Armour- Mtbr.com

Thread: Armour

Mar 2004

Armor

Just got the Rockgardn Flak Jacket in, and everything fits great except around the elbow and forearms. I feel like the plastic will slide out of place easily and leave my elbows exposed. At this price, I don't want to find out the hard way.

I was looking at Azonics upper armor, and it appears to have many extra elastic straps around that area and in the shoulders to allow for retention and adjustment. Does anybody have any experience or opinions about that armour or the problems I see with the Rockgardn jacket?

I have the same issue with the Rockgardn AirFrame knee/shin guards, as they appear they will easily slide sideways and don't protect the edges of my knees. They all get good reviews, but I believe I shouldn't have safety or fit concerns in the first few minutes of wearing something at home. As it stands now, I'm about to send it all back and start over with another brand like Roach, Dainese and Azonic.

I'm also sending back the CYA shorts and looking more towards the Crash Pads brand. The RG pads don't seem to protect my hip all that well. Again, great reviews but big concerns for me. I was very surprised.

Your opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited by magicmirror; 06-08-2004 at 06:21 PM.

May 2004
    I've heard really good things about the Flak Jacket. Are you sure that you adjusted everything properly? I also heard that the sizing is important. Do you have an odd bodly build? I ordered my Flak Jacket and AirFrame knee/shin gaurds as well. I'm hoping everything fits well. I'm confident that it will be adjustable enough to fit properly. Do a search or check out the reviews. Did you order the appropriate size based on your measurements? Good luck.

Mar 2004

Tried various sizes

Yes, I ordered two different size jackets and two different size shin guards just to compare. I have adjusted everything, but still dont' feel they fit me properly.

Am I an odd shape? The answer is relative, but I am a taller thinner build - 6'2" 180lbs., 33" waist. The medium jacket fit me well all over except for the arm guards.

The quality and such of the jacket is good, and I feel it offers excellent protection in the back and shoulders. I would have liked a bit more protection directly over my sternum. The biggest problem in my case was the elbows and arms, where some extra straps would allow those pads to be better secured over the elbow and prevent any anticpitated slipping off during a crash. I noticed one other reviewer commented on the same issue, however he said his do stay in place. I personally think an extra strap and/or a elbow cap that had more of a bowl shape to hug the elbow would be much better. My last complaint is the adjusting straps don't have enough velcro to allow cinching them down tightly.

As far as they leg guards, they fit well, but I plan to order the Roach instead, as they afford more protection on the side of the knee cap. On the Rockgardn, the cap covers the front part of the knee, and the sides are only covered by soft padding. Protection on the side is a personal desire I had for the product, and I also anticipate the shape of the cup on the Roach guards will allow it to stay in place better in the event of a slide.

I used only Dainese equipment while road racing motorcycles, and in numerous falls at high speed I was lucky to never be hurt badly. During my last crash, the corner workers said they were very surprised to see me get up from the 90+ mph crash I was a part of, and they attributed my walking away to the investment I made in high end safety equipment - Dainese. That said, I think I'm going to go back to what I've always been happy with and know works. I never regretted any money spent on Dainese and their gear was always very enjoyable to wear.

The Rockgardn jacket is a great value for the money to relative to the competition, however I still believed it should be perfect (arms) for $180. It's not worth $10 to me if the pads slide around and cause me to get hurt, but I do recommend you try it out as it may fit you or others quite well. I've found that sometimes certain manufacturers' equipment just doesn't work for certain people, and that might be the case for Rockgardn and me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmirror

I'm also sending back the CYA shorts and looking more towards the Crash Pads brand. The RG pads don't seem to protect my hip all that well. Again, great reviews but big concerns for me. I was very surprised.

Your opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    I have the Crash Pads & the 661 Bomber shorts - I like both - although the Crash Pads are pretty warm & the Bomber shorts lack a chamois - if you want a chamois - get the Crash - if you want light & airy with good hip and tailbone protection - get the 661's - if you want the 661's but want ADDITIONAL hip protection - get the Hoots Vorpal shorts (they look just like the 661's, but have an additional hard-shell piece [removable] on the hips)

http://www.hootsgear.com/armor_goods.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have the flackjacket and have never had one single problem with it moving while riding or crashing. The elbow and forarm fit well although I concur that when I first put it on it felt wierd like it didn't fit right. Same with the shoulders. Although after fitting the shoulder straps and the forarm strap and riding a bit, everything feels great and has offered fantastic protection on some gnarly falls. Thats just my experience though yours may differ.