Avid Juicy Problem- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Soul Cycles
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    819

    Avid Juicy Problem

    i have 6 inch juicy brakes and there just not cuttin it. there bout 2 and a half months old and the back one isnt better that a v brake. the front one also isnt grabbing as well as id like it too. the brakes are on a heavy bike, round 36 or 37 pounds i think and very heavy wheels, double wides. if i switch to a 180 or 203 inch rotor? also, my trials bike has a magura louise 6 inch front brake. it works like magic. i put it on the bike the other day and this still grabed the rotor better. should i just upgrade the rotor size or switch to the magura's?
    SELLING-

    Manitou Stance Statioc

    Huricane FORK UP

    Tioga XC Rims Still in wrap

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ebfreerider510's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,572
    larger rotors

  3. #3
    Lolligagger
    Reputation: Wadsworth McStackton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by sreiman
    i have 6 inch juicy brakes and there just not cuttin it. there bout 2 and a half months old and the back one isnt better that a v brake. the front one also isnt grabbing as well as id like it too. the brakes are on a heavy bike, round 36 or 37 pounds i think and very heavy wheels, double wides. if i switch to a 180 or 203 inch rotor? also, my trials bike has a magura louise 6 inch front brake. it works like magic. i put it on the bike the other day and this still grabed the rotor better. should i just upgrade the rotor size or switch to the magura's?

    I had a similar problem with my Juicy's. Sounds like a warrenty issue. Take 'em back.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4,441
    36-37lbs is a heavy bike?

    sounds like you dont have them adjusted and setup correctly.

    if they are, then it's probably a defective part.
    "What would happen to the Weather Channel's ratings if people werent scared anymore?"

  5. #5
    Schmeow Productions
    Reputation: JBsoxB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,396
    contaminated pads? warrenty, that's not right. i have a 29 lb bike and only one rear juicy, and it works great.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    827
    sand the pads and clean the rotors.

  7. #7
    RIDE TO LIVE&LIVE TO RIDE
    Reputation: ironhorsebike1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    826
    there's got to be something not right. i have those (but with one bigger rotor in front) on my 42 lb. DH race bike. i raced them the whole season and so did my team. all of us had plenty of stopping power and never wanted any other brake.

  8. #8
    Disco-Superfly
    Reputation: Jake_HT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    4,850
    Clean them, that definately does not sound normal
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

  9. #9
    Go for the throat
    Reputation: JD Risk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by sreiman
    i have 6 inch juicy brakes and there just not cuttin it. there bout 2 and a half months old and the back one isnt better that a v brake. the front one also isnt grabbing as well as id like it too. the brakes are on a heavy bike, round 36 or 37 pounds i think and very heavy wheels, double wides. if i switch to a 180 or 203 inch rotor? also, my trials bike has a magura louise 6 inch front brake. it works like magic. i put it on the bike the other day and this still grabed the rotor better. should i just upgrade the rotor size or switch to the magura's?
    I also have problems with these brakes but not to the extent you do. Try cleaning them and bleeding them. I can't seem to get a good bleed out of mine. I follow avid's instructions, use their fluid, and they always end up feeling spungy, unlike the Hayes I have on my DH bike. Anyone have any bleeding advice or any suggestions on the best way to clean rotors and pads?

  10. #10
    rollin
    Reputation: sriracha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,645
    sounds to me like you haven't even broken them in yet.
    there's a break in period. initially, yes, the brakes feel like wet cantilevers, but give 'em about 6 miles of downhill and then they'll feel strong and grabby.

    if you feel like you have broken them in, then maybe you have air in the system.
    my 8" juicy's are like formula 1 brakes, and my 6" avid mechs aren't far behind, i'm sure that the 6" juicy's are strong too...

  11. #11
    Go for the throat
    Reputation: JD Risk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    sounds to me like you haven't even broken them in yet.
    there's a break in period. initially, yes, the brakes feel like wet cantilevers, but give 'em about 6 miles of downhill and then they'll feel strong and grabby.

    if you feel like you have broken them in, then maybe you have air in the system.
    my 8" juicy's are like formula 1 brakes, and my 6" avid mechs aren't far behind, i'm sure that the 6" juicy's are strong too...
    They've been broken in for nearly a year. I probably do have air in them and that's my point. I've bled them several times per avid's manual and have even had others bleed them for me just in case I was missing something and every time they end up feeling spongy. I can squeeze the lever past the point of pad contact until it's almost touching the handle bar and this is with the reach adjustment screw turned all the way out. The only thing I can think of is my bleed kit doesn't work properly or I need a new hydraulic line.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    287
    sounds like you might have a tiny hole in your hose. That happened to my friend and everyone was going nuts trying to figure out what it was untill the shop finally replaced the hose.

  13. #13
    rollin
    Reputation: sriracha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,645
    Quote Originally Posted by JD Risk
    They've been broken in for nearly a year.
    I probably do have air in them and that's my point.
    I've bled them several times... and every time they end up feeling spongy.
    i was thinking that you should check your lever reach adjustment, not the red adjuster dial, but that allen screw on the inside area of the lever. screw that in/out to bring the lever out/in. but you mentioned you did that.

    hmmm...they shouldn't feel spongy.
    they should feel smooth, with a distinct contact, and then a solid grab of rotor. some of my friends say they feel overly grabby, but i argue it's because they're used to hayze.

    so, if it doesn't feel like i describe, then something is wrong. you might want to look at replacing the hose. check goodrich hydro lines. that's the best, a bit pricey, but lifetime garauntee.

    also, contact avid...they have quality customer service and stand by their product.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    32
    yeah thats not right, my brakes broke in after 2 weeks or so and work amazingly well, best brakes i've ever used

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.