Attn BigHit owners: Where do you get the guard for under BB?- Mtbr.com

Feb 2004

New question here. Attn BigHit owners: Where do you get the guard for under BB?

I recently picked up my Bighit and I have seen in photos on this board what looks like a guard that runs from the water bottle cage mounts and under the BB. This would be great to protect the cables that Specialized has routed under there.

Where can I find one?

oes anyone have a picture of the underside of their bike so I can see the entire guard?

Thanks!

john

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by klein444
    I recently picked up my Bighit and I have seen in photos on this board what looks like a guard that runs from the water bottle cage mounts and under the BB. This would be great to protect the cables that Specialized has routed under there.

Where can I find one?

oes anyone have a picture of the underside of their bike so I can see the entire guard?

Thanks!

john
    protect them from what? last time i looked, most people had a bashring that was significantly larger than the bottom bracket diameter. your ring will keep anything and everything away from said cables. by a long shot actually....

mtbr member
    yeah, not sure what you're talking about. It may seem a bit vulnerable, but I dropped mine right on the edge of a concrete wall and it was fine. If you're really worried you can route the hydro brake line up along the suspension link. I wouldn't be too worried about hitting the derailleur cable/housing.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    There is no such mfg guard. If you've seen anything it was something made by the user, like DarkNut's here (see pic). But I do not beleive it actually goes under his BB.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jan 2004
    any pimp knows you dont actually use the cable routing scheme they give you. Cable routings always an afterthought, so make up your own system for style points.

Jan 2004

... and if we just ... Is this what you are talking about?

somefeargear is selling these.

keeps you from getting dents in your downtube.
    available for bighits only at the moment.

if you never ride in rocks you prob. don't need one

later dArknut

http:www.somefeargear.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

We get titles?
    Quote Originally Posted by klein444

Where can I find one?

Thanks!

john
    There's a guy here named brownteeth that manufacturers such a frame fender. Its the ugliest thing I've ever seen, but he calls it the fugly fender, so apparently he's aware of its aesthetic shortcomings.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...46286#poststop

Jan 2004
    lol

anyways, dents are a frames right of passge IMO. Nothin says hardcore like a big nasty scar.

We get titles?
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    lol

anyways, dents are a frames right of passge IMO. Nothin says hardcore like a big nasty scar.
    No doubt. On the downtube anyway. Top tube dents are just plain ugly, however. Anyway, the brownteeth fender, as I remember, is designed to protect the drivetrain from mud, not the downtube from dents (although that might be a fringe benefit). Personally, I think mud is inevitable. Mud happens, ya know?

Jan 2004
    mud's a good thing. Its another sure 'manly' indicator. Goes very well with dents.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I cut up a old XC tire I had laying around and used a few zip ties and the water bittle bosses to hold it all up....Works great and costed nada!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darknut
    somefeargear is selling these.

keeps you from getting dents in your downtube.
    available for bighits only at the moment.

if you never ride in rocks you prob. don't need one

later dArknut

http:www.somefeargear.com
    ahh.. good point. I got a nice size chunk in my downtube.

But, like the others said, it's more a right of passage then something to be hidden

Feb 2004

Good job! Excellent!

great feedback - exactly what I was talking about.

I should get in and re-route the cables. There was a post awhile back about routing along the linkage and other ways to 'improve' the factory routing.
    I do run a front der. so I have that cable to consider also.

Like the make it yourself idea. I was thinking about some thick sheet metal or alum. that I could bend to act as a guard then I thought about cutting myself - so the tire idea sounds good.

I'll also check out somefear - that is a great site.

Appreciate it!

(maybe one day i'll step into the modern age and get a digital camera and post a pic of
    my bike)

john

Members who have read this thread: 0