BB worn out. should i just replace the BB or get a new crankset?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

BB worn out. should i just replace the BB or get a new crankset?

i bought my 2003 rm7 not too long ago and i absolutley love it. its a tank but the weight doesnt bother me even with the marzocchi monsters upfront. ive been riding mainly xc with some small dh here and there. my bb started grinding yesterday pretty bad and seem to have quite a bit of play.
    The crankset(and im assuming bb) are raceface prodigy XC. ive been reading some bad reviews on race face bottom brackets. im not a crazy dh racer but i would like to hit up N* this summer. im worried about the XC cranks cause im fat(5'6 225lbs) and i tend to break things often.
    the cranks seem strong enough but all the reviews im reading say they are pretty weak. what are your suggestions?

the specs i could find on the OE cranks are:
    Bottom Bracket: Race Face Taperlock ISIS, 113mm spindle
    BB Shell Width:73mm English

Glad to Be Alive
    new bottombracket 30 to 45 bucks....buy used older Saints 100 bucks...you decide
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    ISIS BB's use small bearings self-contained within the BB shell = FAIL! RUN from anything ISIS related. If you can find older Saints for 100 bucks, buy them! They use outboard bearings - larger and of much better quality.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Professional Troll
    Like they all said. Northstar is a PUNISHING place on bikes, even the blue trails are quite rough. It's one of the most punishing resorts I've ridden (yes that includes all the BC ones). It's always better to go burlier there. Get some second gen saints. That's what I have on all my bikes. You can find them cheap on closeout all the time.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Isis was a response to shimanos a octalink v1, except that shimano used ball AND needle bearings and patented it. There wasn't enough space for bigger bearings or two sets, but the Isis makers pushed on with the inadequate design. Both the shimano and Isis were pressfit designs.

The Isis-type pressfit interface lives on, but in the form of the Gigapipe/GPX version, where the BB has external cups with bigger bearings. I do not remember if the splines are exactly the same from regular Isis to GPX.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    thanks for the info. do i have to measure the width of my bb or are they all pretty much the same?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    also, how do i get my axle out of the middle of isis sealed bearing unit? can i press it out or am i gonna have to suck it up and buy a whole crankset?

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by FASTIVAB6TG25MR View Post
    also, how do i get my axle out of the middle of isis sealed bearing unit? can i press it out or am i gonna have to suck it up and buy a whole crankset?
    you need a crank puller tool or have the bike shop do it.....give them a 6 pack...installing Saints is easy

ask around...some of your friends just might have everything...I do but I am in SoCal
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Re: BB worn out. should i just replace the BB or get a new crankset?

Quote Originally Posted by FASTIVAB6TG25MR View Post
    You don't. You replace the entire spindle/bearing unit, after using a crank puller to remove both arms.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    thanks guys i was afraid of that... i have a crank arm puller and got those off and the bb out. just couldnt figure out how to get the center part out of the isis bearings.

looks like more $$ into the bike. on the plus side its almost brand new again so i guess i have that going for me...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Remember, ISIS was truvativ-and-friends attempt at matching the Octalink V1. Octalink V1 was a traditional BB, just with the octalink interface, same for ISIS. Things only started getting more like external BBs with GXP. There was a "DH" version of the ISIS BB, you might be able to find one of those online.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    i think mine is a DH version. im picking up some shimano cranks from a friend today.

BB worn out. should i just replace the BB or get a new crankset?-bb-pic-1.jpg
    BB worn out. should i just replace the BB or get a new crankset?-bb-pic-2.jpg