad to Be Alive
    I know the story very well.....just like many others....I use to laugh at people with 1000 or 2000 dollar bikes...I was riding a Zieg Lam (out of biz I think) ....anyway I got a deal on a Kona Stinky....it road a whole lot better and parts were not literally falling off....then I got a used 2002 Big Hit Comp with the big hit link (more travel and a Shiver)...the bike used was 1800. It was really awesome...the difference was amazing...then I built up a recoil for 4,000....current bike is an 7500 to 9,000 dollar build. Any way you slice it you get what you pay for.

Now I would recommend a used bike....You can get great deals for 1500....great great deals
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Any big name DH bike will suit you well and there should be some good deals coming as the season is winding down. If you have a DH park or shop that rents bikes see if they are selling any rentals. They will be well used but usually good deals that will at least get you going. MY local park was selling '12 Giant Glorys for $999.99 which I thought was a fantastic deal.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Below budget downhill bike | reliable

^this, also look for the more niche brands waaay off season, like dead winter, on Craigslist, eBay pinkbike etc. There are great deals to be had after Xmas until April tax returns, on smaller brands people don't search for as much like Rocky Mountain, yeti, pivot, Devinci, Lapierre, etc, used or new.