Bar height question- Mtbr.com
    Is flexy

Bar height question

I recently upgraded from a 5" single crown for to a boxxer ride and the geometry of my bike has obviously changed but I kept my thompson stem but I am looking at direct mount stems. With the current thompson set-up my bars are higher than before and with the direct mount they will be lower...I know it is personal preference but ideally do you want the bars lower/ closer to the headtube or higher for freeride, resort riding and ocassional dhing. I'm just concerned the bars will be too low or something and wanted some input.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I believe the only thing that matters is the length of the stem and the bar height is whaetever feels comfortable. but that that just my opinion

Premium Member
    Actually a direct mount won't be much lower if at all. My Holzfeller stem was lower than my e13, but a direct mount is nice because you won't have to line up the stem. I wouldn't spend a buttload on a direct mount but if you can get one cheap why not.

Is flexy
    by all the pics it looks like the stem would lower the bar height but it is good to hear it prob won't. I can get the dangerboy at cost and its slightly heavier than the thompson but it looks so bada$$. Thanks for the info

Premium Member
    It may be a bit lower but nothing incredible.

notabouttoseeyourlight
    how high is the rise on your bars? if you're currently running something with a real high rise you could pick up a shorter bar...
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

Equal opportunity meanie
    Lower bar height corners better.

mtbr remember
    some, myself included, find that lower bars give more leverage and pop for manuals and bunnyhops since it puts you in more of an attack position, with the height difference between the bb/cranks and bars being shorter... but,if you primarily ride super steeps and drops, you might want higher bars for a more comfortable position when aiming down.
    The Dangerboy SR71 -10mm rise stem is sweet and could lower your bars if you desire, but a shorter rise bar would accomplish the exact same thing and be a little less redundant.
    Schralp it Heavy.

Is flexy
    I'm running the protaper os bars and I really like them. I have a few spacers under my stem too so with the direct mount I'm guessing I will be about a 1/2 inch lower but the more I think about it I might like the feel better. I have a problem manualing the bike and bunny hopping with out a jump or anything...I can do it just not nearly as high as my other bikes. I guess I could go with a lower bar rise but I dig the clean look of a direct mount. I'm hoping with the slightly lower bars I will be able to bunny hop a little easier and corner a little better. I guess it is trial and error so we shall see.

Members who have read this thread: 1