Azonic Outlaw's offset strong enough?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Azonic Outlaw's offset strong enough?

I just got my Azonic outlaw wheels to replace a catastrophic failure on my last set of rims (not the rims fault, stuff went into spokes):

The Azonic's factory are currently centered over the entire axle/biased toward the cassette. I want to know wouldn't it be MUCH stronger to have them rebuilt or trued to center of flange mounts (the way the frame and original rims were). Currently the tire instead of being centered is almost rubbing on the side of the frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Azonic Outlaw's offset strong enough?-img_0666.jpg  

Azonic Outlaw's offset strong enough?-img_0888.jpg  

Azonic Outlaw's offset strong enough?-img_0890.jpg  

Last edited by magudaman; 04-09-2010 at 02:25 PM.

mtbr member
    one question whats that where the rear brake would be?
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Figured that would be asked when I realized that was shown in the photo, that would be a sprocket, for an extra chain line that goes to the rear. This is put on to a electric I created from DH bike. I also don't weigh 250 lbs but that is equivalent to my weight plus electrical components. I was trying to KISS the situation.

mtbr member
    oh so hes not running a back brake???
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Nope not at the moment, 8in in front currently, got the 9in on order. This bike is still being created so, I'm hoping soon I can still add a rear brake.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    AH HA, so this wheel is not dished properly basically is what I'm reading, so I guess I just get it dished up and be done with it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I would get it centered in the frame and not worry about it too much, from what I have heard outlaws seem to be pretty strong. just make sure the wheel keeps its tension after the first ride and so on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Do those broken spokes have anything to do with the motorised drivetrain?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I've got Outlaws on 4 of my bikes. Not one has any alignment problem, nor have I ever heard of any problems.
    What aren't you telling us?? It's very hard to answer a Q with out all the details.
    Bike - model? Looks like an old Giant DHComp..... which Outlaw bolt right onto!

Not sure why anyone wants an elect. motor on their DH Bike, a used moto bike cost the same or even cheaper than maintaning a dh bike that gets well used!
    Different stokes I guess!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    135mm wheelsets are all offset over the hub, not the flange. the only time there is 0 offset, or centered on the flange, is if the frame is spec'd that way(ie Specialized Demo).

and wheels are plenty strong with this offest. built by a good wheel builder, they will be fine. Outlaws are built tough right out of the box.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by magudaman
    AH HA, so this wheel is not dished properly basically is what I'm reading, so I guess I just get it dished up and be done with it?
    nope

Now with More Wood
    Is there not a slight air of surrealism to this thread? Like, the truth is out there...<insert theme song here>...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Were those old giant DH comps intended to run a wheel that was centered on the hub flanges rather than hub cones (like specialized demo)?

Looking at one of the pictures, it looks like the wheel it rubbing the drive side chain stay, at least 5-10mm out of dish... leading me to believe it's not a dish issue, but a design issues with that rear end.

mtbr member
    You will be fine adjusting the wheel to zero dish. I have one zero dished on my dh bike, raced on it all last season and still goin strong
    Team _________

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Well it turns out that the rear swing arm is bent. I didn't see it before but the wheel is basically turning about 2 degrees to the right. Bummer :-(

Members who have read this thread: 0