Atomlab Aircorp Pedal - Problems- Mtbr.com
    All Mt, DH

Atomlab Aircorp Pedal - Problems

I have run these pedals for about a month now.
    Overall the pedals are really big, thin and grippy.
    There have been some issues though with the 'wave' washers splitting and then the pedal body getting loose on the axle. I obtained some more wave washers but the same thing happened...
    Yesterday the pedal came off the body along with all the washers, bushes and circlips... while doing 40kph... amazingly we found all the bits and put it back together and rode on.

My question is do other people have problems with this pedal?
    There is no nut. Just a circlip on the end of the axle which sits in a notch... with a few washer next to it. If the circlip takes a big hit it does let go.

I assume the axle is heat treated so would be hard to drill and install a small screw/bolt on the end to replace the circlip..
    My other indea is to make a 6mm by 12mm Dia bush and have one or 2, 3mm set screws (like in most flat pedals) to hold it in place....

Any thought recommendations...

Here is the link to the atomlab site

http://www.atomlab.com/mtbpedac.html site

Thanks

PS I have run Mallet M's for ages with serious probs.
    2007 Blur 4x
    2009 Driver 8

Meh.
    The Atomlabs can be a bit tricky. Drilling and tapping the axle will be quite a task.

mtbr member
    Yeah, the same exact thing happened to me with those pedals. They were sick untill the washer came off.

mtbr remember
    damn, I was just about to buy some... so thin and grippy looking. I have the older models right now, and they are solid, but they do develop play easily... but that's nowhere near as bad as shooting off the spindle because of a little circlip!!!! looks like the Trailkings might be the next option. I'd let atomlab know about this asap.
    Schralp it Heavy.

All Mt, DH
    Here are the pics of the pedals in question....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Blur 4x
    2009 Driver 8

I rot before I ripen
    I've been using them on three of my bikes for the last year or two. No problems. Although last month I did tear apart one set to grease em up. Damn if that circlip didn't snap off and fly away when I was taking it apart. Took me an hour to find it 10 feet away.

Other than that, the aircorps rock.

damon

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have heard of the Atom lab pedals coming off the spindle before, the outer ball bearing fails and there is no large back-up washer to keep the pedal on the spindle if there is a catastrophic bearing failure. I have used the Easton Flatboy and the Kore Elite pedals and the pedals have never come off the spindle. A friend of mine uses the Profile Gas pedals and he likes them http://www.profileracing.com/product...p?productid=72
    Last edited by BalleRacing; 01-14-2007 at 12:00 PM.

dressed to play
    Yup, same thing happened to me. Pedal body came off the spindle, thankfully not at any speed. I was on holiday at the time so had no choice but to buy new pedals.
    I've also used the 07 trailkings, snapped an axle whilst jumping.
    140 of Atomlab pedals in 6 months..... not very happy

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004
    the frightening thing is that is the same technique (in priniciple) that vw used to hold the rear suspension in place on the mkIIs.

terrible terrible design no matter what the application.
    To air is human, to dig is divine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Dropped a pedal right after doing a drop. Sent them to AtomLab and got new pedals that I'm told were fixed. Haven't had a problem since (2yrs). Nice pedals. Syncros ? Veggie Burgers ?
    All about the ride

mtbr remember
    alright, now I'm getting confused.... I thought the problem was limited to the new model pedals, only out this year.... with the ridges on the top middle and super thin. but you say 2 years ago greenmacheen?? I have some that are at least 2 years old, never had a prob (other than minor side to side play in the bushing). there is no circlip on mine, just the spindle bolt. hmmm....
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    alright, now I'm getting confused.... I thought the problem was limited to the new model pedals, only out this year.... with the ridges on the top middle and super thin. but you say 2 years ago greenmacheen?? I have some that are at least 2 years old, never had a prob (other than minor side to side play in the bushing). there is no circlip on mine, just the spindle bolt. hmmm....
    Back in 2003 I rode for them and had the BALLISTIC lexans that shattered on me. They then sent me the AIRCORPS they had bolts on the end and never had a problem????

mtbr member
    could you use a c clip instead of that daft e clip,c clips seem to wrap round more,or circlips even.

Local Paperboy Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    Yeah, I've heard of problems with their older pedals. Sounds like the new ones might not be much better. I wish Mike and Greg would just figure it out and design something solid. But, having said that, they both have been extremely helpful whenever I contact them about something.

New website is looking good. And they brought the Comp III for 26s beeatches!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Since there is a bunch of mis-information and guessing in this thread, I thought I might throw in some info.

The newer (circlip) pedals have no bearings unlike the earlier versions. ALL pedal bearings are VERY small and very prone to failure and is the reason most un-informed people *****/bash/complain and replace their pedals.
    BUT....
    the bearing is a standard part that cam be bought at ANY bearing supplier for ~ $1. So be proactive and pick up five bucks worth of pedal bearings and put them in your tool box. If you smack a pedal and 'tear' it off the spindle, go put in a new bearing and be on your way..could not be more simple!!!

For the orig poster.....and others....your pedal should NOT have those wave washers. They were replaced with an elastomer/o-ring that seems to hold up much better. Either get your butt to Lowes and find an o-ring to fit or call Atomlab and have them send you the replacement elastomers...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    use a snap ring, i doubt that would come off

All Mt, DH
    Quote Originally Posted by davep
    Since there is a bunch of mis-information and guessing in this thread, I thought I might throw in some info.

The newer (circlip) pedals have no bearings unlike the earlier versions. ALL pedal bearings are VERY small and very prone to failure and is the reason most un-informed people *****/bash/complain and replace their pedals.
    BUT....
    the bearing is a standard part that cam be bought at ANY bearing supplier for ~ $1. So be proactive and pick up five bucks worth of pedal bearings and put them in your tool box. If you smack a pedal and 'tear' it off the spindle, go put in a new bearing and be on your way..could not be more simple!!!

For the orig poster.....and others....your pedal should NOT have those wave washers. They were replaced with an elastomer/o-ring that seems to hold up much better. Either get your butt to Lowes and find an o-ring to fit or call Atomlab and have them send you the replacement elastomers...
    Davep
    I value your advice. Even though we made it off the mountain ok after the pedal came off the shaft I checked the wave washer when home and one was cracked. I will try and get / or make some elastomer washer/s and a proper C clip... the one that requires circlip pliers.
    The version I have doesn't have sealed bearings (only Bushes - and one fell out onto the trail too... but we found it).
    I think they are great pedals - all this could have been avoided if they just made a simple thread and nylon nut on the end of the shaft like most pedals....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Blur 4x
    2009 Driver 8

Members who have read this thread: 0