Anyone use Strava?- Mtbr.com
    Moose Member

Anyone use Strava?

Its a pretty sick little app for both iPhone and android systems. Basically you just start it, ride your trail, stop it, and it tells you your average speed, top speed, distance, elevation gain/loss, average slope (grade %) and stuff like that. wow just like a normal garmin or other gps system right?

Heres the kicker. you can create segments, which is basically like making an official trail on their website. Then when you ride it again it will give you your time and stuff, and it has a leaderboard system so you can compare yourself with others... It will also tell you your personal best on these trails so you can work on improving your times on your home trails.

My friends in San Diego use it on their trails, so my friends are always posting stuff on facebook about how they moved up to #4 on a certain trail, or sometimes are #1. kinda like a friendly competition all the time.

Just thought I'd let you all know about this app. I really like it. BTW I am #1 on both trails here in Fallon (out of 1 total rider ) so if anyone wants to challenge me, bring it on.

I think it would be cool if people made these for northstar trails...

Heres some pics of what it looks like with my trails:

Anyone use Strava?-strava-1.jpg
    Anyone use Strava?-strava-2.jpg

And heres the power of it with bigger trails:
    Anyone use Strava?-strava-3.jpg

now, i have a quick question for anyone who may already use this, whats the best way to make a segment? I put the start of the trail just under the real start, and the end just before the real end, so there no problem with people stopping early or starting too far forward, stuff like that.

I have only had this for a week, and just learned about segments so I'm not that educated on this app yet, I just wanted to share it.

Moose Member
    So I just found out there are a bunch of northstar trails up already, and I joined the mtbr group.

Can livewire really be done in 4:30? Damn that's fast.

mtbr member
    Strava has been around for awhile. There is some controversy over how accurate phones are with GPS vs. say a garmin bike computer. I did a ride in Truckee with a friend using Strava on a Iphone and I had my Garmin 305, our stats were way different. The Garmin said we had about a 2000 vertical ft climb and the Strava said it was close to 4K, which would have put us well over 10,000 ft above sea level, I know we were only at about 7500 ft. We also downloaded the info to google earth and the map didnt even have us near the fireroad we road up. Mikey Silvestri did Livewire at 3:30 in the Livewire Classic last year, most of the Sport class racers were doing it in the 4:30-5:30 range.

mtbr member
    Thanks Moosey, just yesterday I was looking for something like this
    Do you feel lucky? do you, punk?- Dirty Harry

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    Mikey Silvestri did Livewire at 3:30 in the Livewire Classic last year, most of the Sport class racers were doing it in the 4:30-5:30 range.
    Mikey did it in 4:32.77........even with how fast Mikey is, he can't do it in 3:30! I do remember him winning the Pro category one year, and then beat his own time doing the course the same day...CHAINLESS!

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Definitely a cool tool to have. I use it just to keep track of my (ahem) "training."

I haven't had any accuracy issues comparing my phone to a Garmin 500, and I've heard about the 500's issues. The stats seem pretty close where I'm riding.

One of the more controversial elements of Strava is how you can track your progress on illegal trails, and how people are getting really competitive on multi-use trails and the dangers involved. Since it opens up the mentality that you should try and beat someones descent time, it could get dicy on heavy hiker days...

Good discussion about illegal trails here.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Well I guess my memory had failed me, I dont feel so bad for my 4:57 in the old guy Sport class.

mtbr member
    Its been around for a while. Its only as good as the GPS in your phone. You can see how inaccurate it is when the map contains the trails. I compared my android reading to my buddy’s garmin reading on the maps. The garmin is almost exactly on the trail while strava is way off.

Because of this inaccuracy you will also get much higher elevation readings as others reported. What happens is that the elevation is determined on the server (not on the phone) from the longitude and latitude of the point. If you are riding on a mountain side, then the points are all over the place, creating zigzag up and down the mountain alongside the trail. This up and down zigzag increases the total elevation gain. You can have elevation gains even if the trail is flat, as long as its on a side of a mountain.

This causes a chain effect on other readings, like power output etc. It makes you look much tougher than you really are

I got for the same ride 3400 feet elevation comparing to 2200 on my buddy's Garmin.

GPS on phones is also a battery eater, make sure the phone is 100% charged before you go riding, and turn off all apps that can be turned off.

Ideas Above My Station...
    Just started using it with a bunch of mates and set one leagues for certain trails. Not sure of accuracy as it differs slightly from device to device. But makes the trail riding competitive! Great app, especially considering its free!!!!
    Its All Downhill From Here....!

Downhill fan
    I just started using it a few weeks ago on my Droid and I really like it. I can use it to track all my workouts as well as the rides and my trainer bike (stationary bike) rides.
    I'm thinking about shreddin' it up right now!
    Giant Glory DH (custom)
    K2 Evo 4.0 FS XC (custom)

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Welcome to 2010 little moose guy.

Don't get too fired up, it doesn't work so well for short DH stuff, especially if there is tree cover. Also lacks accuracy if using a phone instead of real GPS like Garmin. Stop watch still wins if you want to race.

Please don't go all teenager-overdose-on-monster-energy and make a billion lame little segments.

Moose Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARider View Post
    Don't get too fired up, it doesn't work so well for short DH stuff, especially if there is tree cover. Also lacks accuracy if using a phone instead of real GPS like Garmin. Stop watch still wins if you want to race.

Please don't go all teenager-overdose-on-monster-energy and make a billion lame little segments.
    Hmm I went on a 5.5mi road ride that included some very tight loops, and I rerode some sections, and it was very accurate.

Please don't go all I-hate-teenagers-and-stereotype-them-all-as-obnoxious-and-dumb-and-they-create-a-billion-lame-little-segments okay? I have created 2, and they are both mine and my friends DH trails here in Fallon, Just so we can race and compare our innacurate times.

BTW i don't know or care when this came out, good for you, you've known about it since 2010. I just wanted to spread the work around about this, if someone had in 2010 I may have found out about it earlier too.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I like to use it to find trails when I'm somewhere I don't know as well. It is kinda cool to see post ride statistics also, granted the accuracy can be a little off.

I know one segment that's really short and steep, and somehow these guys are clearing it in 2-3 seconds at 70 mph...
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

Members who have read this thread: 0