azonic steelhead- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

azonic steelhead

would an azonic steelhead be a good hardtail for fr, moderate downhill, and xc? i need an all around hardtail, and this is a good priced frame that a lot of people seem to have.

thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2004
    well how tall are you? they are about 15" frames with a 21" top tube. the steelheads are mainly made for urban/dirt jumping, and i guees some free riding...but if i were you id look into getting somehting else, unless you plan on taking up djing because at about $150, you cant beat it.
    !

Can't get right...
    Do a search. Its at the top of the page. This topic is killed at least once a week. Get lots of good info that way...
    I watch the O.C. cause it makes me happy...

If misery was money i'd be the richest man on the planet.

mtbr member
    on regards to the first reply, i am 6'4" 148lbs, i didnt know that their frames were that small. thanks

and for the second reply, i am sorry, i didnt know that you could search like that, i am still kind of new to the site and the whole posting thing, thanks.
    -sorry for the ignorance.

Can't get right...
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinarider
    on regards to the first reply, i am 6'4" 148lbs, i didnt know that their frames were that small. thanks

and for the second reply, i am sorry, i didnt know that you could search like that, i am still kind of new to the site and the whole posting thing, thanks.

No need to apologize. Everybody does it til they find the search feature. Now i ride an Azonic Steelhead XL which has a longer top tube. I'm 6 ft and ride it w/ a Dh(50mm) stem. Plenty of room for me and i got crazy long arms(see member name & click on image to see my bike). If u run a longer stem u should be fine.

ridin' is my escape
    hey, i do all around riding on my steelhead , great frame, im 6'4 150 if u do get it get an xl, its perfect size, thats my input.
    _SouthBaySoldiers_

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by dannymonky
    Do a search. Its at the top of the page. This topic is killed at least once a week. Get lots of good info that way...
    Sleek Firefox theme. Mine is Pimpzilla.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12

what are you talking about???

Soul Cycles
    Jan 2005
    steel heads are cool, but heavy especially for xc. i would recomend somthin alluminum. the santa cruz Chameleon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If you are looking for a good hardtail to do a little bit of verything on check out the mountain cycle rumble. It comes in a size big enough for trail riding and is still strong enough for FR.
    You can get an '03 for 220.00 or an '04 for 250.00.

http://www.greenfishsports.com/index...ROD&ProdID=586

http://www.greenfishsports.com/index...ROD&ProdID=848

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti342
    If you are looking for a good hardtail to do a little bit of verything on check out the mountain cycle rumble. It comes in a size big enough for trail riding and is still strong enough for FR.
    You can get an '03 for 220.00 or an '04 for 250.00.

http://www.greenfishsports.com/index...ROD&ProdID=586

http://www.greenfishsports.com/index...ROD&ProdID=848

are mountain cycles good though?

Can't get right...

Sorry its Apple Safari browser. Looks great and works amazing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dannymonky
    Sorry its Apple Safari browser. Looks great and works amazing

oh you were talking about his print screen.... i get it now. i thought that you were talking about a bike. mozzila firefox is the best.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    are mountain cycles good though?
    Check the reviews...

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Freeride...t_124216.shtml

Xtremely Moderate
    That's Safari on the Mac Jr. ............this is Firefox on the Mac:
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

Chinky on a Stinky
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by e<i>o
    That's Safari on the Mac Jr. ............this is Firefox on the Mac:
    i hate macs
    Straight outta Compton..............

Team Tony Train - FR/DH Forever!!!!
    Sponsors: White Devil Syndicate (we're workin on it 'aight?)

DREAM THEATER

Xtremely Moderate
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikity China
    i hate macs
    Yeah I hate stuff that works and doesn't hassle me too.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

Stand back

looong seatpost

I'm 6'2" and need to just a bit past max extension w/ a 400mm seatpost to get enough leg extension for xc on my xl. I think my inseam is 35"...
    But it's a great frame for do-it-all riding. I love hittin the bmx track on the way to the trails and only bringin one bike.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Youngbuck
    your 6'4 and 148 pounds? dont buy a bike buy a gym membership
    Honorary Member of the: 500 club

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianHooligan
    your 6'4 and 148 pounds? dont buy a bike buy a gym membership
    must be 184. No way a person could be that tall AND that skinny!!!

mtbr member
    Anyone know how large of a rotor the Azonic Steelhead can take?

aka Jesse Palmer
    better not upgrade to tiger then

ridin' is my escape
    8inch
    _SouthBaySoldiers_

dirt rules
    Firefox is awesome. Some of the plugins you can get really make a difference. Check out adblock, bugmenot, flashgot, fireftp, and more.

mtbr member
    I agree!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

[email protected] NYC Freerider
    werd....I get bored on macs cause there is nothing to troubleshoot...PC keeps me busy!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Something interesting I learned not too long ago. If you build a bike that is designed to do everything, it will suck for everything. For instance, you want a shorter stem, wide bars and thick tires for DH. For DJing, you want narrow bars and short stem. Then, for XC, you want the narrow bars, long stem, and light tires.

My point: it can be done, but the set up will not be good for all 3 types of riding you are doing. Sorry to the HT dhers out there, but a hardtail can't touch a good DH bike and the geometry on the steelhead will leave you hurting after XC. The only type of riding the bike excels at is urban and dirt jumping. Lots of people around here love their steelheads for urban and dirt jumping.

Just build a bike up for one purpose rather than compromising the parts spec to "work" for everything.
    pay me

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by MicroHuck
    Anyone know how large of a rotor the Azonic Steelhead can take?

pretty sure 8 inch...great "no questions asked" warranty
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    pretty sure 8 inch...great "no questions asked" warranty
    Cool!

Another question:

How does having a horizontal ddropout effect the disc allignment? Where is the center for the disc?

What I have is a 185mm rotor and a 2.5 minion rear tire. I would like to run the wheel in the shortest chain stay length possible (feels best for hucking on a hard tail), but would this cause the rotor to be off-set and would the tire have clearance? Does this frame require you to back the axle away to get a 2.5 tire in there and for the rotor to fit centered?

Is there a way to move the caliper?

The steelhead has a stupid short chain stay, I would like to take full advantage of that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually having one bike that does it all comes in handy for most of us extreme hardtail riders. Obviously you can't make a hardtail that can take 15 ft drops while still being able to pedal it around, that's not the point.

I like doing rides where I ride on flat ground TO the mountain, than ride UP the mountain (usually over 3,000ft), and then DOWN the mountain. When I ride DOWN, I like to hit every natural jump in sight (usually not over 5 ft) like rock and root drops. You can't do that type of crap on a XC bike, so I need an agressive hardtail that can take the heat.

IMO, only a hardtail can be built up strong enough to take drops, while at the same time being an excellent climber. You would have to pay BIG money to get a dual suspension that is as good at climbing and descending.

For those of us who bike uphill for our vertical (no shuttling) there's really no alternative to an agressive hardtail.

Here's my rig (older photo, many things upgraded since, but still the same bike). It is about as perfect as you can get for having a bike that rides XC, DJ, Urban, DH, and Freeride in the same day. Obviously I can't go too huge with it, but on the other hand it's just about the most versatile bike you can ever find. It rips up twisty DH single track faster than ANY DH/FR dedicated rig, no doubt.

All a "do it all" hardtail needs is a short frame, long seat post and adjustable travel fork. I put my fork down and seat up for uphill+XC. I put the fork and seat down for DJing. I put the seat down and fork up for hucking+DH single track.

Last edited by MicroHuck; 05-07-2005 at 09:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MD Bullit
    Something interesting I learned not too long ago. If you build a bike that is designed to do everything, it will suck for everything. For instance, you want a shorter stem, wide bars and thick tires for DH. For DJing, you want narrow bars and short stem. Then, for XC, you want the narrow bars, long stem, and light tires.

My point: it can be done, but the set up will not be good for all 3 types of riding you are doing. Sorry to the HT dhers out there, but a hardtail can't touch a good DH bike and the geometry on the steelhead will leave you hurting after XC. The only type of riding the bike excels at is urban and dirt jumping. Lots of people around here love their steelheads for urban and dirt jumping.

Just build a bike up for one purpose rather than compromising the parts spec to "work" for everything.

thanks, i am not going to get a steelhead anymore. i just want to build a bike that works. where i live there arent really any one specific types of trails to ride, they are all kind of mixed in with each other. the xc trails arent that long, the 'dh' isnt really downhill (they are just hills that you ride down throughout the xc course), the freeride is pretty good, and there are some dirt jumps here and there, so i really DO have to build a bike that i can ride on all of those diff. kinds of trails and such. unless i want to just build a bike for every kind of riding. and then when i go to the local trail i can take 4 diff. bikes and rotate them out... not very practical.

thanks anyway though, and thanks for the input on the steelhead.

Renegade of Krunk
    You may want to look into the Soul Cycles hardtails ( www.ridesoul.com ) and if you get in the scud "sponsorship"; all you do is enter a form and they almost always let you on, then you get discounts on all kinds of components, their frames, etc. The Loki may be a good all around bike and the Titan would be good for anything but XC/uphill (it could do it but wouldnt want to do it too much) and either one costs around $160 if you are "sponsored" ($265 if you arent). The Titans biggest size is 18" and the Loki's is 17.5". Only thing is that the loki is designed around a 100mm fork so you wouldn't want to run anything over 130 w/o funking up the geometry. The Titan is built around 130-150mm fork and looks beefy as hell..

Just popping in some ideas for frames in the sub $300 range.
    I'm not new to this, I'm true to this

ridin' is my escape
    thats the one thing i hate about my bike, horizontal drop outs, but thats only beacue, i go riding at night and we use cars, with no bike racks so we have to dissassemble, so ive learned that when you have to take your rear wheel off, you have to take out the first bolt of the disc caliper, and than lossen the second one so it swivels up and over the disc, allowing the wheel to slide directly . its kinda sucks, just carry an alen wrench with you. im not sure if you would have to do this with an 8 inch rotor though, because of the mount so ill do some research
    _SouthBaySoldiers_

sizing?

I am also thinking about picking up a cheap Steelhead frame. I'll probably set it up with whatever semi-functional partsI have lying around and slowly upgrade when I can. That means it will be used for getting to class (and light urban on the way) until I upgrade enough to make it trail and DJ worthy. However, I don't know what size to get. I'm 5'10" Any thougths on the sizing?

ridin' is my escape
    jus get the normal size one, they make 2 sizes, normal ( pro i think) and XL, xl is one inch longer on the toptube.
    _SouthBaySoldiers_

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MicroHuck
    Cool!

Another question:

How does having a horizontal ddropout effect the disc allignment? Where is the center for the disc?

What I have is a 185mm rotor and a 2.5 minion rear tire. I would like to run the wheel in the shortest chain stay length possible (feels best for hucking on a hard tail), but would this cause the rotor to be off-set and would the tire have clearance? Does this frame require you to back the axle away to get a 2.5 tire in there and for the rotor to fit centered?

Is there a way to move the caliper?

The steelhead has a stupid short chain stay, I would like to take full advantage of that.

Anyone know the answer to this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by E30Evolution
    You may want to look into the Soul Cycles hardtails ( www.ridesoul.com ) and if you get in the scud "sponsorship"; all you do is enter a form and they almost always let you on, then you get discounts on all kinds of components, their frames, etc. The Loki may be a good all around bike and the Titan would be good for anything but XC/uphill (it could do it but wouldnt want to do it too much) and either one costs around $160 if you are "sponsored" ($265 if you arent). The Titans biggest size is 18" and the Loki's is 17.5". Only thing is that the loki is designed around a 100mm fork so you wouldn't want to run anything over 130 w/o funking up the geometry. The Titan is built around 130-150mm fork and looks beefy as hell..

Just popping in some ideas for frames in the sub $300 range.
    thanks a lot man.

Stand back

speak for yourself

Quote Originally Posted by MD Bullit
    Something interesting I learned not too long ago. If you build a bike that is designed to do everything, it will suck for everything. the geometry on the steelhead will leave you hurting after XC. The only type of riding the bike excels at is urban and dirt jumping.
    Mine rocks on trails too. Are you sure you/ or your friends are riding them properly?
    Last edited by dbabuser; 05-07-2005 at 06:26 PM.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Cheesiest
    What about the instigator?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    can the steelhead be used for dh type riding? If I got one, I'd like to use it for urban/dj of course, but then say I want to stick a 6" fork on it and do some drops, will that fly?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Disc alignment will not be affected. Ideally the wheel is straight in the dropouts, which is why a set of chaintugs are very good to use. After that, providing you are using post mount calipers, you can adjust the caliper to exactly fit the disc. The steelhead can be ridden on DH, but it will not be fun on rocky trails. You will get bounced about etc. Of course I expect plenty of responses saying "what? you can dh on a hardtail, I dh on my DJ bike". Sure, you can, but real downhilling is much easier on your body when you are riding a fully dh sled.
    pay me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twouareks
    can the steelhead be used for dh type riding? If I got one, I'd like to use it for urban/dj of course, but then say I want to stick a 6" fork on it and do some drops, will that fly?
    I've seen guys running super Ts on them and love it.