New question here. Banshee scream (Pic)

couple questions need ur help
    1) nice bike?
    2)What is the price?
    3)Do i have to build it up
    4) Do you think that it would be good for downhill
    https://www.bansheebikes.com/pages/s...reamPoster.jpg

The walrus and carpenter
    1. If you like overbuilt single pivots (no sarcasm intended)
    2. $google
    3. probably, unless you can find a shop that offers it built
    4. yeah, but I also think there are alot of better/cheaper bikes

BTW Banshee is a great company

run, hide, it's a bike!
    great bike
    $google
    you prob can get a full build from a shop.

it is bit heavy if you want to go up hill ever, unless you are insane, i've seen 14mile all mountain rides done on a scream.

there are probably cheaper bikes out there - but - you'll probabably also never ever ever break your banshee.
    **! I'd rather sh!t out Mark Weir than watch him pedal up a hill !**

General Rabble-Rouser
    how is a scream a single pivot?. Last time I checked it was Faux Bar, 4-bar, whatever...

Yes, inddedy the scream is overbuilt to hell and back again (see Banshee)

A scream is probably one of the best huckbikes on the market
    Maybe you should consider a Chaparral, it's never going to get hurt, and you can actually pedal it on a trail

The walrus and carpenter
    Quote Originally Posted by Karupshun
    how is a scream a single pivot?. Last time I checked it was Faux Bar, 4-bar, whatever...
    Let's not derail this thread with the same silly argument. It is indeed a four bar. I'm just programmed to say that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I heard it is like 48-50lbs or something

General Rabble-Rouser

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by DeepSouthBuilder
    Let's not derail this thread with the same silly argument. It is indeed a four bar. I'm just programmed to say that.

yaya, we'll not split hairs, BUT, you're programmed to call it a Bullit ?

The walrus and carpenter
    yaya, we'll not split hairs, BUT, you're programmed to call it a Bullit ?
    I already told you I WILL NOT derail this thread.

Old No. 7
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepSouthBuilder
    Let's not derail this thread with the same silly argument. It is indeed a bar. I'm just programmed to say that.
    Actually I think you were right the first time, single pivot, or faux bar. I think 4 bar refers to horst link bikes.
    Either way, to the OP, Screams are freeride bikes, so for pure downhill riding, there are better choices. If you plan on doing mostly freeride stuff, go for it.
    06 888 RC2X FOR SALE! PM FOR DETAILS

...the mustache has spoken

General Rabble-Rouser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover Nick

you're lucky to build them up around that.

from banshee
    A Scream can be built up from 45lb. to 60lb. 4 sizes fit riders from 54 to 610

The walrus and carpenter
    Chances are if that's the bike for you then you don't need to ask us.

Faux-bar is a new catch-word. Both qualify as 4-bars.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i like the scream,its bombproof.but something very similar,which i personally think looks nicer,would be a versus trigger...im a 1.5 whore too.exteranal grease ports.and the rockers look sexier.both cost 1600+.versus customer service has an amazing reputation.
    so this is how you add a signature!!

Hard as nails
    Seriously, the Scream is a very good bike. But it weighs a TON So, the way I see it, unless you are hucking insane sh$t and/or not very smooth - I mean the Scream is a very duty specific bike, no if and about it. So if you plan to do any trail riding?climbing< definitely look at a different frame. Maybe go with the Chappy as someone mentioned previously.

BTW, you never mentioned the type of riding you intend to do with your future bike. That will help narrow down the right bike for you.

This is my Transition Dirtbag (similar to the Banshee Scream/Chappy) it weighs in at 41lbs.. I can pedal uphill but prefer not to - that is what my other bike is for

Thank God men cannot fly, and lay waste the sky as well as the earth.
    Henry David Thoreau

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    you're lucky to build them up around that.

from banshee
    A Scream can be built up from 45lb. to 60lb. 4 sizes fit riders from 54 to 610
    Yeah, I saw that after I posted.

I would agree that there are better options. Like already stated, the Dirtbag would be a good choice as well as many others

I feel that the Scream is a very outdated style of bigger is better. I think that 50lb bikes such as this will give way to 5-7" 35-38lb freeride bikes. Same as 45lb DH bikes will give way to 38lb DH bikes. I think it will fall by the wayside with the likes of the Super Monster, 10" travel bikes, and the Armageddon's and BMW's

Glad to Be Alive

ail
    faux bar is considered a single pivot
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Brackish
    Here is my Dirtbag: 45.5 pounds and $699 for the '06 frame straight from Transition (https://www.transitionbikes.com/Stor...}-24521519&C=5:

Registered Jong
    its a 4 bar linkage but if your going to do pure downhill i would suggest getting brake thearapy for it with that 4bar linkage

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover Nick
    Mine weighs in at 49 pounds with a monster t. Pedals 10 pounds lighter then it is.

Pain is a way of life
    1) nice bike?
    Yes it is...I have the 2006 w/07 FOX40 & DHX5.0...great bike

2)What is the price?
    Depends on the spec choice, go to Banshees site and check

3)Do i have to build it up
    The choice is yours...avail complete or frame or frame & shock

4) Do you think that it would be good for downhill
    Better choices for DH but it is solid all the same

CHEERS !!!!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ChromedToast
    Pedals 10 pounds lighter then it is.
    Sure it does.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Lez go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Sure it does.
    It sure does.
    Team C2G
    Jah is my copilot.

Clever Slogan
    Jun 2004
    Having owned a Scream for three full seasons, now into its fourth; I feel adequately knowledgable when it comes to whether or not to buy one. A few points to consider:

1) Weight is up to you, I've had mine ('03 large frame) with various parts over the years...in '03 it was 41 lbs., now it's 52 lbs. This is primarily due to the fact that I insist on running 36 spoke doubletracks with Woodman hubs, DH tubes and Tomashi 2.7in. DH tires. A smart cyclist could build one under 40 lbs. with decent bits depending on their budget.

2) I weigh 270 w/ all my gear and use the Scream exclusively as my shuttle/go-big/DH bike. It's nearly indestructable and I don't like **** breaking so the weight is worth it. The weight also makes it very stable at speed IMHO...like my YZ 450f. It's very balanced f:r.

3) They can be had cheap if you find the right deal. Got mine brand new for $800 off ebay.

4) I recommend buying a frame and then building it up with the perfect spec to suit your needs...this also allows you utilize your calculator watch when figuring the final weight.

5) Problems? Short of a freak accident the damn thing won't break. Ever. Lately I've been considering a new frame but can't seem to let go of the reliability of the Scream. There are plenty of alternatives out there, but none that blow my kilt up.

6) Also, the frame works very well with many setup options. The older version has three travel options (6,7,8). I use them all depending on terrain. Mostly I'm in the 7in. setting. Geometry is spot on with my '05 66rc.

7) If your DH plans include racing and this will be the primary use, the Scream will suffice, but you may want to consider something else. If however you are going to be mostly riding FR w/ the occasional race then you can certainly manage if you've got heart.

8) It is a faux bar...aka single pivot. Does this matter? No. Anyone who says differently is just another epro puking up the filth they learned from mtn. bike action mag. Would the bike benefit from a floating brake system? Likely it would. My Bullit probably would too, but honestly, after countless descents and drops and jumps the nano-second to be gained isn't worth the extra cost, weight and complexity IMO.

9) Other frames will come and go but the Scream will always be a Scream. It's overbuilt only if you refrain from drops over 15ft. or gaps under 25 ft., otherwise you'll be glad you have the extra metal underneath you. I am at least.

10) Every person I've ever known lamenting the possible purchase of a Scream, then bought a Scream is absolutely satisfied regardless of weight.
    Last edited by skinnyhippy; 02-13-2007 at 12:20 PM.
    "...his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Lez go.
    Wow, skinnyhippy sums it up right there. I got my '05 Scream frame w/5th Element for $700 off eBay a year ago. With gear, I ride at about 215lbs., and I agree that it's the perfect shuttle/go-big/DH bike. I don't race, but I don't usually have a problem keeping up with whoever I'm riding with, and with the extra bit of confidence the Scream provides, taking the front in unknown territory isn't a problem -- just point it down the mountain and ride. Being that there are only two shuttle parks within 5 hours of me, I know the trails pretty good, but the durability came in handly last year when we went on a BC tour - like at Panorama when I hit a ladder blind that was supposed to be a roll and wound up airing it out over the tranny about 10' to flat. Also on the tour, I took part in a twonie race (more all-mountain) and I did pretty well on the tank (thanks to the 5th) considering about 30% of it was uphill. Build it up with a good wheelset and the only thing you'll be breaking on this are derailleur hangers.
    Team C2G
    Jah is my copilot.

GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP
    Awesome bike......... I have mine for about 2 1/2 years and i really like it my weight under 45lbs and it does almost everything you want, BTW it climbs technical trails better than my 35lbs Duncon Tosa.

Regards
    Attached Images Attached Images

General Rabble-Rouser
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Sure it does.

You'd be suprised, with a good pedal platform both the scream and chappy pedal quite well.

It's when they're airborne you can really feel the weight as it steers you through the air

General Rabble-Rouser
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    faux bar is considered a single pivot
    I've been confused about this for a while, this is my understanding I am working on from Banshee

Quote Originally Posted by Banshee bikes homepage
    I feel I should digress, to explain my synonomous use of "4-bar" and "virtual pivot". Technically they are the exact same thing, with the difference being the length of the "bars" and the location of their respective pivots.

I feel I should digress, to explain my synonomous use of "4-bar" and "virtual pivot". Technically they are the exact same thing, with the difference being the length of the "bars" and the location of their respective pivots.

To illustrate this lets take for example a single pivot vs. a faux-bar. Some would say they are the same thing, but the faux-bar has another degree of flexibility over the single pivot because you can adjust the leverage ratio over the shock. The Scream actually has a decreasing leverage ratio over the length of the travel, thus reducing the chances of blowing up a shock.
    Whole article
    http://www.bansheebikes.com/news/details.php?recordID=2

Not wishing to argue overal of this *again*, only wanting to understand, and clear this up for a few of us out there

Members who have read this thread: 0