BB Question- Mtbr.com

Thread: BB Question

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

BB Question

I have a 07 Yeti ASX with Truvativ Holzfellers with the older GigaPipe BB and an E-13 srs. The bike has a 73mm bottom bracket shell. The owners manual says I need a 73mm bb with a 113mm spindle. The one thing I'm running into is that the bb mount chain guide which spaces the bb shell even more. Do I still need to get a 113mm spindle BB or do i get something longer to make up for the spacing the chain guide does?

mtbr member
    In my experience there's no way to tell what exactly will work in these situations without some trial and error. The problem with simply going with a longer spindle is it'll shift like $hit in the bigger cogs and might not even stay on the top 1 or 2. Hopefully someone will chime in with experience with the exact combo you're looking at.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I just took the old one out and it turns out it was a 118mm spindle. I think my biggest issue is the bb spacing. Which I think might have contributed to the demise of my non drive side bearings. I guess I might just try a 113mm spindle.

mtbr member
    If you didn't have a chain guide, you'd need a spacer on the drive side. The chain guide takes the place of the spacer, so there should be no issue. I used to have an ASX and as I recall I used the 113mm spindle when I was suing ISIS cranks and everything lined up perfectly.

Oh and the reason your bearings wore out is that ISIS BB's wear out really fast.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I don't think the 2days of sandy/rainy rides helped your bearings much either

Members who have read this thread: 0