Attention DH girls, call for help (Socal)- Mtbr.com
    Pro Beginner Crash Expert
    Jan 2004

Attention DH girls, call for help (Socal)

My friend Jill who recently discovered mountain biking has shown an interest in DH racing. Her one concern other than killing herself is that she is the only girl interested in it. I tried to reassure her that she is definitely not. She wants to try it at least in a practice format and I told her there is a race coming up in Fontana in Novemeber that she should at least go to and maybe some people might be practicing there beforehand.

Is there anyone that she can contact that can kind of put her under their wing? No commitment or anything just someone to show her the ropes. I have offered but in the end I'm just another guy. Right now she only has a hardtail and has had very limited experience downhilling on dirt. That being said she also runs spin classes. Her sprinting is insane.

I hope one of you guys can lend a hand.

Thanks in advance.

Mott

SBF-Racing

abolisher of A$$holes
    sunnyracegirl is the one to contact...she's really nice, helpful, lives in socal and has some experience coaching....especially beginners...I just read a write up about her teaching some newbie roadies how to ride through the bike shop she works at...I'm sure she'd be more than happy to help...plus she usually races the Fontana races anyways...at least when she's not broken off...

you can send her a PM on here...good luck to your friend...
    I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions --but I don't always agree with them.
    George Bush, US President

mtbr member
    That sounds kool, another girl in the dirt..sweet. My wife is an on and off again downhiller and she would like to have some one besides me to ride with. What kind of bike does she ride what type of trail can she handle,what area does she live in? Fontana will be lots of fun for her. Does she do Elings park in Santa Barbara?

mtbr member
    Very cool!

Mott, please PM me for my contact info and have Jill give me a call or email. I'd be happy to take her out to some local stuff in San Diego and help her find her feet, so to speak. While Fontana is do-able on a hardtail, she'll perhaps have a better experience on a FS bike. I have one she can use, if she's interested (the Morewood Shova I rode last year - 6" and not too heavy).

There's some decent stuff we could hit right where I live near Chula Vista. Otherwise, I take shop rides from UC Cyclery every Tuesday morning at 8am. We go to UCSD. There are a few fairly technical spots there as well.

Hope to hear from you soon :-)

-sunny
    (Laura Drexler, No Brakes Racing)

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyracegirl
    Very cool!

Mott, please PM me for my contact info and have Jill give me a call or email. I'd be happy to take her out to some local stuff in San Diego and help her find her feet, so to speak. While Fontana is do-able on a hardtail, she'll perhaps have a better experience on a FS bike. I h)
    be nice and play nice laura
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    be nice and play nice laura
    what??

You're still reliving the pain from when I took you to Noble Canyon?

Members who have read this thread: 0