apparently not juicy 7 weird cracking noise- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

apparently not juicy 7 weird cracking noise

Hi

My juicy's have been doing this weird noise where just as I finish coming to a stop, there is a miniscule jump (might be my imagination), and a little cracking noise (definately not my imagination). It pretty much happens only in the front, but does it alot of the time. I am thinking that it feels almost as though the pads jump forward a little bit, but that seems unlikely. I am overly picky about noises that my bikes make, so lots of little things bother me. Anyone else had this, or have an idea what it would be? (Could it be the forks creaking, or some other part?)

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by igotbanned; 02-22-2008 at 06:23 PM.
    Gnar Cal!

N* Bomber Crew
    What kind of rotors are you using? I ran Polygon Rotors with my Juicy 7's and after hard stops on my Front Brake it felt like the creaked a little bit. (Felt notchy, like 1 or 2 notches when I come to a slow stop).

This is the Shuddering/Pulsating problem that the Polygon Rotors have.

What kind of rotors do you run with the Juicy 7's? We might be able to help you out.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    uhh...i dont know what their name is, but heres a picture....front brake https://s245.photobucket.com/albums/...anyousuck2.jpg

and I don't feel "like 1 or 2 notches" but rather a tiny tiny bit of movement, and a crack noise. But yes, I notice it when I come to a slow stop.
    Gnar Cal!

P-51 Crew Chief #38
    It is just the pads sliding through the slots on the rotor. No biggy
    Balls to the wall until you see god. Turn Left!

mtbr member
    wait, why would it crack just as I come to a stop though?

And, why would that make a cracking noise?
    Gnar Cal!

EastBaySteez
    check your bolts? mabye one of them isnt tight. It happened to me a few weeks ago. I got a popping noise when I came to a stop.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    The pads are kinda loose in my calipers so sometimes I can hear them slide front to back in the caliper. Maybe that's what you're hearing?
    We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace -Michael Franti

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    check your bolts? mabye one of them isnt tight. It happened to me a few weeks ago. I got a popping noise when I came to a stop.
    Also check your front hub bearings. They may be worn out, but its not likely. Double check your drop outs and make sure they are snug and tight. (I see you have a 08 66, so triple check).

Not too sure what's going on here...

I post too much.
    Could also be a loose headset, have you checked for that?

mtbr member
    everything is tight and the wheelset's new, so its not any of those.

kuksul08...when you hear them slide, is it a cracking noise, or just a sliding noise?

DHtahoe....can you elaborate on what you said

Thanks everyone

edit...xslwill are you out there
    Gnar Cal!

Living the High Life
    I believe my Avids do the same thing, I've been told its the rotors. I was going to try some Hayes rotors once the snow melts and see what happens.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by igotbanned
    everything is tight and the wheelset's new, so its not any of those.

kuksul08...when you hear them slide, is it a cracking noise, or just a sliding noise?

DHtahoe....can you elaborate on what you said

Thanks everyone

edit...xslwill are you out there
    Just because the wheels are new does not mean that the bearings are good or that the hubs don't need to be adjusted.

I don't know what you are trying to describe. Check the tightness of all mounting hardware. Make sure the caliper is centered correctly. Make sure that there is no contact between the caliper body itself and the rotor, or the caliper body and the spokes. Check for contact with the pad tabs/pad retainer/h-spring. Make sure the pad retainer clip and h-spring are not missing.

Bike Ninja |||
    i'm pretty sure it's just your pads moving in your caliper....
    There is enough pressure on the pads to make the pad side stick to the rotor, however not enough to have the metal backing plate stay in place on the piston. so there is just a tiny tiny movement of the pads. furthermore that creaking cracking noise is either the pad contacting the inside of the caliper, or the pads 'breaking free' of their grab on the rotor. it's hard to explain, but i do believe that is what you're hearing... and if that is the case then it's completely normal.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by chooofoojoo
    i'm pretty sure it's just your pads moving in your caliper....
    There is enough pressure on the pads to make the pad side stick to the rotor, however not enough to have the metal backing plate stay in place on the piston. so there is just a tiny tiny movement of the pads. furthermore that creaking cracking noise is either the pad contacting the inside of the caliper, or the pads 'breaking free' of their grab on the rotor. it's hard to explain, but i do believe that is what you're hearing... and if that is the case then it's completely normal.
    The H-spring should help to keep the pads against the pistons though.

If it's just a bit of "creaking" I'm inclined to believe what chooofoojoo is saying is true. My car brakes make kind of a grinding noise if I'm at a complete stop but let off the pedal enough to let it roll forward without the pad fully away from the rotor.

mtbr member
    well....its not a creaking, its a cracking, and is just as I finish stopping. Hopefully tommorow, I will pull it all apart, and look around. Also, I think I will swap brakes and wheels and see if it is the fork.

A little while back, I ate it, and really f**ked up the front brake. I bent the lever around backwards, bent the plunger shaft over sideways, bent the pin the lever rests on way over, bent the bolts attaching the brake to the bar sideways, bent open the casting, and pushed the casting into the pad contact adjuster so that it was frozen. To (hopefully) save some cash, I just clamped the casting back into place, freed up the pad contact, got new pins, bolts and lever, and rebuilt it. Now though, I just found working on it that when I stand the bike vertically, I lose 100% all my braking power. When I set it back down, I just pump a little, and it all comes back. I'm thinking a whole lot of air got in. Whats up with this...should I just grab a whole new brake?...it's kinda screwed anyways.

But the cracking noise was happening before I rebuilt it. Again...it was happening before I rebuilt it. One more time...the cracking was before this too.
    Gnar Cal!

My arm hurts a little
    The sound of a dying turkey is normal w/7's.. Cracking??? Did that happen before you rebuilt them?? If they stop you they work IMO.
    Hardtail downhill
    https://youtu.be/sXhWDoz7_CM
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by #1ORBUST
    The sound of a dying turkey is normal w/7's.. Cracking??? If they stop you they work IMO.
    That's what I described the shuddering problem as...running over a bunch of dying zombie turkeys.

You know, as much as I complain about the Polygon Ninja Rotors, they're actually quite funny, no other rotor will give you a sound that has limitless descriptions.

Way to go Avid.

StraightOuttaCompton
    it sounds to me that your rotor is loose, check the bolts, and also check the mounting hardware on the caliper too.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

Meh.
    well....its not a creaking, its a cracking, and is just as I finish stopping. Hopefully tommorow, I will pull it all apart, and look around. Also, I think I will swap brakes and wheels and see if it is the fork.

A little while back, I ate it, and really f**ked up the front brake. I bent the lever around backwards, bent the plunger shaft over sideways, bent the pin the lever rests on way over, bent the bolts attaching the brake to the bar sideways, bent open the casting, and pushed the casting into the pad contact adjuster so that it was frozen. To (hopefully) save some cash, I just clamped the casting back into place, freed up the pad contact, got new pins, bolts and lever, and rebuilt it. Now though, I just found working on it that when I stand the bike vertically, I lose 100% all my braking power. When I set it back down, I just pump a little, and it all comes back. I'm thinking a whole lot of air got in. Whats up with this...should I just grab a whole new brake?...it's kinda screwed anyways.

But the cracking noise was happening before I rebuilt it. Again...it was happening before I rebuilt it. One more time...the cracking was before this too.
    That's air.

General Rabble-Rouser
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    That's air.

After reading this, I'm pretty sure it's air too. We've got two sets of factory bled Avid brakes, and they both make a click in the levers. Finally got around to bleeding them, and to absolutely no ones surprise. No clicks or pops anymore.

mtbr member
    The one part on a DH bike that should be working absolutely flawlessly is your brake system. Seriously, if there seems to be a problem with them, and you are unable to solve it yourself, just swallow your pride and bring it in to a shop and have it checked out by the professionals. We don't want to hear on the news that you were killed after hitting a tree at mach 5 because your brakes all of a sudden stopped working.

To be honest, I don't think that anyone on here can accurately diagnose your problem over the internet. A "cracking" noise covers a pretty broad spectrum, and could be nothing serious, or an accident waiting to happen.

Being "Pretty sure" about brakes doesn't cut it when you're on a machine that takes you to 40mph on a trail thats a foot and a half wide, with trees just that distance away from you on both sides.

Just my $0.02

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Interesting

Quick check for you to see if the pad slot on the caliper body is a bit oversized and allowing the pad to rock back & forth a bit much.

1. Sit on the bike
    2. Grab a handful of brake
    3. Rock back & forth (firmly) & listen for the cracking

You might just be hearing the click of the pad backing plate hitting on the side of the pad slot. Not a huge deal, but it can be a definite nuisance. If you get the noise doing this check you have two options, either live with it or have your shop call up SRAM and warranty the caliper for one with a properly machined pad slot.
    You are not what you own.

mtbr member
    hmmm....dowst does seem a bit correct that "pretty sure" shouldn't be used in compliance with the working-ness of brakes(especially front brake). I guess I should bleed them, right? But considering the state of my brakes, as told in that story, should I try to get a new everything-from-the-calipers-up? Can I get that?

Also, one more time, yes it was doing the cracking noise before i rebuilt it.
    Gnar Cal!

General Rabble-Rouser
    hmmm....dowst does seem a bit correct that "pretty sure" shouldn't be used in compliance with the working-ness of brakes(especially front brake). I guess I should bleed them, right? But considering the state of my brakes, as told in that story, should I try to get a new everything-from-the-calipers-up? Can I get that?

The simplest and cheapest step in diagnosing the problem is bleeding them properly with the avid bleed kit. if the sound is coming from the lever, and it's anything like the one mine made, it was just air.

Meh.

Yup. You can have your shop order just a new lever/MC assy. Or just a new caliper.

mtbr member
    alright, well...i just swapped brakes and wheelset between my vagrant, and this, and it is not the brakes. The noise is still there when it is different hoops and hayes 9 brakes. I guess I will swap forks, to see if it is the 66's. That is my next best guess as to what it is.
    One question....you know the little cup(headset piece) that you knock onto the steerer tube. Will it matter if I switch forks, and thereby that ring, and put the fork on a different headset?....like when I switch the two forks, and put them on different headsets.
    Gnar Cal!

Meh.
    alright, well...i just swapped brakes and wheelset between my vagrant, and this, and it is not the brakes. The noise is still there when it is different hoops and hayes 9 brakes. I guess I will swap forks, to see if it is the 66's. That is my next best guess as to what it is.
    One question....you know the little cup(headset piece) that you knock onto the steerer tube. Will it matter if I switch forks, and thereby that ring, and put the fork on a different headset?....like when I switch the two forks, and put them on different headsets.
    The crown race is specific to the headset - or rather the size and taper of the bearings.

Check the headset for play, perhaps it needs to be adjusted.

mtbr member
    the headset has no play in it at all. Plus, the noise isn't clunky-ish as headsets tend to be when they are loose. If I pull the forks, and the race doesn't fit well in the other headset, how would you propose to try to find if the noise is coming from the fork?
    Gnar Cal!

mtbr member
    alright...fine...i was hoping to avoid that, cause its kinda a pain
    Gnar Cal!

Meh.
    Swap the race.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i had an 07 all mountain 1, and if i would lock up my front end to stoppie it made a crackling sound ... i ended up putting the shock on 2 different frames, with 2 different brakesets and 2 different front wheels, but couldn't get the crackling to go away ... called zocchi, they said send it in ... zocchi replaced the crown and the crackling went away

mtbr member
    ^^^well, you beat me to it....ummmm......so its nice out now, and i was again trying to figure out what makes the noise.. With the bike standing vertically, and by pushing/pulling on the fork with it still in the bike, it makes the cracking noise. It takes quite a bit of pressure, but surely not more than riding puts on it. It is pretty much surely coming out of the crown where it meets the stantions.....definitely not headset, wheelset, or axle. I tried calling, but they were closed, so hopefully I will reach them tommorow. I guess now I get to find out what customer service is like.
    Gnar Cal!

SS FR HT
    Quote Originally Posted by Karupshun
    After reading this, I'm pretty sure it's air too. We've got two sets of factory bled Avid brakes, and they both make a click in the levers. Finally got around to bleeding them, and to absolutely no ones surprise. No clicks or pops anymore.

my friends juicy 7's made a crackling noice after bleeding then he rebled with no problems after except that was his three set of 7's.....i like my stokers....no problems at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Formerbmx37
    so if a put a card in my spokes could i trick people in to thinking my bike is good

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    ^^^well, you beat me to it....ummmm......so its nice out now, and i was again trying to figure out what makes the noise.. With the bike standing vertically, and by pushing/pulling on the fork with it still in the bike, it makes the cracking noise. It takes quite a bit of pressure, but surely not more than riding puts on it. It is pretty much surely coming out of the crown where it meets the stantions.....definitely not headset, wheelset, or axle. I tried calling, but they were closed, so hopefully I will reach them tommorow. I guess now I get to find out what customer service is like.
    I used to have that kind of creaking (or cracking) problem. The noise comes from the hub spacers (at each end of the hub) that were slightly moving up and down, back and forth on the axle and were rubbing against the fork or rubbing against the bearing inside the hub. To check that, you could apply a very small amount of grease on the spacers, where it touch the fork or the bearing inside the hub. hope it will help you.

mtbr member
    ^^^thanks dude, but no, its the fork (more specifically the crown). I am sending it to Marzocchi for warranty tomorrow.
    Gnar Cal!

Peace Coast Style
    Okey dokey. I've gone through the same kind of problem and I'm also investigating. But they're different brakes, shouldn't be a huge difference because I was running Avid Rotors. I got Hayes Nines, used to be on 6" Polygon rotors. I would get occasional creaks, in hard stopping, and even a watery sound when I was modulating them. I've switched around a bit, I threw on some Formula Oro 7" rotors and the problem went away for a while. But now, I've found it's a great number of things that do it. Sometimes, it's a rotor bolt, sometimes just cleaning the area between the rotor and hub face with Simple Green and a cloth work. I'm gonna bleed them because now I can feel a creaky click in the lever as well as hear it through out the braking system. And sometimes it's my hubs having play. Heck, I've even heard it from my headset creaking in hard breaking.

So if you try all of the following and have no luck, then bear with me:
    -Loosening and re-tightning all rotor bolts
    -Taking your rotor off and cleaning the rotor as well as the face of the hub
    -Check the caliper mounting bolts
    -Check your hub
    -Keep your headset in shape and preloaded to the right amount
    -Check your fork dropouts (hasn't happened to me but I've heard of it)
    -If you can, rebleed your brakes or have your shop do it for you

That's just about all I can think of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14
    Ever slip a pedal and slam into the seat? That little thing would disappear until I later got to the ER.

Peace Coast Style
    Oops, sorry, didn't see that you had solved the problem. I also questioned it being my fork. I'm still considering that if the rebleed doesn't work. Let me know how your situation works out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14
    Ever slip a pedal and slam into the seat? That little thing would disappear until I later got to the ER.

mtbr member
    UPDATE:

well, after 3 weeks, I have got my fork back from Zoke. They gave me new stantions, crown and steerer, and new oil. I got it out for a quick spin, and so far, all good. The cracking noise is gone, and hopefully it will stay that way. So, thats it.
    Gnar Cal!

mtbr member
    UPDATE #2...

The fork worked well for 3-ish months, no creaking of any sort when I got it back from warranty, so it definately was the fork that was making noise. Got it out for a nice ucsc ride yesterday, (hit up sweetness jumps, turpens trail(evans), sweetness trail, sick and twisted, and magic carpet).

In 3 months, I had no creaking at all. Right before that ride, it seemed to be maybe, possibly creaking. Finish that ride, and *creak, creak, creak*. The exact same noise came back from practically naught, to full creaking in 1 ride.

It is the same noise, from the same motions that can cause it. I am so pissed. Obviously it is the fork(noise went away entirely when it got warrantied, and happens no matter what frame/headset/wheelset/brake system it is on. And, it can creak when it is off the bike entirely.)So definately it is the fork.

So....in for warranty again, as soon as I can reach Zoke.

Is it possible to trade for an 888 or something. I am getting really fed up with this. *sigh* damn it.
    Gnar Cal!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    UPDATE #2...

The fork worked well for 3-ish months, no creaking of any sort when I got it back from warranty, so it definately was the fork that was making noise. Got it out for a nice ucsc ride yesterday, (hit up sweetness jumps, turpens trail(evans), sweetness trail, sick and twisted, and magic carpet).

In 3 months, I had no creaking at all. Right before that ride, it seemed to be maybe, possibly creaking. Finish that ride, and *creak, creak, creak*. The exact same noise came back from practically naught, to full creaking in 1 ride.

It is the same noise, from the same motions that can cause it. I am so pissed. Obviously it is the fork(noise went away entirely when it got warrantied, and happens no matter what frame/headset/wheelset/brake system it is on. And, it can creak when it is off the bike entirely.)So definately it is the fork.

So....in for warranty again, as soon as I can reach Zoke.

Is it possible to trade for an 888 or something. I am getting really fed up with this. *sigh* damn it.
    You want to get rid of your fork for a slight noise? Most forks I have will make a creaking noise if I put the front brake on and transfer my weight from the rear to the front, including my 888RC.

I gotta pee
    My codes were making the same sound, i just went through and tightened all the caliper bolts and re-tightened the rotor bolts and it went away. Nothing was loose but it worked

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jawdrop on hardtail
    You want to get rid of your fork for a slight noise? Most forks I have will make a creaking noise if I put the front brake on and transfer my weight from the rear to the front, including my 888RC.
    Ummm....no. It is not just a slight creaking noise. It is a really big creaking noise. Zoke would not have given me a new steerer, crown, and stantions if the fork creaking was just a little thing. Every other fork I have ever been on before has not creaked (as in a crackling noise when I hit the brakes, and when I pull backwards with the front wheel on the ground), so I would have to say that forks should not make this noise.
    Gnar Cal!

mtbr member
    Here, I took a video of the noise a while back....just put it up on mpora.

http://video.mpora.com/watch/pF8iLbOSe/

As I have said before, it is definitely the fork. It was warranted for the exact same noise...and was fine for 3 months. And....I have swapped frame, headset, wheelset, brakes and the fork still does it no matter what.
    Gnar Cal!

moaaar shimz
    Yeah, that's definately the fork.

mtbr member
    Alrighty...fork came back today. Only 3 weeks....of sitting around pissed off at Marzcrappy. The noise is, once again, gone. Looks all dandy. New steerer tube, crown, stantions and oil....again.

I will (hopefully not have to) report back in 3 more months about whether its broken again.

Its really shitty though...the forks already super expensive, its cost 80 bucks in shipping to date, and i've gone through not 1, not 2, but 3 star nuts.

So msrp of $915 (through transition) + $90 of warranty shlt + off the bike for 6 weeks total = 1 loud, sloppy fork.

Great
    Gnar Cal!

Members who have read this thread: 0