Anyone running short cage derailleur's? Question....- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Kill that $hit!
    Reputation: MorphineAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    809

    Anyone running short cage derailleur's? Question....

    Right now I have an XT drivetrain (9 sp in the rear), but I'm thinking about using an Ultegra shortcage (9 sp) in the rear instead for more rock clearance. Does anyone know if this will be compatable w/ my current setup? I.e. would I need different shifers or cassette? Thanks.

    EDIT: Okay, I saw another post on this and I realized I had left out some importaint info. I'm only running one chainring up front. (38) w/ an MRP chainguide system. Maybe that's relavant info, maybe it's not, but I figured I'd add that. I'm still curious about the actual shifters working with that deralleur though. Thanks again......

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by MorphineAddict
    Right now I have an XT drivetrain (9 sp in the rear), but I'm thinking about using an Ultegra shortcage (9 sp) in the rear instead for more rock clearance. Does anyone know if this will be compatable w/ my current setup? I.e. would I need different shifers or cassette? Thanks.

    EDIT: Okay, I saw another post on this and I realized I had left out some importaint info. I'm only running one chainring up front. (38) w/ an MRP chainguide system. Maybe that's relavant info, maybe it's not, but I figured I'd add that. I'm still curious about the actual shifters working with that deralleur though. Thanks again......

    hey dude,

    i've been running an ultegra short cage (road) derailer on my dh bike for years. it works awesome, shorter cage for better clearance, stiffer spring for snappier shifts and way cheap.

    you want to run a different cassette though. pick up a nice road cassette or speed cassette(smaller gear ratio's) and it will shift cleaner than your mtn cassette(wider range of gear ratio's). you won't have those small gears though for climbing if it's a freeride bike. but for pure DH, i've found it to be a sick setup.

    basically a road de-railer works better with a road cassette. your 9 speed shifter will work fine with a 9 speed road derailer and 9 speed cassette and I currently run a SRAM Trigger shifter with the same ratio as the shimano.

    P"

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    637
    A friend used an Ultegra derailleur and it snapped off after a drop. Not sure why, but it did. Maybe they aren't built as beefy as mtn derailleurs?
    pay me

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by MD Bullit
    A friend used an Ultegra derailleur and it snapped off after a drop. Not sure why, but it did. Maybe they aren't built as beefy as mtn derailleurs?

    hm... it snapped after a drop? did he bash something hard(a rock maybe) on the landing? b/c any de-railer will snap. but i'm betting that the chain was too short and he took to many links out.

    if the chain is too short and the suspension goes through it's travel it will put too much load on the chain and snap will go the derailer. i seriously have ruined less short cages (road) derailers than the standard mtn or short cage mtn's.

    P"

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    637
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Winn
    hm... it snapped after a drop? did he bash something hard(a rock maybe) on the landing? b/c any de-railer will snap. but i'm betting that the chain was too short and he took to many links out.

    if the chain is too short and the suspension goes through it's travel it will put too much load on the chain and snap will go the derailer. i seriously have ruined less short cages (road) derailers than the standard mtn or short cage mtn's.

    P"
    No, his chain was the correct length. He had bottomed the bike out before with no bad results. I haven't had any problems with XTR mid cage derailleurs so it's all good.
    pay me

  6. #6
    Kill that $hit!
    Reputation: MorphineAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    809
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Winn
    hey dude,

    i've been running an ultegra short cage (road) derailer on my dh bike for years. it works awesome, shorter cage for better clearance, stiffer spring for snappier shifts and way cheap.

    you want to run a different cassette though. pick up a nice road cassette or speed cassette(smaller gear ratio's) and it will shift cleaner than your mtn cassette(wider range of gear ratio's). you won't have those small gears though for climbing if it's a freeride bike. but for pure DH, i've found it to be a sick setup.

    basically a road de-railer works better with a road cassette. your 9 speed shifter will work fine with a 9 speed road derailer and 9 speed cassette and I currently run a SRAM Trigger shifter with the same ratio as the shimano.

    P"

    Right on, thanks. That answered a lot of questions for me. One more though.... will it still work okay w/ my mtb cassette until I can get a road cassette? Or will it be skipping some gears?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    637
    the derailleur jockey pulleys may rub the teeth on the bigger gears (30-34) on a MTN cassette. So, wait until you get a road cassette to use the road derailleur.
    pay me

  8. #8
    Kill that $hit!
    Reputation: MorphineAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    809
    Quote Originally Posted by MD Bullit
    the derailleur jockey pulleys may rub the teeth on the bigger gears (30-34) on a MTN cassette. So, wait until you get a road cassette to use the road derailleur.
    makes sence... Thanks!

  9. #9
    [email protected] NYC Freerider
    Reputation: Master_Jako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,382
    Quote Originally Posted by MD Bullit
    A friend used an Ultegra derailleur and it snapped off after a drop. Not sure why, but it did. Maybe they aren't built as beefy as mtn derailleurs?

    hehe...look what a little stick did to my XT...Sh!t happens ...I was also wondering if short cage will be compatable with my current 9sp setup...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #10
    Kill that $hit!
    Reputation: MorphineAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    809
    Quote Originally Posted by Master_Jako
    hehe...look what a little stick did to my XT...Sh!t happens ...I was also wondering if short cage will be compatable with my current 9sp setup...
    Hey Jako, did you notice any change in your shifting smoothness when you put on that pully thing-a-ma-jigger? I've always wondered about those.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by MorphineAddict
    Right on, thanks. That answered a lot of questions for me. One more though.... will it still work okay w/ my mtb cassette until I can get a road cassette? Or will it be skipping some gears?
    you should be okay if you tune it properly but you'll have a few gears (2-3) on the upper or lower that doesn't feel as smooth. i would wait though to run the road cassette with the road de-railer if you really want to feel the benefits.

    ps.. i actually don't run the ultegra.. too spendy. i buy the shimano 105(2 gear). there like 30 bucks on performancebikes.com

    P"

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by MD Bullit
    the derailleur jockey pulleys may rub the teeth on the bigger gears (30-34) on a MTN cassette. So, wait until you get a road cassette to use the road derailleur.
    he's absolutely correct.

    P"

  13. #13
    [email protected] NYC Freerider
    Reputation: Master_Jako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,382
    Quote Originally Posted by MorphineAddict
    Hey Jako, did you notice any change in your shifting smoothness when you put on that pully thing-a-ma-jigger? I've always wondered about those.
    the reason i bought it is becuase i had a huge loop that got snagged on brush and stuff...this completely cut it down to size...the shifting deff got smoother...well worth the $8...called an Avid Rollamagic

  14. #14
    Kill that $hit!
    Reputation: MorphineAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    809
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Winn
    you should be okay if you tune it properly but you'll have a few gears (2-3) on the upper or lower that doesn't feel as smooth. i would wait though to run the road cassette with the road de-railer if you really want to feel the benefits.

    ps.. i actually don't run the ultegra.. too spendy. i buy the shimano 105(2 gear). there like 30 bucks on performancebikes.com

    P"
    I actually found an "almost new / barely used" ultegra for $30. That's why I was having all these questions. I'm gunna pick it up tonight after work. It's a hell of a deal.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OneBlueJoker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by MorphineAddict
    Hey Jako, did you notice any change in your shifting smoothness when you put on that pully thing-a-ma-jigger? I've always wondered about those.
    I had one of those avid thingies i didnt notice any difference at all.. It shifted the same without one of them so hope that helps!

  16. #16
    eci
    Reputation: snowskilz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,704
    i use a med cage xt with a ultegra 11-27 road cassette. It feels frikin awesome. Snappier, faster etc... I would def suggest it. and it def doesnt hang down as far as a long cage so it doesnt get caught on tons o stuff

Similar Threads

  1. short cage derailleur and bullit
    By captainpolution in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-05-2005, 08:17 PM
  2. Question about running larger front tire
    By dsully575 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-08-2005, 03:08 PM
  3. short cage rear der w 11x32 cassette
    By FUD in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-07-2004, 02:35 PM
  4. XO long cage vs. short
    By Treybiker in forum SRAM
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-28-2004, 10:56 PM
  5. Drivetrain question those running Top Swing/22 tooth drives, most of you I assume...
    By Gnarlygig in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-23-2004, 03:38 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.