Back to the roots: Goin rigid!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Back to the roots: Goin rigid!

After riding a 7x7 FS bike for years, I've become VERY bored with riding most trails. Unless I'm hucking or bombing through boulders, it just isn't fun anymore.

SO!

I just built up a full rigid bike using an AM frame I had laying around and slapped a brand new Surly Instigator fork on there. The fork is surprisingly stiff! Coming from a long line of 20mm TA forks, I wasn't expecting the rigid fork to be SO damn STIFF when turning. I guess even with DC forks, the bushings still flex a little, because the Surly fork feels stiffer and only has a QR hub in there.

After a few rides, I LOVE IT! I can feel my riding skills improving drasticly and I'm also having a great time on trails that were previously boring as hell on a 7x7 FS. This sucker is fast in the smooth and tight sections too. Lighter and steeper geo, lets me drop my riding buddies in no time flat, except when things get rough again.

If you're like me and find yourself not having the same smile factor after a ride, try going to a full rigid bike built for abuse. Surly Instigator fork is pure beefcake and a good/cheap choice for a budget build. I spent $180 to build mine up from new and used parts.

Pics? None yet. Even though it rides great, it's ugly as a dog's nut. If I really keep diggin the rigid, I might consider a nicer one.

General Rabble-Rouser
    My hands and wrists couldn't deal with a rigid anymore. I pumped my DJIII up rock hard and it was a miserable experience. Hardtail is enough for me

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Karupshun
    My hands and wrists couldn't deal with a rigid anymore. I pumped my DJIII up rock hard and it was a miserable experience. Hardtail is enough for me
    I work my hands and wrists every night. Strong as an Ox!

I noticed that I didn't use my arms enough when riding DS. I now can use my bent arms as a form of suspension. It's actually pretty effective when you can loosen up you grip and let the front end float instead of sending impacts.

This is one bad trait I think too many people having riding FS. They ride with their legs, arms, and wrists too stiff.

Even going back to the FS, I can notice I'm riding WAY better when I ride it like a rigid. A good racer once told me to ride a FS like it has no travel and you'll be faster. I now see what he was talking aboooot (he's Canadian, eh ).

General Rabble-Rouser
    Quote Originally Posted by Monohan
    I work my hands and wrists every night. Strong as an Ox!

moaaar shimz
    The first bike I rode for a while was a GT Timberline rigid and I would like to ride rigid again but I cant find a local rigid bike that will hold the abuse... maybe just closing all compression the fork will work as well

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Karupshun
    How dare you imply that I masterbate!

My girlfriend has a really big ass that I slap around a lot.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    The first bike I rode for a while was a GT Timberline rigid and I would like to ride rigid again but I cant find a local rigid bike that will hold the abuse... maybe just closing all compression the fork will work as well
    The Surly fork is a good start for strength. It can take more abouse than I can. It's also the same A to C of a 100mm fork, so it doesn't feel too steep.

Next time I drive up to Whistler, I'm gonna take it on a run or two. I imagine I'll get some strange looks from people as I fly past them down the slope, while also losing teeth and fillings.

Card Carrying Member
    Rigid can make you faster for sure. I'm running a dimension disc fork on a SSed chameleon. It beats the crap out of you, but it sure is fun

Glad to Be Alive
    very cool......might need to find some harder trails for the 7 and 7
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

surf-ride-repeat
    Too true... I rode my brothers 29'er, fully rigid single speed the other day.. did a 12 mile out and back... it was totally fun... I totally relate to what you're talking about, it did expose some bad 'suspension' habits I had formed. The coolest thing though was how it feels so much a part of the trail, especially at speed, over rocks... you'd think it would beat the hell out of ya, but it really is rather smooth and fun. A different mind set that left me grinning for sure.

Members who have read this thread: 0