Atomlab Trailpimp DHR's.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Atomlab Trailpimp DHR's.

Does anyone have any experience with Atomlab Trailpimp DHR?
    I'm pretty keen to give them a go.
    I've flat spotted my 321D a couple of times (and cracked it) while running a 2.8 Michelin and have just found a nice big crack on my rear 521D.

Soooooo... anyone had the pleasure of riding these rims yet?

Stu.

you said.. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stun
    I've flat spotted my 321D a couple of times (and cracked it) while running a 2.8 Michelin and have just found a nice big crack on my rear 521D.

Stu.
    I have one on the back of my 575. I guess I'm pretty hard on rims and I managed to tweek it the 2nd time out. I got a nice 1" long dent in the side wall, hope it doesn't taco anytime soon...

I'd look to the arrow rims, I've heard they are very tough, ask Red5 about them.
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Trailpimps are tough, but heavy and made of soft metal. I ran one for a season on the back, and it had too many sidewall dents to count when I took it off. Otherwise the wheel was still true, though it did need regular truing. They are very tough to kill, as they should be with an extra 200 grams of metal versus the Mavic rims you're running (850 vs 650). Arrows are as tough as the Trailpimps and about the same weight as the Mavics. Those Mavic D321 rims are tough too, I've had no problems with mine.

What tire pressure are you running? Low pressure kills rims, especially in the flatspot department. I run 30-35 PSI and get no flatspots, much better high-speed traction, and a small loss of low-speed traction.

Or are the rims cracking around the spoke eyelets? That happens if the spoke tension is too high.

Bighit Evangalest
    I've got dual 24" trailpimps on my huck unit and love em. They are really strong, pretty heavy, but you get that usualy if you want strong. They look bada$$ too. The offset eyelets seems to add more lateral stiffness, but I dont know if there is any fact in that statement. thats just what it seems like...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To feel no fear denotes a lack of intellegence.
    True courage is feeling the fear and doing it anyway.

all end up here someday
    Quote Originally Posted by Stun

Stu.

If you've flat-spotted some D321's, perhaps the Trailpimps aren't what you are looking for, mine seemed to flatspot even easier than the D321's. Plus the Trailpimps don't have welded seams which cost me a front and rear wheel both at the same time...

Depending on how bad the crack on the D321's is, I rode cracked 321's front and back for over a year with no problems. They weren't the truest wheels on the planet, but they kept on going....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If I get lost, don't go too fast!

mtbr member
    Are you asking about DHR or Trailpimp? Trailpimps are heavier and are claimed stronger. I ran the DHR which is a racing rim for a whole season and got the standard flat spots but the held up well. Didn't get them trued the entire time and stayed pretty straight. They are light rims!!!! Similiar in weight to a 521. I weigh 200lbs and run about 20-25 lbs in my tires.