Avid BB7s on an SS/FR bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Avid BB7s on an SS/FR bike

Yeah, I did a search and suprisingly enough, didn't find anything relevant.
    Anyway, due to my budget and having really no other choice, I have ordered an Avid BB7 front brake kit (with the 203mm rotor) for my BR.
    I'm well aware that this isn't the best choice for what I'll be doing on it but I wanted to see if anyone else has them on their SS/FR bike and how well they hold up; and what to expect out of them.
    One thing I am doing is my friend has a G2 clean sweep rotor he isn't using and I'm going to use that rotor rather than the POS roundagon that comes with it.

So what can I expect? Will they hold up for quite a while so I can take the time tosave for a much nicer (Gustavs, V2 Moto, Elixirs) brake set), or do you think I'll go through it quickly and will need a slight upgrade sooner?
    Jump it onto something off of something or over something.

There's more to freeriding than dirt jumps.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    i have some on my hradrock, and it's been to bell and back...about to fall apart, and they have held up very well...i did urban riding on mine, even though it's not designed for it....they will last for a fair amount of time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by allstartrack22
    i have some on my hradrock, and it's been to bell and back...about to fall apart, and they have held up very well...i did urban riding on mine, even though it's not designed for it....they will last for a fair amount of time.
    Thanks! I just wanted to know what to expect out of them. Since I will be doing more slopestyle and NS freeride stuff and not so much DH, I won't be riding them as hard as a DHer would. Hopefully that will allow them to last long enough for me to splurge on a Hope Moto V2 set; I know that would be overkill but brakes aren't an area you want to go low quality on.

mtbr member
    You will be fine, especially in the beginning. Over time the housing drag to the rear brake becomes a problem (mechanical vs hydraulic). You can get a Juicy really cheap now, and throw it on there. IMO brakes are all about modulation and reliability now. If you need more power, easy to go with larger rotor (or stronger finger!). With the BB7 you can adjust power by dialing the throw down (red knob), so power is not an issue. Also, brake pads often get contaminated with bad things (like chain lube) and turn into crap. My gf's Hope's were giving her trouble, and I found maybe 30% power in the rear and maybe 60% in the front, due to bad pads. So change them out if you experience worse grip than when new.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    They should suffice for the time being until you splurge on a nice hydro set. You don't even need to spend as much as you would for Gustavs, Elixirs, v2 moto's etc. I have Hayes 9's on my DH rig and am looking to upgrade pretty soon, these are the one's I am considering...maybe they will help you make a decision-----

Juicy 7 - http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/ItemMa...7&MatrixType=1

Magura Louise - http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/ItemMa...2&MatrixType=1

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Smoking close-out deal on Juicy 7 carbons. Limits you to a 160mm for the front but you can always get a new rotor and adaptor

http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/ItemMa...7&MatrixType=1

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by csermonet
    Smoking close-out deal on Juicy 7 carbons. Limits you to a 160mm for the front but you can always get a new rotor and adaptor

http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/ItemMa...7&MatrixType=1
    just missed XTRs on chainlove too I'd watch for them to be back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 69nites
    just missed XTRs on chainlove too I'd watch for them to be back.
    Haven't seen them on chainlove in a while but keep an eye out for the Saint M800's on there as well

Its got what plants crave
    BB7s are a very good brake IMO. I've been running the same set on like 3 bikes.. there is nothing to go wrong really. Put in some good pads and they will stop you without quite well. Just because they're cheap doesn't mean they're crappy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought
    You will be fine, especially in the beginning. Over time the housing drag to the rear brake becomes a problem (mechanical vs hydraulic).
    Oops. Should have specified. I'm only getting the front brake. The back brake will remain the Shimano 160mm hydraulic basic brake, which works pretty well I might add.
    It's just the front brake, even after my LBS tuned them and put new pads on, still squeak like a train whistle and just don't stop for crap, let alone being able to do endos with them; they came off a 29lb A/M Rocky Mountain Edge and I think a 40 lb BR is just too much bike for them, at least those 160mm rotors.

Thanks for the info gents. I feel a bit better about my purchase.

GAME ON!
    when i had a bb7 setup i swore i didn't need hydraulics. then i switched for no reason and am a hydraulic convert. however, i still run a bb7 on my urban ride. any brake will stop me as i am under 150# but i think they have tremendous power.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Shoot Allen an email at Dropnzone.com, they had some killer deals on Juicy 7's goin'. I got a brand new set of 08's for around 240$ I think it was for 203mm rotors...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    when i had a bb7 setup i swore i didn't need hydraulics. then i switched for no reason and am a hydraulic convert. however, i still run a bb7 on my urban ride. any brake will stop me as i am under 150# but i think they have tremendous power.
    I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with hydraulics. But I didn't see any comparable hydraulic brake kits that would be similar to the peformance of the BB7s, for about $55 a set; it's really hard to beat that price. Even the next step up, the Elixer Rs were still about $120 a set.
    If I'm gunna be spending much more than $100, then I'm just going to splurge on some Gustav's, Stroker Aces, or Moto V2's.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I got a set of brand new take off juicy 5s for $110 shipped on pinkbike.
    2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Southern Maine

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    as others have said, the bb7 is a good brake and its made even better with a solid setup. if yer not happy with how they feel now, try this.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Stand back
    I run BB7's on my SX, it does everything from 35 mi/ 5000' vft trail rides to 4x. I even snuck a few dh practice runs on it last year (Sol Vista and Snowmass) - all with 6" rotors. You don't need hydros for power or modulation, and I'd take the BB7's over old style Hayes, no question. That being said, I do somewhat prefer the Formula K24's on my other bike, but not enough to buy another set...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    as others have said, the bb7 is a good brake and its made even better with a solid setup. if yer not happy with how they feel now, try this.
    Added that link to my favorites. Thanks for the find!
    From the reviews I've read, merely swapping that Round-a-GONE out for the G2 Clean Sweep should make a world of difference. If nothing else, I'll see if I can get the Roundagon to fit in the Shimano caliper in the back. If it doesn't, oh well.

Much appreciation for the information gentlemens.

if i remember it right, shimano and avid both use a 165 rotor so it should swap out just fine. and yes, the g2 cs rotor is way better and removes most of the howl. glad i could help. just dont get lazy and skip a step or ya may find its not as good as it could be.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    if i remember it right, shimano and avid both use a 165 rotor so it should swap out just fine. and yes, the g2 cs rotor is way better and removes most of the howl. glad i could help. just dont get lazy and skip a step or ya may find its not as good as it could be.
    Except for the fact that I ordered a 203 mm Roundagon with the kit and the G2 will also be a 203. So a 203 will be going in the back as well; I understand that I'll probably have to get an adapter for the Shimano before I attempt to install it.

thats right, you said front, didnt ya? doh! 203 is 203 so there shoudnt be any issues. unless yer a very large guy, that can be alotta rotor in back causin some un wanted lock up. think on a 180 if yer under 190 or so.
    No, I'm NOT back!

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by rmb_mike
    I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with hydraulics. But I didn't see any comparable hydraulic brake kits that would be similar to the peformance of the BB7s, for about $55 a set; it's really hard to beat that price. Even the next step up, the Elixer Rs were still about $120 a set.
    If I'm gunna be spending much more than $100, then I'm just going to splurge on some Gustav's, Stroker Aces, or Moto V2's.
    i originally had found juicy 7s for $50/per and then i found a set of stroker trails for $120. that made the switch worth it to me. then i sold the bb7s for $30-40 each
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

Members who have read this thread: 0