Beefy rims and SS hubs- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Beefy rims and SS hubs

I'm trying to get a specialized P.1 built up, and i'm almost there. I'm looking to replace the stock rear hub with a legit ss hub. Any suggestions for hubs? i've only looked at surly disc hubs so far. This bike gets used for urban and (just started) funky singletrack. i'm working up my drop heights, so the hub has to be pretty strong for the future.

If i'm going to pull the rear hub, i figure it's a great time to rebuild the rear wheel. i have a sun mammoth on there now (it's in sad shape), but i'm interested in putting a nice fat rim on. Experience with the doublewide? surly large marge? something else?

anyone have pics of the wide rims?

i should be working
    ask for a replacement hub for an '03 P1. its a custom specialized one with 3 sealed bearings and a bolt on axle. mine's lasted 2 years under a sever beating. only had to replace a spring once.

Cheesiest
    I have a Surly (non-disc) and it works really smoothly. I haven't beat on it too much, but I just threw it on a DJ/Urban bike that I am putting together. Also, I believe the bearings are standard industrial ones, if you blow it out. Plus, it comes as a solid axle already.

As for rims, I've heard the Arrow DHX's are pretty sweet at 37 mm wide.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Grettiron
    If i'm going to pull the rear hub, i figure it's a great time to rebuild the rear wheel. i have a sun mammoth on there now (it's in sad shape), but i'm interested in putting a nice fat rim on. Experience with the doublewide? surly large marge? something else?

anyone have pics of the wide rims?
    man dont touch doublewides, ya thier wide but not very tall, they are very prone to flat spots ontop of weighing a ton which would suck on a HT that you want to be manueverable i assume.
    Strongest rim to strength combo rim i feel is the old 321, which is now the 729 * i think that's the right one?*, if yer not to upset about more weight try an Atomlab trailpimp/DHR, Mag30, if your looking at spending a little less get Doubletracks

The king is on fire
    There's nothing wrong with the specialized hub..I'm waiting for my new rim to come in ( atomlab general issue dirt) and I use my 02' P1 for light DJ and alot of street and it's held up great...the rim and spokes were another story. I know that unreal has general issue SS bolt on hubs for cheap.

Soul Cycles
    Jan 2005
    for urban, i'd recomend any Stock Trials rim at webcyclery.com, or the halo SAS, or the tioga dh factory rim...

Schmeow Productions
    why not just get any hub and get a ss converter? then get 729 rims or tioga dh factory

dirt rules
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    why not just get any hub and get a ss converter? then get 729 rims or tioga dh factory
    A cassette hub requires the spokes to be dished hard. A good single speed hub will let you build a better wheel.
    I have looked a bit, and the hub I want is the Woodman Bill Singlespeed Disc Rear Hub

Last edited by sittingduck; 06-18-2005 at 01:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingduck
    A cassette hub requires the spokes to be dished hard. A good single speed hub will let you build a better wheel.
    I have looked a bit, and the hub I want is the Woodman Bill Singlespeed Disc Rear Hub
    That's a pretty nice hub. I like how it includes a few cogs too. Man, i don't know if anyone else is riding a P.1, but that rear cog is total crap. a buddie of mine has one too, and we both get the ocassional random skip when really cranking on it.

what about getting the front cog nice and concentric so i can keep the chain consistently tighter? right now i have to tension it to the "high" spot, otherwise i get this infuriating *creak* every rotation.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

dirt rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Grettiron
    what about getting the front cog nice and concentric so i can keep the chain consistently tighter?
    That's a tough one... It's usually the holes in the crank spider that are off a little bit. So unless you are willing to replace your cranks, you pretty much have to live with it. You can try loosening the bolts that hold the chainring on, and center it up as best you can, but you generally can't get much movement out of it, and if you do, it will only go back when you land your first big jump or drop.