Avy Dhf 8.0- Mtbr.com

Thread: Avy Dhf 8.0

mtbr member

Avy Dhf 8.0

Just wondering how many of you guys run a AVY fork? I did a search but was just wondering what your thoughts are on this fork for my race rig. I have been building my Blindside for next year its gonna be my resort and race rig. I was thinking of going with a AVY DHF 8.0, I havent seen any bikes with them I know there is a thing called the AVY cult.. But barring I dont really care about the weight of the fork I mean I am 240lb so whatever, but I was looking for a fork that I can just barrel thru Sh*t since I am not smooth at all.. Just wanted to see if anybody was running just want to make sure its worth it to spend that kind of money. I know AVY makes top notch stuff but how does it compare to a 888 or a Fox 40.. I was thinking the blindside with a AVY woodie or DHS in the rear and a DHF 7.0 or 8.0 would be a great race rig setup..

StraightOuttaCompton
    i would say so, from what i have heard about those forks, nice, progressive and buttery smooth. I havent ridden one though so talk to someone who before going and getting it.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

Thunder Chunky
    Im thinking about getting the dhf 7.0 and Im having the same problem as you...cant decide between the avy or an 888. There was a review on another site that i saw that had nothing but good things to say about it other than it was heavey(weight doesnt matter to me either)

Here the article is(its the only one I can find about the dhf series for some reason):
    http://www.dh-zone.com/en/Articles/48.html

mtbr member
    Yeah thanks I have seen that review.. Yeah thats why I am wondering if anybody here has any real time on the AVY. I have never ridden one either, I know a buddy who knows a buddy kind of thing that has one on there rig and the guys loves it but he is also sponsored not by AVY since I dont think they sponsor people maybe they do not sure.. But since I want a fork that i can just barrel thru the rock gardens just wondering if the DHF is the fork for it.

Thunder Chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo
    Yeah thanks I have seen that review.. Yeah thats why I am wondering if anybody here has any real time on the AVY. I have never ridden one either, I know a buddy who knows a buddy kind of thing that has one on there rig and the guys loves it but he is also sponsored not by AVY since I dont think they sponsor people maybe they do not sure.. But since I want a fork that i can just barrel thru the rock gardens just wondering if the DHF is the fork for it.
    Also accouple old thread on ridemonkey...not sure if you have seen those or not.

Bike Ninja |||
    owned a DHF-8 dual dampener Ti setup.

Sweet fork. Did it's job... very well. Would take massive jumps and it would bottom... but I didn't feel it at all. Would hit small stuff and it'd beg for more.

Couldn't get mine set up for small bump sensitivity though. fairly harsh ride compared to a 888 or more 'mainstream' forks.

Would not recommend for racing, however, as even with my Ti setup it weighed in at 9+ lbs. felt like a dead weight.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

keystone addict
    ^^^^^^ yeah, that thing was fun. rediculously heavy though. felt really smooth nonetheless. it really wasn't that 'plush' or sensitive at all though. for the little stuff it positively sucked, but for big hits it really sucked 'em up. Basically, if you want a fork that you can run into brick walls with and not even have it flex the tiniest bit, that would be the one. I wouldn't recomend it it you want something plush that will just turn the trail into pavement though. get a 888 for that.
    I kinda wish my brakes actually worked, but I guess that just makes me faster, right?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. So here is what I am looking for the Blindside is gonna be my full out DH and race rig, I am 240lb so the weight of the AVY is not gonna bother me. I want a fork that I know I can just barrel thru big rock gardens and it make it feel like I am floating over them. I really dont do huge drops 5-8ft max, like I said I am not smooth so I am thinking the AVY would be good it seems like it is bulletproof and could just barrel threw suff .. So here is my debate should i go for the AVY or go for a 888 WC I love Zokes I have a 66 right now and its a great fork for the small stuff.. But since I am new to DH and racing i want something that is very forgiving not sure if the 888 would do the same job for me? Also if I went AVY should I get the 7.0 or 8.0? Thanks

moaaar shimz
    ocho ocho ocho

mtbr member
    I feel ya Tacubaya.. Just making sure before I drop the coin on these forks..

all end up here someday
    The DHF 8.0 will hold up for you.

I had the same questions you have when looking at getting the DHF 8.0. Looking at mtbr, I couldn't find much info about the fork. Luckily enough, one of the Avalanche sponsored racers responded to my post and answered my questions. Then I bought one.

I don't understand why some people say the 8.0 doesn't absorb the small bumps. My fork has so many "clicks" of adjustability that it gives a person much more fine tuning ability than what the zokes offers. Also - on my freeride and cross-country bikes, I run zokes. I love zokes, but on by DH bike zokes can't compare to Avalanche, IMO.

I'm also one of the few that have demolished an 8.0, almost $800 worth. To jack that fork up I broke a wrist in two places, had bruised ribs, and completely wasted a finger to the point where I only have about 40% use of it. That wreck only bent one stanchion of the Avalanche fork.

Body style - 6'4 and 220lbs. Riding style - I'm a hack - not smooth whatsoever. In the picture attached, this was the first V10 to really run the Avalanche rear shock ( I ran it through the ropes for Craig Seekins at Avalanche..). For my first DH race in Moab, UT, I took 3rd in sport class with this setup...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If I get lost, don't go too fast!

≈ > ♥
    You will pry my DHF8 from my cold dead hands. I love it on the bigbike.
    The rear shocks rock, too. Be sure to get the newer hi/low speed comp adjust, it makes a nice difference.

Whoever is complaining about small bump sensitivity prolly had the compression turned all the way in, or was riding gear set up for someone else.

They come set up for you. Be very honest about your weight, riding style, and what you will be doing with it, and Craig will set you up good.

all end up here someday
    [QUOTE=zahgurim]Be sure to get the newer hi/low speed comp adjust, it makes a nice difference.

Whoever is complaining about small bump sensitivity prolly had the compression turned all the way in, or was riding gear set up for someone else.QUOTE]

I have the same "upgrade" on mine, very nice. I agree, it sounds like some suspension adjustment is needed if you are on avy suspension and don't like the small bump sensitivity.
    If I get lost, don't go too fast!

mtbr member
    Ive seen 4 or 5 of them at my local mountain, and all of the guys riding them rip.

mtbr member
    Yeah I talked to Craig today super cool guy very informative.. We decided on the DHF 7.0 Dual for the Blindside, Trans recommends 578mm axle to crown for the BS which is 22 3/4 going with the 8.0 as Craig said its actually close to a 9 inch fork will be a over 23 inches axle to crown with the 7.0 and the opt 1/2 fork caps I would be at 22 inch axle to crown which would be perfect.If I went with a 888 wc it would be $1500 the DHF 7.0 setup the way I want it would be the same.. I rather go with the AVY I know I ould just barrel threw stuff with it. So the new setup for the BS is gonna be a DHF 7.0 Dual up front and a Woodie in the rear with the High/Low, all for next year of course cause I am still finishing up this damn BS build I finally got the damn Hope rear hub that took a month to come in so I should be done with the BS Tomorrow I will post some pics for sure... So I will be joining the AVY cult soon cnat wait...

Bike Ninja |||
    Quote Originally Posted by ladge
    The DHF 8.0 will hold up for you.

I had the same questions you have when looking at getting the DHF 8.0. Looking at mtbr, I couldn't find much info about the fork. Luckily enough, one of the Avalanche sponsored racers responded to my post and answered my questions. Then I bought one.

I don't understand why some people say the 8.0 doesn't absorb the small bumps. My fork has so many "clicks" of adjustability that it gives a person much more fine tuning ability than what the zokes offers. Also - on my freeride and cross-country bikes, I run zokes. I love zokes, but on by DH bike zokes can't compare to Avalanche, IMO.

I'm also one of the few that have demolished an 8.0, almost $800 worth. To jack that fork up I broke a wrist in two places, had bruised ribs, and completely wasted a finger to the point where I only have about 40% use of it. That wreck only bent one stanchion of the Avalanche fork.

Body style - 6'4 and 220lbs. Riding style - I'm a hack - not smooth whatsoever. In the picture attached, this was the first V10 to really run the Avalanche rear shock ( I ran it through the ropes for Craig Seekins at Avalanche..). For my first DH race in Moab, UT, I took 3rd in sport class with this setup...

Yes. The avalanche does have amazing adjustments. I bought mine used, and it wasn't set up perfectly for me by Avalanche. Also it was a much older model.. like 2002 or so. I actually went and rode around a customer's bike at work today which had an avy on it. set up for my weight. I change my stance on the forks. they are butta'. had the upgraded compression adjuster and boy was it nice. didn't feel as heavy as my fork did

oh well. congrad's on gettin' the DHf-7. i think it'll rule.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

Thunder Chunky
    Yeah I talked to Craig today super cool guy very informative.. We decided on the DHF 7.0 Dual for the Blindside, Trans recommends 578mm axle to crown for the BS which is 22 3/4 going with the 8.0 as Craig said its actually close to a 9 inch fork will be a over 23 inches axle to crown with the 7.0 and the opt 1/2 fork caps I would be at 22 inch axle to crown which would be perfect.If I went with a 888 wc it would be $1500 the DHF 7.0 setup the way I want it would be the same.. I rather go with the AVY I know I ould just barrel threw stuff with it. So the new setup for the BS is gonna be a DHF 7.0 Dual up front and a Woodie in the rear with the High/Low, all for next year of course cause I am still finishing up this damn BS build I finally got the damn Hope rear hub that took a month to come in so I should be done with the BS Tomorrow I will post some pics for sure... So I will be joining the AVY cult soon cnat wait...
    Wait why is yours going to cost $1500? The 1/2 fork caps are free and i dont see what else could cost you more unless you are getting the ti version or the dual damper version??? Also could you explain to me what exactly the 1/2 caps do? I think I have set my mind on the avy too lol.

Addicted
    May 2006
    MMMM. AVY!!!

I loved my Avy. I sold it to get a lighter fork and now I'll likely end up ordering another Avy. I loved the buttery smoothness, insane small bump sensitivity, overall rigidity and the way it felt in its travel. I don't know exactly how to describe the way that it felt in the travel, it was progressive, yet perfectly so. The fork is super easy to service as well. My only complaint about the fork is the trail. The fork certainly rode quite different than any prior fork I had. I loved that fork, and once my new job picks up pay wise I'll order another. As a side note I should mention forks that I have ridden to compare against: 2 '06 Travis Triple Ti's, Marz 888 VF2(I think), 888 RC2X, 888 SL ATA, '06 Marz Junior T converted with HSCV cartridges, 2 Fox 40 RC2's and my current '08 Boxxer WC.

Here are some pics of my last rig with the Avy. That thing PLOWED over and through everything.

-Kevin

Thunder Chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxconvert
    MMMM. AVY!!!

-Kevin
    thats what my set up will be if I get an Avy...Revox in the back Avy up front...except on a completely different style of frame...

Addicted
    May 2006
    The revox was alright, but at a 3.5" stroke, an aluminum shaft and a frame that arrived with a misaligned pviot, the shaft bent on the first ride. After that I was never really as impressed as I hoped to be. It was quite light for it's size.

I will be replacing my Swinger 6way with an Avy for sure. We'll have to see if I can pick up a fork or not. I hope to.

-Kevin

mtbr member
    Love my Avy. Will never give it up. 4 years so far. Finally needs to be rebuilt.

mtbr member
    Those forks are boat anchors and aren't going to help you plow through any rockgarden better than a 888/40/Boxxer. And being 240lbs is no excuse to run such a heavy fork when other, just as capable forks exist at 2/3s of the weight.
    I'm 240lbs, and run a Boxxer WC w/ zero problems. Get a 888 if you really think you'll flog your fork to death. I personally don't buy the indestructible BS that follows that fork (888) but hell, if others hearsay makes you feel safer, go for it.
    I say Boxxer FTW, it feels just as nice as my 888 did, without the weight penalty. But of course hundreds of groms are gonna flock in here telling you Boxxers will break if you roll off crubs. Meh.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GnaR9
    Those forks are boat anchors and aren't going to help you plow through any rockgarden better than a 888/40/Boxxer. And being 240lbs is no excuse to run such a heavy fork when other, just as capable forks exist at 2/3s of the weight.
    I'm 240lbs, and run a Boxxer WC w/ zero problems. Get a 888 if you really think you'll flog your fork to death. I personally don't buy the indestructible BS that follows that fork (888) but hell, if others hearsay makes you feel safer, go for it.
    I say Boxxer FTW, it feels just as nice as my 888 did, without the weight penalty. But of course hundreds of groms are gonna flock in here telling you Boxxers will break if you roll off crubs. Meh.
    I have to disagree.. They are heavy but they arent just boat anchors. They are one of the best suspension out there I knew that before I asked I just havent talked to anyone that has a 8.0 so thats what I was wondering. Being 240lb isnt my excuse more my riding style than anything else but I am open to all forks, and I dont listen to the Boxxer's will snap talk i know a few people my size that ride Boxxers with no prob.

mtbr member
    I have to disagree.. They are heavy but they arent just boat anchors. They are one of the best suspension out there I knew that before I asked I just havent talked to anyone that has a 8.0 so thats what I was wondering. Being 240lb isnt my excuse more my riding style than anything else but I am open to all forks, and I dont listen to the Boxxer's will snap talk i know a few people my size that ride Boxxers with no prob.
    Word. I meant boat anchor in the "very very heavy yet good damping" kind of way. I know people who swear by them as well.
    I personally think that all riding styles are covered, for the most part, by most top of the line dh/fr specific forks on the market. So, I personally don't see the point in buying a more expensive, decently heavier fork... Unless the damping really is out of this world, which I guess is what you're trying to figure out, and I (again personally) doubt. But I've only had a short short time on an Avy DH 7.0.
    I guess I see an Avy as overkill, kinda like a Monster T. But that's just my opinion, and you're entitled to yours. My point was only that the three other choices out there will handle most peoples riding style fine and not weight 9lbs +.

Members who have read this thread: 0