Beginner DH/FR Bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Beginner DH/FR Bike

Hey guys,
    So i've decided to get a dh/fr bike even though i like 10 minutes outside of dc... My K2 attack is about to croak... only thing is that i really cant go over like 1800 ish... I'm really looking more towards a DH bike, because where my family has like 90 acres in southern va i could make some sick trails... I was looking and the Airborne Taka caught my eye... I understand that its pretty much a rebranded Ironhorse Yakuza Kumicho... which to my understanding was a pretty nasty bike... I'm kind of a racer at heart, and just need something that can keep up.... should go for that? or should i be looking somewhere else... btw im 15, 5'11", 195 pounds, in case you needed to know
    Thanks much!
    Last edited by iStartedTheFire; 06-06-2010 at 08:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I was actually looking at the same bike myself... until I did a search and found out some sketchy things about Iron Horse, the new Airborne, and both RS Cycles and Giant Nerd. I ended up going with a leftover '09 Marin Quake 7.8, I put $1500 down and have it on layaway until I get the rest. If you're interested in a Quake, you can check and see if Pedal Shop has any leftovers left. Other than that, maybe check out the classifieds here or over at pinkbike, I've seen lots of bikes that were only a couple years old go for around that price.

Here are a couple Big Hits that I was looking at:
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/610714/
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/606836/

Good luck!

Moose Member
    I just got a used intense m1 as my first dh bike and love it. Haven't been able to really test it though, northstar opens the 11th ANC I may go opening day . Anyway make sure your bike has 7"+ front and rear travel and see what you like. When I decided to get a dh bike I had ridden a few so I knew what I was getting into. I researched bikes for a couple weeks and then a cheap m1 popped up on craigslist. Whatever you do don't rush it. Find the right bike.

As for bike size a medium will work, but if u might grow at all go large for sure. I'm 16 and 6' tall and my m1 us a large and it's perfect.

Look into all companies bikes and then decide. After looking at all companies I wanted a specialized big hit or demo 8, or an intense m1 or m3. Just look around and see what fits you, but I recommend intense, their bikes are solid.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    yeah i definitely like intense... and as far as size my doctor says ive probably got another inch or two, but im probably gonna lose some weight for crew this summer...
    My LBS has a specialized bighit 1 for 1800... i really like that... or even i could get a scott voltage fr30, and throw a dual crown on either of those for xmas or something... would that be a good route?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I hate to double post but i need to correct myself
    First, DH is less what im thinking of, i dont know what youd call it but i like speed, flow, and air. Secondly, i shouldn't have named this "beginner" fr dh bike seeing that i am definitely not a beginner, just looking for a moderately (sub-2000$) bike. DH is simply too expensive, and not enough good trails around here to justify a full DH, so maybe a freeride bike would be better... Scott Voltage fr30/20 perhaps??

mtbr member
    there are alot of killer deals out on bikes left over from last year. I picked up a Norco Atomik(09) yesterday for 1799.00.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    look for a used Spesh SX trail ?

In general, you should be able to pick up a very very nice ride for about 1500 used.

otb member
    '08 Giant
    Glory 1 (Provo)
    Reg: $2,599.99
    Closeout: $1,599.99

http://taylorsbikeshop.com/product-l...1/downhill-64/
    The wheels on my bike go 'round and 'round

mtbr member
    I have been looking at the Taka myself, but to be honest I am too old (compared to you guys) to worry about superior quality. Not too mention I am 6'4" and 200 pounds (you guys will be there one day). Any one have any less expensive suggestions for an L to XL DH bike. I really want to try one out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sounds like you might need something like a Giant Reign X2, all-mountain made to withstand abuse and also climbable at the same time. Im 5'10" 190 lbs. and ride a medium with a 70mm stem. I have seen others that are 5'11" like you riding medium's as well. You should be able to get into one of those for around $1800.

-Mike

mtbr member
    I live in the Baltimore area, unless you plan on just riding lift accessed parks or doing shuttle runs, you want a bike you can pedal uphill. The new Santa Cruz's coming out (Butcher & Nickel), seem perfect for what you're looking at, and theyre relatively cheap.

glassphisheye
    bwhahaha people are funny... doesn't matter what you ride at start your gonna eat **** no matter what your on. just get a mongoose and go ride then when your good get an expensive bike. Why waste money when you cant even use the bike to its potential....
    web design and development in El Paso
    www.websitescenes.com | http://www.roughriderfreeride.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glassphisheye
    Why waste money when you cant even use the bike to its potential....
    That's exactly it. It's not like you are going to see my old a$$ in Follow Me II, dropping off a 20 foot cliff, or jumping across a rode. My bones aren't what the used to be. Hell, I fell yesterday and both wrists are really killing me. You young bucks wouldn't be faced by it if it was you.

Fast along a single track and flying around corners is what draws me to it, not free ridin'. For the money, it's perfect (Taka) for my intended use (although I would go for a used brand name for an equal price).

mtbr member
    uʍop ǝpısdn sı ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
    i just love this

mtbr member
    I found one, better bike I think. 2009 Cannondale Perp. Just wish it had a dual crown, but other than that I am happy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OUTsane(the original)
    found out some sketchy things about Iron Horse, the new Airborne, and both RS Cycles and Giant Nerd.
    Oh yeah. I owned an IH MKIII (great trail bike) before they officailly went under, then read all about them and RS Cycle (I will bet Giant nerd is the same, they also have ebay account dumping their stuff). Anyway, I personally would not buy new from them... happen that I jsut bought a used IH Yakusa to try DH, so this brought me back in loop... but my main ride I spend new $$ on is ab Ibis Mojo (great trail/AM bike - next step from the MKIII with great CS behing it).

Members who have read this thread: 0