Bell Bellistic vs. Bell Drop- Mtbr.com
    Capricious youth...

Bell Bellistic vs. Bell Drop

Any experience?

I had a Bell Bellistic that I took two good knocks on the head with, and my noggin' is okay. Anyway, I'm a huge fan of Bell because of the way that they fit. Giro, 661, Fox, etc. just never fit my head right, so I'm definitely set on a Bell helmet.

The Bellistic is about 900 grams, but I've confirmed it's build quality with the falls I've taken. The Drop is 1/2 the weight, and the mouth piece is slightly smaller (better for mobility and visibility, but it brings the protective surface closer to your face... so there's the positive and the negative right there).

So the question is, do I go with the Bellistic or the Drop?

Meh.

dontcha?
    The drop looks cooler and supposedly more visibility due to a bigger eye port.. I'd say the drop..
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettym1k3
    Any experience?

I had a Bell Bellistic that I took two good knocks on the head with, and my noggin' is okay. Anyway, I'm a huge fan of Bell because of the way that they fit. Giro, 661, Fox, etc. just never fit my head right, so I'm definitely set on a Bell helmet.

The Bellistic is about 900 grams, but I've confirmed it's build quality with the falls I've taken. The Drop is 1/2 the weight, and the mouth piece is slightly smaller (better for mobility and visibility, but it brings the protective surface closer to your face... so there's the positive and the negative right there).

So the question is, do I go with the Bellistic or the Drop?

I have a Bellistic and I love it. Like yours, it took a nasty knock at Ray's last year.
    As for your choice, that may have to be your own. I would take what you mentioned into consideration...the weight (which IMO the Bellistic isn't heavy at all), and the mouth piece. I personally prefer a long mouth piece, both for the fact that it's not close to my chin, and the fact that you have more breathing room. I've noticed that short mouthpiece helmets tend to hold in heat more(since there is less room for the air to flow through), and can fog up your goggles quicker. I also feel a bit more claustrophobic in the short mouthpiece helmets. I also find that the long mouthpiece helmets don't really limit my mobility or visibility. But that's just my preference.
    So I don't think it's a matter of which is the better helmet; you probably won't go wrong with either of them, just go with whatever feels more comfortable for you.
    Jump it onto something off of something or over something.

There's more to freeriding than dirt jumps.

mtbr member
    looking at the drop and remedy they are very similar,since giro took over bell.

i have bell bellistic and it was a nice comfy helmet but compared to the remedy it just feels average,yeah i know you said drop but they are very similar so i would go for the drop no hesitation.

try one before you buy though as i had to buy a size down in the giro.

Capricious youth...
    That's odd because I measured my head, and I came up with an odd number. My Bell Bellistic (they haven't changed anything except the shell color in like 3 years) I bought in summer 2005. I thought I would be a medium, but I'm almost sure I bought a large.

Anyway, Bell's website says a Medium from 55-59cm, and a Large for 59-63, but I checked WheelWorld, and they recommend Medium for 56-58, and large for 59-61.

I measure out to be a 58cm exactly, so I'm thinking of going with the Large for comfort. I'm 99.9% sure that my old Bellistic was a Large, but the tag on the outside is long gone, and inside the helmet there is no size decal.

Humph.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    mine was a large to,but the remedy large just wobbled about on my head lots,so i got the medium.

its slightly tighter fit than the bell thats for sure but it gives confidence.

pwn3rator
    i was a bell-only guy myself, until i tried the rockgardn blacklite. it fit really well and was light weight while still being DOT approved...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by scabrider
    i was a bell-only guy myself, until i tried the rockgardn blacklite. it fit really well and was light weight while still being DOT approved...
    I like Bell helmets but I don't consider myself a bell only guy. I got my Bellistic because it was on sale for $40.
    Jump it onto something off of something or over something.

There's more to freeriding than dirt jumps.

EastBaySteez
    I just took a look at the bell helmets, I really dislike the Bellistic.
    The drop doesn't look half bad! But those enormous bell stickers..
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

Capricious youth...
    The Bellistic isn't bad at all. It's been my only full face for over two years and it's taken a beating while riding, and rolling around in the back seat or bed of my truck.

I'm just a little off on the sizes. Worse case scenario, I'll just order one up on Monday and hope that it arrives on Wednesday or Thursday. I don't suspect that I'll be needing it until Saturday anyway. Wheelworld, Pricepoint and Jensen have always shipped really fast to me. If it ends up being the wrong size, I'll send it back. I'll have to take a closer look at my helmet when I get home.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    how does the sizing compare between the drop and the bellistic?

ive had a bell bellistic for many years but just crashed hard and cracked it. i loved the helmet with the exception of not having a removable liner. I want to get the bell drop because it looks better and has a removable liner... but im wondering if the sizing is pretty consistant with the bellistic because i am right on the border between the med. and the large. i had a med. bellistic and it fit perfect.
    07 Mongoose Black Diamond Double
    custom Giant STP

moaaar shimz
    Jeez 422 grams? I think they forgot to glue the foam in there...

Edit: Only the Bell site says it's 422 grams, all others say it's 1050 grams.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The Bellistics run small, I use a medium Faction but a large Bellistic. The medium was way to tight. Not sure if the Drop is the same way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I've been looking at the same helmets. The price of the Bellistic is nice, but only the Drop has the ASTM DH certification.

The Beaver
    I think that this might be my next helmet.
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

Members who have read this thread: 0