Azonic B52 Such a good deal, but is it really a downhill bike?- Mtbr.com
    Leave it all on the trail

Azonic B52 Such a good deal, but is it really a downhill bike?

Hey all, was looking for a bit of feedback regarding the B52 frameset. First of all mountain bike action listed in the downhill buyers guide as "priced to win" next to the Canfield Formula 1. Its listed as a FR/DH bike which is awesome, but I am wondering how it really fares as a downhill duty bike with a dual crown. Lots of builds I have seen on the net include 6" single crown forks and that conerns me. I have little knowledge of downhilling, but it seems like 8-9" is the norm for a downhill bike and not 7.5" Can it really be setup as a downhill bike? What is the most common fork on the front-Boxxer?

Bottom line is I am looking for a frameset to build over winter and those are so darn cheap its really hard to overlook it.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks folks!

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchback78
    Hey all, was looking for a bit of feedback regarding the B52 frameset. First of all mountain bike action listed in the downhill buyers guide as "priced to win" next to the Canfield Formula 1. Its listed as a FR/DH bike which is awesome, but I am wondering how it really fares as a downhill duty bike with a dual crown. Lots of builds I have seen on the net include 6" single crown forks and that conerns me. I have little knowledge of downhilling, but it seems like 8-9" is the norm for a downhill bike and not 7.5" Can it really be setup as a downhill bike? What is the most common fork on the front-Boxxer?

Bottom line is I am looking for a frameset to build over winter and those are so darn cheap its really hard to overlook it.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks folks!

I ride with a guy who rides one. He has a 888 on it and yes it is a Dh bike. Its also sold by probably 4 or 5 other companies like KHS, so it is definitely a catalog taiwan frame, but it is a horst link and seems to perform pretty well.

There was an issue with some frame/shock combinations resulting in severe tire rubbage on the back of the seat tube, and it is Azonic, so warranties a generally slower than a lot of other companies.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I was shocked to see one actually being raced at the Bromont World Cup last weekend, so I guess it is a race bike.

That said, Azonic is THE worst bike company I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

Gangbusters
    Jun 2007
    If a bike is used at a world cup...does that make it a race bike, What if I used my roadmaster , does that count?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If you qualify for a second run then yes.

mtbr member
    they changed the seat tube so that the tire wont hit the frame.....the frame is very solid....i own the khs lucky 7.....basicly the same frame and im very happy with mine....ive droped 10 feet to flat and the bike held up fine.....just bc its made in taiwan dosent mean its a bad product...give it a try....the b-52 is a bad ass frame
    Gas Sucks Ride A Bike

N* Bomber Crew
    The head angle is a little steep for my tastes, I think its about 67 Degrees. Other then that the geometry is well suited for a lot of gravity principles. I would run a B-52 for FR/DH for sure. You could possibly try running a lot of sag and the crowns high on the fork to achieve a slacker HA.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    The head angle is a little steep for my tastes, I think its about 67 Degrees. Other then that the geometry is well suited for a lot of gravity principles. I would run a B-52 for FR/DH for sure. You could possibly try running a lot of sag and the crowns high on the fork to achieve a slacker HA.
    In the last issue of Decline they stated that it has a 65 degree HT angle. So who knows.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

Glad to Be Alive
    local guy been riding his for over 2 years now.....he puts out more punishment then most riders will ever do
    Attached Images Attached Images
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

StraightOuttaCompton
    Im looking into one. the CS on Azonic for me has been great. some stuff was backordered and they couldnt get in the stuff i wanted, so they credited me what it cost for the parts i paid for and didnt get, even though i got replacements.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

Card-carrying wotmeister
    Gushing about Azonic doesn't mean much when you're sponsored by them, does it?

I had to call them with a few questions and they were nice and patient though.

Members who have read this thread: 0