BB stinger slipping- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

BB stinger slipping

i have installed a bottom bracket stinger, and after one ride it was loose.
    the frame shell is 68mm. the bb is a shimano outboard bearings. the stinger is next to the frame, then the spacer, then the bearing.
    i tightened the bearing pretty good (no torque wrench, just the specific tool), and the stinger was good in its place before the ride. in the middle of the ride i noticed it had a different angle than at home. i checked it, and is was moving freely.

after the ride i checked the bearing - is wasnt as tight as before the ride. its not exactly that the stinger is slipping, but that the bearing is loosening up.
    how can i prevent it?

also: i dont remember where or when, but i thing i once saw a stinger with a small block next to the hole with two screws in it. the screws are perpendicular to the shell, and are tightened against it. is there really such a thing? because mine is smooth.

any help would be appreciated

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    You'll need pretty good friction between the stinger, BB shell and bearings, and if you are using plastic spacers then this could be the problem. Or you might not have had it tight enough. it depends how much force is being placed on your stinger when you ride.

Crank it down...maybe put loctite on the BB threads

StraightOuttaCompton
    just take it to a shop and they will get you set up.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    also you can use a little bit of blue loctite if you have to. Dont put it in the bb threads but in between the spacers and the bb shell interface. it will act kind of like a glue

Meh.
    You can wrap the BB threads in PTFE teflon tape. Crank it down.

The one with the grub/set screws as you described sounds more like a MRP LRP.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My Stinger has grub screws. It slipped once then I tightened a bit more. Been fine since.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by WaveDude
    My Stinger has grub screws. It slipped once then I tightened a bit more. Been fine since.
    hi dave, can you post a picture of the grub screws?

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by brake jack
    hi dave, can you post a picture of the grub screws?
    Im pretty sure that the newer stingers dont have these screws anymore. I have one at the house here with the screws and the one on the bike is without. Those without have a thinner interface with the BB shell which more closely resembles the thickness of the 2.5mm spacer you use with the Shimano BB cups.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    thanks for the info, i'll try to work something out.

Members who have read this thread: 0