anyone running 2.5F/ 2.35R Minion set up for DH?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

anyone running 2.5F/ 2.35R Minion set up for DH?

Thinking about replacing my rear 2.5 Minion 3C with a 2.35F Minion

anyone running a 2.35 Minion at the back? Any pros & cons other than heaps of weight savings?

Cons: The 2.35 minion actual size is like a 2.1. Pinner tire. Pretty sure it only comes in 60a compound so not as good in wet rocks and roots.

Pros: lighter, cheaper, easier to pedal.

squish is good
    And the 2.5 is like a 2.35. Thats a super skinny tire combo for DH. I go min 2.5/2.5 or 2.7/2.5 <--- this one is much closer to a traditional 2.5/2.35 combo.

I run 2.7's front and rear on mine and don't notice any adverse pedaling.
    Bike good, work bad.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Wouldn't suggest it. 2 reasons, it's a really small tire, and you can't get it in a dual ply.

Depending on what type of track you're planning on riding, you're going to lose traction and open yourself up for more pinchflat's/punctures. They have a very weak sidewall. Not near as bad as a comparable Kenda though...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    One sidewall cut on me within a month on a minion 2.35 rear.
    Just this weekend noticed one of the nobs on my Highroller 2.35 is tearing away. the tube is beginning to poke through that hole, and again this tire is only 1 1/2 months old.

I don't want to thread jack, but are the 2.5's stronger in the sidewall? I havent had any trouble witht he front tire but both rears have been very disappointing. I'm not worried about a wider tire for more traction, just wondering if it will take me $50 a little further than a few months

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by ccspecialized
    One sidewall cut on me within a month on a minion 2.35 rear.
    Just this weekend noticed one of the nobs on my Highroller 2.35 is tearing away. the tube is beginning to poke through that hole, and again this tire is only 1 1/2 months old.

I don't want to thread jack, but are the 2.5's stronger in the sidewall? I havent had any trouble witht he front tire but both rears have been very disappointing. I'm not worried about a wider tire for more traction, just wondering if it will take me $50 a little further than a few months
    All the 2.5's come with a DH sidewall. You're going to gain a pound, but they are very durable. I have had a puncture with a UST Highroller, but it was on some really sharp rocks.

By the way, look for deals as most of the DH Maxxis tires hover around $70 msrp. Get a 60a compound if you're concerned about making your money last.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

N* Bomber Crew
    You might be more content with getting a 60A 2.5 DHF for the rear. My friend of mine ran dual fronts all season and they hooked up really well. I ran the DHF and DHR, but I would've liked a bit more bite with my rear tire.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

OMG!
    thats a solid setup, but i like a high roller rear more. it has a better feel without those intermediate lugs

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    They definitely look smaller than the size leads you to believe. I thought I made a mistake when I ordered the 2.7 front but it looked more like a 2.5 once I mounted it up.

Members who have read this thread: 0