Avid Codes vs Juicys- Mtbr.com
    fight the system

Avid Codes vs Juicys

Sram advertises Juicys (5, 7, and carbon's) for DH to xc use but the Codes are real DH brakes. Is it worth paying more and the extra weight of Codes or are (in my case) the Juicy 5's with 203 rotors plenty. i'm 150 lbs and ride ski lift runs all day. I've overheated my wimpy xc brakes before so i gotta get something bigger.
    If you believe that I've got some magic beans to sell ya.

mtbr member
    well, it would definetly be a toss up between Juicy 7s (not 5s) and Codes

but if you ride ski lifts all day, then I would suggest the Codes. Its really what they were designed for and you won't be dissapointed. Of course, this is coming from a guy who has codes on his AM bike....
    '05 p.2
    tryin to have fun on a college budget, and doin a pretty good job of it

fight the system
    Quote Originally Posted by wako29
    but if you ride ski lifts all day, then I would suggest the Codes..
    thats what i was thinking too but i'm still a weight weenie at heart.

a toss up between Juicy 7s (not 5s) and Codes
    why do you think the j5 blow?

mtbr member
    Do yourself a favor and check out the Hope Mono's.

Just make sure they're set up properly and they are seriously hard to beat. They're really more akin to motorcycle brakes as far as modulation and control goes. Very very high quality stuff.

Some Assembly Required
    Ridin' ski lifts AND a weight weenie.....hmmmm. Better go w/Codes. I've ridden both & boiled my 7's consistantly on runs that are no longer than 15mins. Codes are all yer gonna need for dh & th' weight won't even factor in w/the perma-grin yer gonna have after a run w/o havin' to worry about brakes failin'.

CODES

'nuff said
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by creyc
    Do yourself a favor and check out the Hope Mono's.
    No offense cryec because I don't mean to single you out, just comment in general...why do people always offer other options on other products when the question is about Avid for example?

People do this all the time, you ask which is faster, a Shellby Cobra or a Corvette? Then someone says, a Viper. Anyway, everyone does it, even myself at times.

Onto the topic at hand, I too was thinking of upgrading my Juciy 7s to Codes next spring. I was going to put the 7's on my wifes FR bike since she weights 75lbs less and goes slower and put the Mag's currently on her bike in the extras bin.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    theres nothing different in the caliper of the 5/7s. the only difference is the pad contact adjuster that comes with the 7's, but the 5's can handle that with a decent bleed. if you're doing lift assisted runs all day, go with the codes. for 08 they're 60 grams lighter, so if thats an issue than order the 08's (they're out already).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakomonster
    thats what i was thinking too but i'm still a weight weenie at heart.

why do you think the j5 blow?
    I wouldn't worry about the weight. You aren't climbing at all, and they first time you use the Codes, you really will forget about the extra grams (like man w/ one hand said).

And I'm not against Juicy 5s, but I wouldn't be looking at them if I were you just because of the riding you are doing. And I have heard of 7s failing on serious DH parts, and that is why Avid made the Codes in the first place
    '05 p.2

mtbr member
    Sram advertises Juicys (5, 7, and carbon's) for DH to xc use but the Codes are real DH brakes. Is it worth paying more and the extra weight of Codes or are (in my case) the Juicy 5's with 203 rotors plenty. i'm 150 lbs and ride ski lift runs all day. I've overheated my wimpy xc brakes before so i gotta get something bigger.
    The key word to your statement is advertises. SRAM recently updated their site but just a few weeks ago there was a link to a pdf spreadsheet will al the brakes listed. On that sheet the indended use for the juicy carbons included DH but that was not the case for the juicy 7. I raised this point in an older thread that the fact because the only difference the carbon gives you over the 7 is the carbon lever and ti hardware saving 9 grams. I was amazed at how carbon and ti make brakes more dh worthy. They have since updated the pdf to include the 7 as DH options...moral of my rant. Take SRAM's advertising claims with a grain of salt.

The overheating will be alleviated with a larger rotor for the most part. The codes are going to be a more powerful brake than the juicy's. As a 7 user I tried my buddy's codes as I was deciding which brakes for my fr rig for lift service and was blown away at how little effort it took to slow the bike down, almost like a hair trigger. I think i was coming to a stop much quicker but in part b/c I was not used how sensitive they were. To me the codes were overkill for my weight(165) and am very happy with my decision. I think they are great for bigger guys who need the power to stop but at your weight the 7 will handle the stopping power just fine with 203mm rotors. The weight weenie in you will be happy too.

mike

fight the system
    Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand
    Ridin' ski lifts AND a weight weenie.....hmmmm.
    Ya, i'm a mess. one weekend i'll race a 24 solo, the next i'll be on a dh bike riding lifts, later i'll be doing a 2hr pro xc, another will be a stage road race, then i'll 180 drop a million things on my bmx... and in between it all i'll be commuting 17 miles to work each way. If it has two wheels i'll figure it out. oh and i started rock climbing too.

but anyway, codes might get the nod if i can find em cheep enough. I gotta buy a new fork too, my old white bros started spewing up grey gunk last weekend in a major way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wako29
    And I have heard of 7s failing on serious DH parts, and that is why Avid made the Codes in the first place
    Not to attack you or start a war or nothin but can you substantiate that claim? what was the situation and how did they 'fail'. I have not heard anything of the sort but want to be aware of such issues. I have enough spills on my own I dont want brake failure to add to my injuries.

mike

Meh.
    I think the J7s with a fresh bleed of high performance DOT fluid would take care of most people's issues with fade.

I've got some J7s that you can have for cheap. If you don't like em, you can probably sell them for more! Haha.

Living the High Life
    I know I'm leaning towards switching to Codes. More surface area = more friction force. So they stop better.

That and it would be nice to get the Hayes off my wife's bike.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

fight the system
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey_C
    The key word to your statement is advertises. SRAM recently updated their site but just a few weeks ago there was a link to a pdf spreadsheet will al the brakes listed. On that sheet the indended use for the juicy carbons included DH but that was not the case for the juicy 7. I raised this point in an older thread that the fact because the only difference the carbon gives you over the 7 is the carbon lever and ti hardware saving 9 grams. I was amazed at how carbon and ti make brakes more dh worthy. They have since updated the pdf to include the 7 as DH options...moral of my rant. Take SRAM's advertising claims with a grain of salt.

The overheating will be alleviated with a larger rotor for the most part. The codes are going to be a more powerful brake than the juicy's. As a 7 user I tried my buddy's codes as I was deciding which brakes for my fr rig for lift service and was blown away at how little effort it took to slow the bike down, almost like a hair trigger. I think i was coming to a stop much quicker but in part b/c I was not used how sensitive they were. To me the codes were overkill for my weight(165) and am very happy with my decision. I think they are great for bigger guys who need the power to stop but at your weight the 7 will handle the stopping power just fine with 203mm rotors. The weight weenie in you will be happy too.

mike

crap, now i'm more confused, Mike you make a few great points. maybe i should just flip a coin cause i dont think it will matter all that much either way... thanks for eveyones thoughts on this. I'll figure something out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey_C
    Not to attack you or start a war or nothin but can you substantiate that claim? what was the situation and how did they 'fail'. I have not heard anything of the sort but want to be aware of such issues. I have enough spills on my own I dont want brake failure to add to my injuries.

mike
    ya i remember reading about some people complaining about bad fade and they were switching to Codes because of this. Your right, 'fail' was a bad term. And I am a firm believer that J7s are GREAT brakes. But for not that much money, the Codes will do exactly what this guy is asking for.

Oh, and i got mine on ebay. Both ends, 8" for about $375
    '05 p.2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    I know I'm leaning towards switching to Codes. More surface area = more friction force. So they stop better.
    Remember with more surface area you need more force too however.

Take a razor blade and scrape it on a table against the knife edge, then set it down and notice how easy it slides across the same table. Even though it's got more surface area laying down.

Meh.
    As I said. Most issues with fade can be resolved by a good bleed with a high performance DOT fluid.

fight the system

Codes

Well, after going in circles on this i've decided to break my old habit and forget about weight and get the Codes. I'm gonna die. after running xc brakes with 165mm rotors the 203's on the codes is going deadly, i cant wait Then again when my xc brakes stopped working all together and i had to stop by using my foot on the back tire going down Paid in Full I think this will be much better.

thanks for the help.

Shop *****
    Yep. The avid Codes have more stopping power than the Juicy 7's
    Quote Originally Posted by <sL4yEr>RuLz
    All good suggestions. What kind of "ass-orderant" would you recommend?

PULL
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    As I said. Most issues with fade can be resolved by a good bleed with a high performance DOT fluid.
    I agree, my codes are giving me the goose with stock brake fluid right now. Just too many beat downs on it lately.

Going to motul 5.1 and I can't wait!!!

mtbr member
    I dont know why you'd be concerned over the weight factor of brakes on a DH bike, i could see worrying about cranks and frame/wheels, but not brakes. I use my juicy 7's for heavy downhilling, waste of my damn money, i figured the red contact knob would be sweet but its just a pile of S*#T if youre downhilling, good for xc though. Look into buying Code 5's..not the regular codes, of course the regular codes have nice levers, but how often will you ever use the adjustment, probably never, so just go with code calipers and J5 levers IMHO.

http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/ItemMa...5&MatrixType=1
    Last edited by ScBullitFr3rider; 09-21-2007 at 08:28 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Formula ORIO 24K 2008, i rode the M4, the M6,Codes, juicy 7, Magura and i can tell you that the 24k is the brakes you wanna rides if you are DHing on a chairlift access: 1 thing thought;

The codes are the strongest "block wheels", but the strongest modulation are the ORIO 24K, i swear they are design to modulate and tehy are so strong at it that you will never block your wheel again .. i HIGHLY recommand them, i swear its the best thing you could buy !

-Frank

mtbr member
    Code 5's they stop my 240lb ass on a dime... $240 for the set 203mm F&R... Best brakes I have owned so far I have the Juicy 3's and the 5's no comparison..I rode my buddies bike that Formulas on it they were pretty nice too not sure which ones though.. But I am a Avid fan for the money i think the Code 5's are hard to beat.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    J5's came on my new AS-X and they are really weak compared to the J7's on my Enduro. Thinking about Codes, little weight ok, boiling when you need them....BAD!!! Big difference between the 5 and and seven IMO, BTW both are running 203 rotors, so apples to apples.

Meh.
    J5 and J7 are the EXACT SAME aside from the knob on the lever. The difference you felt is either because the brakes aren't bedded in, they're running different pad compounds, contamination, or it's got a bad bleed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    J5 and J7 are the EXACT SAME aside from the knob on the lever.
    I bet all you guys saying that J7's are better than J5's feel silly now....

Bike Ninja |||
    Well, after going in circles on this i've decided to break my old habit and forget about weight and get the Codes. I'm gonna die. after running xc brakes with 165mm rotors the 203's on the codes is going deadly, i cant wait Then again when my xc brakes stopped working all together and i had to stop by using my foot on the back tire going down Paid in Full I think this will be much better.

thanks for the help.

i hope it was only lower paid in full.. you might need a new pair of shoes now too....

good job on the codes. you won't be disappointed.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by dowst
    I bet all you guys saying that J7's are better than J5's feel silly now....
    They are... because of the knob...
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    They are... because of the knob...

They must like Knobs....

Members who have read this thread: 0