The arm, this time...- Mtbr.com
    Now with More Wood

The arm, this time...

Well, damned if I haven't broken something again. The humerus, this time, spiral fracture. It was the stupidest crash ever as well...impossible to explain, suffice it to say that I was just out trail riding, on the warm up run, picked the wrong line through some big rocks, almost stopped the bike, decided to roll on, stopped dead on a rock, ended up starting to go over the bars, and the bone broke while resisting the fall - way before impact with the ground. Yeah, really - I even heard it breaking (not a nice sound!). It just kind of folded up, and down I went like a sack of potatoes. I don't think it would be possible to re-enact this scenario even if you tried. I have the strangest feeling that I might have been riding with a hairline crack or something, had a big crash on that arm a couple of weeks back, it wasn't quite feeling right yet...dunno, I can't really explain what happened otherwise. It's not like I'm 75 or anything...

So, here we are again, looking at a couple of months recovery time most probably - sucks the big one, we are just coming up on the best part of the year for riding here. Hate it when this happens...

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    It just kind of folded up
    I flinched when I read that.

Heal fast.

Slap happy crappiness
    Sucks bro, healing vibes.
    But to get this straight. Your arm broke just resisting going OTB? As in you pushed back against your bars and snap? That might be one of the grosser mental images ive ever had.
    Sounds like you need calcium.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Slap happy crappiness
    Opps: double post.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by NWS
    I flinched when I read that.

Heal fast.
    I admit to doing some flinching of my own when it happened...

Thanks man.

Moose Member
    That sound uuber gnar. I have resisted going otb so many times. It's scary to think that could happen pretty much anytime.

"it's not like I'm 75 or anything..." that made me chuckle.

Heal fast. Sorry to hear bout your arm.

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by DHgnaR
    Sucks bro, healing vibes.
    But to get this straight. Your arm broke just resisting going OTB? As in you pushed back against your bars and snap? That might be one of the grosser mental images ive ever had.
    Sounds like you need calcium.
    Well, it was a litte more....erm...complicated. Picture going OTB, your wheel is kinda stuck on a rock, then it moves a bit forward...you are sort of horizontal, face down, resiting the bars with your arms pushing upwards/forwards, not straight down on the bars. Then the wheel gets caught again (second rock), dead stop, you have all your weight on the arm, still in a perpendicular direction, not pushing straight. It just gave, folded in towards my chest/stomach area. At first I thought I had dislocated the shoulder, it seemed much more logical given how it happened, especially since I have had shoulder issues before, and 2 weeks ago, I took a big crash that left me hurting in that shoulder. Turns out not...just broke a bone. I'm thinking hairline crack that was already there...I was in some discomfort already, thinking it was the shoulder again...but maybe not.

I get lots of calcium...at least I think I do. Milk and cornflakes every morning, cheese, yoghurts, that sort of stuff. I dunno...just one of those things I think...

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey
    That sound uuber gnar. I have resisted going otb so many times. It's scary to think that could happen pretty much anytime.

"it's not like I'm 75 or anything..." that made me chuckle.

Heal fast. Sorry to hear bout your arm.
    Thanks Moose. Like I said, pretty freak thing - it would be hard to "manage" to do it again...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    hey, good luck
    Heal fast!!
    :thumbsup:
    ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Sh*t Iceman! Sorry to hear that bro. Not nice to find these news after been away from the forums for a while.

Did you have surgery or just a cast? Hope you heal fast!!

Im a Cowboy
    Ouch..............................speedy recovery, mate
    DON'T TELL ME I'M STILL ON THAT FECKIN' ISLAND! ....

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by iguanabartola
    Sh*t Iceman! Sorry to hear that bro. Not nice to find these news after been away from the forums for a while.

Did you have surgery or just a cast? Hope you heal fast!!
    Yeah, $hit happens...

Looks like no surgery required, "just" a cast. The worst part now is preparing for how to spend 2+ months looking at the bike just sitting there...but, from experience, that time will come to pass as well...always does...

thanks for da vibez...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    i broke my arm 2 weeks ago and the doctor said i couldn't move the arm in 1 month,but i didin't resist after 2 days i was riding with 1 hand lol and dont worry it heals fast

and for the grammar guys im 13 and inglish is not my first language

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058
    The worst part now is preparing for how to spend 2+ months looking at the bike just sitting there...but, from experience, that time will come to pass as well...always does...
    At least it happened towards the end of the season. Heal up man.

mtbr member
    Just got my cast off from breaking it about 5 weeks ago and have been able to get back riding almost 100% if I wear a splint. Just take care of it really well for the first couple of weeks (I opted for the full arm cast for the first phase to ensure I would have minimal risk of a re-break) and then slowly ease back into doing things you normally would to keep up muscle strength.

The only advice that I have to you is to make absolutely sure you get a Gore-tex lined cast. If you don't, you will be absolutely hating life. If your insurance doesn't cover it, pay for it out of pocket. You won't regret it.

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by dowst
    Just got my cast off from breaking it about 5 weeks ago and have been able to get back riding almost 100% if I wear a splint. Just take care of it really well for the first couple of weeks (I opted for the full arm cast for the first phase to ensure I would have minimal risk of a re-break) and then slowly ease back into doing things you normally would to keep up muscle strength.

The only advice that I have to you is to make absolutely sure you get a Gore-tex lined cast. If you don't, you will be absolutely hating life. If your insurance doesn't cover it, pay for it out of pocket. You won't regret it.
    That sounds encouraging, 5 weeks, that's pretty quick. I'll hope for the best too...

What kind of splint? What bone did you break?

As for GoreTex...I can see why you'd want that, but I wasn't really given much choice in the matter. We have universal coverage here, so it's not a question of money...I just don't think they use the stuff...(at least not in ER). I have the first check up in a week, we'll see what they say then, maybe I'll get it recast.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i broke my humerus on a medium-speed fall that was pretty minor...i was really surprised that it broke. road out 8 miles with one-armed steering on a very rocky socal trail.

the bone itself healed very quickly...4 weeks. however, in my case, the ligament damage was the issue, and took months and months of rehab to become 100% again.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Yeah, $hit happens...

Looks like no surgery required, "just" a cast. The worst part now is preparing for how to spend 2+ months looking at the bike just sitting there...but, from experience, that time will come to pass as well...always does...

thanks for da vibez...

it's been 2 months since I tore my acl and my surgery isn't till november.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    hmm need to take more calcium + vit D. you dont have osteoporosis do you?

mtbr member
    A female friend of mine once broke her humerus the same way....also called it a spiral break. She was arm wrestling after doing some serious drinking at a party and all those present heard the wicked, sickening "snap." It is a horrifying sound! They chalked it up to just a strange angle of force/torque on the upper arm....no calcium deficiency, etc.

Heal fast man.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    get well soon Johan keep it up with the awsome trails

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor Lord of Thunder
    A female friend of mine once broke her humerus the same way....also called it a spiral break. She was arm wrestling after doing some serious drinking at a party and all those present heard the wicked, sickening "snap." It is a horrifying sound! They chalked it up to just a strange angle of force/torque on the upper arm....no calcium deficiency, etc.

Heal fast man.
    Yeah, that's funny, I did a search on recovery from a broken humerus, I ended up on this bodybuilding site where I found a 10+ page thread full of people who broke it armwresting. Including lots of bodybuilding girls, who invariably broke theirs armwrestling guys...
    The amount of extra food supplements they all came up with to heal faster was quite incredible. As well as a couple of dudes who were already back to doing barbell curls with "only small" weights with the arm still broken, basically, in order not to lose too much time and muscle mass...it was a good laugh. Bodybuilding forums make Pinkbike look like a Mensa chatroom...

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

No good That's a drag.....

Well, damned if I haven't broken something again.....Hate it when this happens...
    Hey Mr. Ice,

I知 very sorry to hear of your injury and wish you the quickest and most complete recovery possible! I知 back almost 100% from my broken femur but work and workouts have kept me off the bike except for some trail riding for exercise. I know with your commitment to fly you値l do whatever is necessary to heal from this and get back to doing what you love!

Take care, heal well!!!

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

the test dummy
    bummer get well soon man
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    That sounds encouraging, 5 weeks, that's pretty quick. I'll hope for the best too...

What kind of splint? What bone did you break?

As for GoreTex...I can see why you'd want that, but I wasn't really given much choice in the matter. We have universal coverage here, so it's not a question of money...I just don't think they use the stuff...(at least not in ER). I have the first check up in a week, we'll see what they say then, maybe I'll get it recast.
    Broke my radius in three places, after getting the cast the doctor gave me a support brace/splint to wear as a transitional thing, works well for riding.

Seriously though, if you have to order that Goretex liner yourself online and have them use then do that. My first cast was a cotton liner and it was just ridiculous. The Goretex makes like 10,000X easier and allows you to carry out your life with minimal drama. Since they'll have to take new pictures of it your arm will almost certainly be getting a recast. Make sure it's Goretex.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I broke my right fore arm once. Both bones cleanly. I ended up with a cast up past my elbow to my bicep. I had a cotton liner for the cast. It was the sweatiest, most disgusting thing I've ever had to wear. It smelled so bad after I got it taken off that I swore to never do that again! (non riding related injury) Nothing like taking a shower with a bread bag over my arm...(and not getting all the crumbs out of it...)

heal up man!!!

Glad to Be Alive
    healing vibes

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by dowst
    Broke my radius in three places, after getting the cast the doctor gave me a support brace/splint to wear as a transitional thing, works well for riding.

Seriously though, if you have to order that Goretex liner yourself online and have them use then do that. My first cast was a cotton liner and it was just ridiculous. The Goretex makes like 10,000X easier and allows you to carry out your life with minimal drama. Since they'll have to take new pictures of it your arm will almost certainly be getting a recast. Make sure it's Goretex.
    Wow, cool doc, I like docs who don't just shout at you when you tell them you want to get back to doing stuff and can they help you with it. Most of my previous docs have been in the shouting category, sadly...

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelsnead
    Hey Mr. Ice,

I知 very sorry to hear of your injury and wish you the quickest and most complete recovery possible! I知 back almost 100% from my broken femur but work and workouts have kept me off the bike except for some trail riding for exercise. I know with your commitment to fly you値l do whatever is necessary to heal from this and get back to doing what you love!

Take care, heal well!!!

Michael
    Thanks Michael, good to hear that you are doing well too!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yeah, that's funny, I did a search on recovery from a broken humerus, I ended up on this bodybuilding site where I found a 10+ page thread full of people who broke it armwresting. Including lots of bodybuilding girls, who invariably broke theirs armwrestling guys...
    The amount of extra food supplements they all came up with to heal faster was quite incredible. As well as a couple of dudes who were already back to doing barbell curls with "only small" weights with the arm still broken, basically, in order not to lose too much time and muscle mass...it was a good laugh. Bodybuilding forums make Pinkbike look like a Mensa chatroom...
    Awesome description!

Now with More Wood

Update

Well, 6 weeks after the break, here is what my humerus looks like today...it would appear to be healing well. I've been without a cast for 2 weeks already, and I have been doing road rides to at least work on getting the legs back in shape.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the all clear to start the PT on the shoulder...it's really stiff and painful still (and lacking in strength, but that part I'm less worried about fixing...). I have really been leaving the shoulder alone (on doctor's orders) until now, but once PT gets underway, singletrack should follow shortly!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The arm, this time...-frontcomp.jpg  

FReak
    Iceman I think you should change your name to the Glassman. jk
    2010 Specialized Demo 8 II (Upgraded to II from I)
    2008 Specialized Enduro SL Expert

Now with More Wood
    PT kicked off in earnest this morning. The gauntlet has been thrown down. Everything in the shoulder hurts, but no major problems uncovered apparently - now it's just about putting in the effort to recover. Needless to say, that won't be a problem...

The Glassman
    Last edited by Iceman2058; 12-08-2010 at 02:46 AM.

mtbr member

Lucky!

I broke my humerous riding moto last September. Hitting a 4th gear step-up and some dumbass on a quad got freaked out and turned off track,taking my front wheel with him
    Went from 45 mph to 0 in about a foot.... Needless to say I was in bad shape. My humerous was in 3 pieces and at roughly 90 degrees. I was in a sling for about 1.5 months, untill they discovered it was not healing.
    Ended up getting a 10" titanium plate with 10 screws in there. Dr. gave me full work release for the 1st of the year as an automotive tech, but I was constantly "tearing" muscles around my elbow.
    Changed Docs and discovered that my arm had not healed at all, just held together with metal. 3 months of a bone stimulator and all healed up. 15 months later and it still bugs the crap out of me.
    Long story short, it could be a lot worse, and heal up quick.

mtbr member
    nicely done, wish i still had my xrays from compound fracturing my arm a few years ago, be glad for no surgery, rehab is a huge pain in the ass, but you get get some nice scars, and if youre lucky like me(sarcasm) you get some stainless steel accessories implanted into your body
    2008 Kona Caldera

"Today I saw my own son use a bicycle as a weapon....
    I seriously thought he was going to rape me"

Now with More Wood
    Since this thread popped back up, here's a little update: 2 weeks into rehab, slowly getting shoulder mobility back. It's all about millimeters and degrees of flex...you get a little back each time you work it, then go backwards again (or so it feels) during the night...
    Still feels like a long way to go until full strength, but I am back to riding XC, so there's that, at least. I can't really bunny hop (completely the wrong movement right now), rockgardens are no good because I lack the strength to push the bars forward and hold on, and I lack the shoulder extension necessary to deal with drops, so that pretty much ruled out any shenanigans...for now...
    I am able to dig though, so the trails are getting some TLC out of it. Digging is great PT (if you are able to...), and also therapeutic to at least be out on the trails...

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    been there man. it always sux to hear about injurys. my advice is not to push the recovery too hard. i ended up doin that and bought myself a 2nd opperation and another year of recovery. well, its not quite that straight forward but the idea is easier to explain this way without gettin long winded. dbl compound and massive tissue loss back in 12/95 but ive learned how to work around it and now ride buffer stuff than before by a long shot. some before and after:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Ouch!!! ^^^

Now with More Wood
    Yeah, Cactuscorn - ouch!!! ^^^

Did they have the metal out or are you still hauling that around?

after swappin docs due to some drama with the whole thing, i was told id be better off leavin the plates in. he said my arm was no longer in stock config and cuttin it open a 3rd time might produce a poor result. they just dont know where things are now compared to where they should be and the muscle loss may now count on the plates for needed support. im cool with it cuz i can brag i have more ti in my arm than on most of my bikes. the 1st bent short plate they removed is now on my keychain as a daily reminder to ride within my limits. it took 3 years to feel mostly right again and another 3 to learn how to manipulate my body to do most of the things i did before the crash. some are outta the question. i wish you better results.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Shred...it's the new drug
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    been there man. it always sux to hear about injurys. my advice is not to push the recovery too hard. i ended up doin that and bought myself a 2nd opperation and another year of recovery. well, its not quite that straight forward but the idea is easier to explain this way without gettin long winded. dbl compound and massive tissue loss back in 12/95 but ive learned how to work around it and now ride buffer stuff than before by a long shot. some before and after:
    I didn't know we were plate brothers??? we could've compared scars a couple weeks ago. I broke both my forearm bones when I was 16 and still have the plates to this day. They get a little sore when the weather changes but other than that I don't even know they are there....bionic men rule!!

ill be back on the 24th. may have time to ride on the 25th and/or 29th if you yahoos are gonna be there. now ya know why i wear so much armor. the long road to recovery just isnt worth lookin cool
    No, I'm NOT back!

i be lurkin
    Well, 6 weeks after the break, here is what my humerus looks like today...it would appear to be healing well. I've been without a cast for 2 weeks already, and I have been doing road rides to at least work on getting the legs back in shape.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the all clear to start the PT on the shoulder...it's really stiff and painful still (and lacking in strength, but that part I'm less worried about fixing...). I have really been leaving the shoulder alone (on doctor's orders) until now, but once PT gets underway, singletrack should follow shortly!
    ouch do u need plates...
    me: "mom dont ride yer brakes "mom: "shut up"

mtbr member
    heal up mr glassman.

Now with More Wood

In the recovery restaurant...

...this was on the menu today. Getting some air for the first time in 2.5 months felt good!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The arm, this time...-trail-ahead.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    stay tuned. don't over kill.
    ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    take the right line
    ride.

mtbr member
    take the straight line, then jump into the right line, then you'll have em both ; )

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by 8664
    stay tuned. don't over kill.
    Good advice for sure. I am *trying* not to overdo it...

good to see yer back on. even a tame ride feels great huh?
    No, I'm NOT back!

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    good to see yer back on. even a tame ride feels great huh?
    For sure! I go crazy when I can't ride...

Now with More Wood
    Today's installment in the recovery journal. Had a nice Xmas morning ride...

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/18146468?portrait=0&amp;color=c9ff23" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/18146468">A few berms and jumps...</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user2474192">iceman2058</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

i be lurkin
    lol i just watched that on vimeo
    me: "mom dont ride yer brakes "mom: "shut up"

Now with More Wood

Update - at the races

3.5 months after the injury, I'm back to racing DH again. Still holding back, I really lack strength in the arm/shoulder area, and ROM is pretty $hitty still, but I'm able to pretty much hit what I want (although I'm riding well within my limits obviously...). Strengthwise I can do sets of pushups again for example, but what really holds me back is shoulder joint stiffness. Lot's of PT still ahead...this one seems to have a longer recovery period for sure.
    Here's a quick pic from this weekend's race (I was slow but had fun!):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The arm, this time...-drop-comp.jpg  

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    3.5 months after the injury, I'm back to racing DH again. Still holding back, I really lack strength in the arm/shoulder area, and ROM is pretty $hitty still, but I'm able to pretty much hit what I want (although I'm riding well within my limits obviously...). Strengthwise I can do sets of pushups again for example, but what really holds me back is shoulder joint stiffness. Lot's of PT still ahead...this one seems to have a longer recovery period for sure.
    Here's a quick pic from this weekend's race (I was slow but had fun!):
    Hey Mr. Iceman,

Good on Ya! Keep up the great work and it will all come back w/time!! You look good in the airand that痴 all that really counts!!!

On a separate note my recovery is really pretty complete except for some tightness after trail running. However, my riding schedule got blindsided by new job responsibilities, home improvement projects and a new puppy. I can稚 complain because just having a job here in the States is not to be sneezed at. Also I知 back to trail running with the dogs and I never thought that would be on the menu again.

Thanks, again, for sharing all the inspirational photos. My wife and I are hoping to be able to do season passes again at Northstar this year and if we can pull it off the circle will be closed.

Take care,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

Members who have read this thread: 0