bad luck or bad technique?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

bad luck or bad technique?

Todays ride went alright despite the fact that I had a rear tire blowout on a drop of moderate size, about 4-5 feet. The kicker is that I blew the rear tube the day before doing something similar...now after todays ride, the rear tube seems to be holding up after I replaced it, but now the front tire is gradually loosing air...I'm (was) running a hair over 32ish psi in both tires... Should I increase psi, or should I invest in some heavy duty tubes? Or am I just having really bad luck with my tires? 210 /w gear.
    2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Southern Maine

Glad to Be Alive
    for a big guy....definately get bigger, thicker tubes and run about 35 to 40 psi
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Seems like a tire problem rather than tube. I'm 235lbs and run XC tubes now with no problems so far. And generally I run around 30-35psi. I used to run lower psi w/ DH tubes and never flatted really, but dented my new wheels so F-it, going w/ more pressure from now on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    any recommendations for tubes? I was using some cheesy bontrager standard presta. I was taking a look at the maxxis downhill tubes http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...a+Dh+Tube.aspx . They seem nice and overbuilt for the purpose.
    2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Southern Maine

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    tires are maxxix minnions 2.35s. They are brand new, I don't see how they could be a problem?
    2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Southern Maine

run, hide, it's a bike!
    i'm 240ish -

i run kenda 2.3-2.4 XC style tubes in 2.5(folding beed kenda blue groove) and 2.35(folding beed kenda nevegal) and pump up to 45-50psi. which is really high and most people hate it - but i've gotten used to it and it works out pretty well - most of the time - still blow tires every now and again. and i don't have to ride wet roots.
    **! I'd rather sh!t out Mark Weir than watch him pedal up a hill !**

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironchefjon
    tires are maxxix minnions 2.35s. They are brand new, I don't see how they could be a problem?
    If you're hitting drops and riding downhill at your weight I'd say at least a 2.5.
    But I really have no idea man, 2.35's seem like they'd be okay. Maybe it is a tube deal, but I wouldn't see why. Try a DH tube and see if you're problem is fixed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Maxxis 2.35 are single-ply's, that could be the problem

ride hard take risks
    The IRC DH tubes are possibly the thickest you can get, kinda like a moto tube in thickness. Panaracer DH tubes are a happy medium on weight & thickness. I have flatted both using Maxxis folding bead tires, but it was from hitting something wrong, getting off line. Adjust tire pressure for different conditions. Local trails i can get away with 24 front & 25-26 rear, places like Dville pump them up to 32 front 34-36 rear.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Members who have read this thread: 0