Anyone running short cage derailleur's? Question....- Mtbr.com
    Kill that $hit!

Anyone running short cage derailleur's? Question....

Right now I have an XT drivetrain (9 sp in the rear), but I'm thinking about using an Ultegra shortcage (9 sp) in the rear instead for more rock clearance. Does anyone know if this will be compatable w/ my current setup? I.e. would I need different shifers or cassette? Thanks.

EDIT: Okay, I saw another post on this and I realized I had left out some importaint info. I'm only running one chainring up front. (38) w/ an MRP chainguide system. Maybe that's relavant info, maybe it's not, but I figured I'd add that. I'm still curious about the actual shifters working with that deralleur though. Thanks again......

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MorphineAddict
    Right now I have an XT drivetrain (9 sp in the rear), but I'm thinking about using an Ultegra shortcage (9 sp) in the rear instead for more rock clearance. Does anyone know if this will be compatable w/ my current setup? I.e. would I need different shifers or cassette? Thanks.

EDIT: Okay, I saw another post on this and I realized I had left out some importaint info. I'm only running one chainring up front. (38) w/ an MRP chainguide system. Maybe that's relavant info, maybe it's not, but I figured I'd add that. I'm still curious about the actual shifters working with that deralleur though. Thanks again......

hey dude,

i've been running an ultegra short cage (road) derailer on my dh bike for years. it works awesome, shorter cage for better clearance, stiffer spring for snappier shifts and way cheap.

you want to run a different cassette though. pick up a nice road cassette or speed cassette(smaller gear ratio's) and it will shift cleaner than your mtn cassette(wider range of gear ratio's). you won't have those small gears though for climbing if it's a freeride bike. but for pure DH, i've found it to be a sick setup.

basically a road de-railer works better with a road cassette. your 9 speed shifter will work fine with a 9 speed road derailer and 9 speed cassette and I currently run a SRAM Trigger shifter with the same ratio as the shimano.

P"

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    A friend used an Ultegra derailleur and it snapped off after a drop. Not sure why, but it did. Maybe they aren't built as beefy as mtn derailleurs?
    pay me

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MD Bullit
    A friend used an Ultegra derailleur and it snapped off after a drop. Not sure why, but it did. Maybe they aren't built as beefy as mtn derailleurs?

hm... it snapped after a drop? did he bash something hard(a rock maybe) on the landing? b/c any de-railer will snap. but i'm betting that the chain was too short and he took to many links out.

if the chain is too short and the suspension goes through it's travel it will put too much load on the chain and snap will go the derailer. i seriously have ruined less short cages (road) derailers than the standard mtn or short cage mtn's.

P"

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Winn
    hm... it snapped after a drop? did he bash something hard(a rock maybe) on the landing? b/c any de-railer will snap. but i'm betting that the chain was too short and he took to many links out.

if the chain is too short and the suspension goes through it's travel it will put too much load on the chain and snap will go the derailer. i seriously have ruined less short cages (road) derailers than the standard mtn or short cage mtn's.

P"
    No, his chain was the correct length. He had bottomed the bike out before with no bad results. I haven't had any problems with XTR mid cage derailleurs so it's all good.
    pay me

Kill that $hit!
    hey dude,

i've been running an ultegra short cage (road) derailer on my dh bike for years. it works awesome, shorter cage for better clearance, stiffer spring for snappier shifts and way cheap.

you want to run a different cassette though. pick up a nice road cassette or speed cassette(smaller gear ratio's) and it will shift cleaner than your mtn cassette(wider range of gear ratio's). you won't have those small gears though for climbing if it's a freeride bike. but for pure DH, i've found it to be a sick setup.

basically a road de-railer works better with a road cassette. your 9 speed shifter will work fine with a 9 speed road derailer and 9 speed cassette and I currently run a SRAM Trigger shifter with the same ratio as the shimano.

P"

Right on, thanks. That answered a lot of questions for me. One more though.... will it still work okay w/ my mtb cassette until I can get a road cassette? Or will it be skipping some gears?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    the derailleur jockey pulleys may rub the teeth on the bigger gears (30-34) on a MTN cassette. So, wait until you get a road cassette to use the road derailleur.
    pay me

Kill that $hit!
    the derailleur jockey pulleys may rub the teeth on the bigger gears (30-34) on a MTN cassette. So, wait until you get a road cassette to use the road derailleur.
    makes sence... Thanks!

[email protected] NYC Freerider

hehe...look what a little stick did to my XT...Sh!t happens ...I was also wondering if short cage will be compatable with my current 9sp setup...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kill that $hit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Master_Jako
    hehe...look what a little stick did to my XT...Sh!t happens ...I was also wondering if short cage will be compatable with my current 9sp setup...
    Hey Jako, did you notice any change in your shifting smoothness when you put on that pully thing-a-ma-jigger? I've always wondered about those.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Right on, thanks. That answered a lot of questions for me. One more though.... will it still work okay w/ my mtb cassette until I can get a road cassette? Or will it be skipping some gears?
    you should be okay if you tune it properly but you'll have a few gears (2-3) on the upper or lower that doesn't feel as smooth. i would wait though to run the road cassette with the road de-railer if you really want to feel the benefits.

ps.. i actually don't run the ultegra.. too spendy. i buy the shimano 105(2 gear). there like 30 bucks on performancebikes.com

P"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    he's absolutely correct.

P"

[email protected] NYC Freerider
    Hey Jako, did you notice any change in your shifting smoothness when you put on that pully thing-a-ma-jigger? I've always wondered about those.
    the reason i bought it is becuase i had a huge loop that got snagged on brush and stuff...this completely cut it down to size...the shifting deff got smoother...well worth the $8...called an Avid Rollamagic

Kill that $hit!
    you should be okay if you tune it properly but you'll have a few gears (2-3) on the upper or lower that doesn't feel as smooth. i would wait though to run the road cassette with the road de-railer if you really want to feel the benefits.

ps.. i actually don't run the ultegra.. too spendy. i buy the shimano 105(2 gear). there like 30 bucks on performancebikes.com

P"
    I actually found an "almost new / barely used" ultegra for $30. That's why I was having all these questions. I'm gunna pick it up tonight after work. It's a hell of a deal.

mtbr member
    I had one of those avid thingies i didnt notice any difference at all.. It shifted the same without one of them so hope that helps!

eci
    i use a med cage xt with a ultegra 11-27 road cassette. It feels frikin awesome. Snappier, faster etc... I would def suggest it. and it def doesnt hang down as far as a long cage so it doesnt get caught on tons o stuff