Avid elixir cr, hope v2/m4, hayes stroke or shimano saint?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Avid elixir cr, hope v2/m4, hayes stroke or shimano saint?

hi
    I'm just looking for the best disk break for downhill. there many things to consider what of those are going to be the best option. maybe i pick the elixir cr, but i need some help to know if the others are a better choose. thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    While Hayes pretty much owned the hydro disc brake market at one time, I don't feel anything in their line up is worth considering with the likes of Avid, Formula, and Shimano out there.

The Saints are really sweet, and I think the Avid Code would be a solid choice as well. I've been on Codes for 3 years with out a single problem. They grip well, are highly adjustible, and pads are easy to find, which is somethng to consider if you're looking into Hope's...unless you're in Europe of course.

mtbr member
    I was in a similar situation. I picked the Elixir CR mainly because of how available the parts are. If something goes wrong, I know that all the shops around me carry parts for the Avids. That means less down time!

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker
    While Hayes pretty much owned the hydro disc brake market at one time, I don't feel anything in their line up is worth considering with the likes of Avid, Formula, and Shimano out there.

The Saints are really sweet, and I think the Avid Code would be a solid choice as well. I've been on Codes for 3 years with out a single problem. They grip well, are highly adjustible, and pads are easy to find, which is somethng to consider if you're looking into Hope's...unless you're in Europe of course.
    Agreed. With all the issues hayes has had in the past while, I wouldn't buy them.

I hear nothing but good about shimano. I've owned 3 sets of avid Juicy/Elixir in the past few years and they work well.

Hope however, has been my main pick. I've run multiple sets of m4's and they would be my first pick. I'm in Canada, and have never had trouble finding parts, either.

mtbr member
    Formula One is best brake for power and weight. If you like long manuals, too grabby, needs more modulation. If your racing or doing all day at bike park, they are so strong you will never need two fingers and hands will stay fresh all day.

mtbr member
    just one word HOPE!
    v2 or m4, you wont be disappointed with either. imo m4 has plenty of power, great modulation with the tech lever, or any of the levers. but if you are a larger guy then maybe the v2 is the way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Had no end of problems with the Codes, after yearly RMA's I sold the 3rd set without evening opening them. Installed V2's on my Highline and love them, solid so far.

On one of my XC bikes I've Elixir CR Mag's, no problems with those yet so far this year either.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    i heard the hope V2 have a progresive breaking, are the elixir's cr like them?? i think this is important as well, not only the power that the break could have

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Word is that the Hayes Stroker Aces are in fact good brakes. I had Hayes HD Mags for a while and they were off/on only. Not impressive. Plus they completely blew up and I had to junk them after only 1 season of riding.

I've been on Avid Juicy 7s for a while and love them, so my new bike is coming with Elixir CRs. Apparently there was a design flaw on the early versions of the CR levers that was permitting all kinds of air into the system, but it has since been corrected.

The Codes are strong, but I keep hearing horror stories about the power simply disappearing at random moments. No thanks.

I have tried the new Saints and they are very powerful. They will take a couple of rides to get used to as they can be fairly grabby if you are not used to them. Expensive as hell! I run the old version (XT, same thing) on my hard tail and they are nowhere near as powerful as the new ones, or even the Juicy 7s. They get the job done, but they are not all that impressive. Completely different lever feel than the Juicy7s.

I have no time on Hopes of any kind, so no comment there.
    -Skimming the successpool of corporate America-

Addicted
    May 2006
    I've got a set of Code Mag CR's one bike and they are great brakes, I'll probably trade them out for a set of Elixir CR's down the road to save weight and I don't notice much difference in power between the two.

I've got a set of Hayes Strokers on another bike and I love them. They work great. My HFX 9's were alright, and my El Camino's are a huge pain, but the Strokers are becoming a quite favorite.

I have a set of Shimano XT brakes and they are nice, but I feel they fall behind the Code's and Elixirs. I would put them on par with the Strokers. (Stroker Rydes are a different caliper and seem to be poo compared to the rest of the line)

I had a set of Hope 6pot Ti's that I recently sold. In 3 years I never once bled them or did anything more than swap out the pads once. They were incredible and very low maintanence.

I plan on trying some R1's on my 2011 Reign build as I love the feel of the Formula levers, however if I were to make a recomendation so someone I would say stick to Avid for their customer support and readily available parts. Hayes has really stepped it up and is great to work with now as well, but Avid still owns the customer service area.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I currently own a set of Saints, 2 sets of Elixer CR's, a set of Juicy 3's, and a set of XTR's. The Saints are the most powerful by a far stretch. The Elixers are second, but with noticeably less modulation than the Saints. They are still a very good brake, but I've had small issues with them compared to zero problems with the the Saints. The XTR's would be third in power, but with good modulation, and light! Obviously they were designed as an XC/trail brake. The Juicy 3 is decent, but I wouldn't want to run it hard under aggressive riding conditions. the only negative comment I can make about the Saints are they can be a little loud when they get hot with the stock pads. The other brake that I haven't tried but would put on my short list is the Formula One.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I had nothing but problems with my 2010 saints so much so that shimano replaced the complete set which are now up for sale. I now have a set of the hope moto v2 and there is no comparison in fit and finish, and reliability. I will say that I dont think they are any stronger than the saints(when they were working). Check out some of the other forums and you will see plenty of issues with the saints. I have also have a set of the juicy 3's and 3.5's. I have had issues with brake fade on long runs.

Members who have read this thread: 0