Anyone ridden a Canfield JEDI VS. Intense 951/M9?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anyone ridden a Canfield JEDI VS. Intense 951/M9?

I am curious the differences in handling/performance/etc.. Between:

1) Canfield Brothers JEDI
    2) Intense M9 (and/or)
    3) Intense 951 (and/or)

Any experiences/recommendations? They are all amazing bikes with seemingly similar suspension technology... But whats hype and what real??

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've tried both the 951 and the jedi.(2010)
    951felt a lille lower and pedaling is maybe a lille better. The jedi feels better in corners, and it's a more fun bike in my opinion. It handles bad landings way better too.

I didn't try them on the same track and the suspension was not set up for me. Anyway, i ended up with the jedi, which i absolutely love!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I found with my Jedi that the right shock set up will make all the difference. I was less stoked about the Jedi running Roco and Elka shocks. Paired with the Avalanche Woodie, it's in a completely different league. I still believe the Jedi is best suited for really tight, turny, rocky, tech trails. It's agile and flickable as all get out. The only thing I would consider "hype", is the "It's the fastest bike in the world" tagline. The rear travel works as advertised. The frame has no flex and the bearings/pivots are still going strong 2 years in.

The 951 with it's adjustable wheelbase, travel, and angle settings will likely offer more flexibility for different types of terrain. I have not ridden one, but a friend of mine owns one with a CCDB, and he's loving it. There have been complaints about not getting full travel with some shock /spring set ups however. For the frame price of $1900, I consider the 951 a great value, and would be looking closely at one if I was in the need of a new frame.

No experience with the M9.

I don't think there's a bad pick in the litter. It's like asking which SI swimsuit model you should take home.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm the friend that k1 is speaking of.
    I switched my CCDB for an Avalanche Woodie towards the end of the summer, and will not go back.
    A much better shock in my opinion, and I thought the Cane Creek was great.

Back to the original question........... you can't go wrong with any of the choices above.
    Test ride them if possible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tree
    Back to the original question........... you can't go wrong with any of the choices above.
    Test ride them if possible.
    Ya, both seem great. I wish I could ride both, but it is pretty much impossible. Trying to tap into the MTBR community for the "simulated experience".

I like the fact that both are more of a rider ran operation. More so even Canfield, because they work so hard and are such great guys making gear that is superb. Intnese 951 is sexy as hell too.

Roll on Spring Time!
    I havent tried my Jedi with another shock but I have a feeling it could be better. I cant put my finger on it just seems like there is something missing. With the ELka I find it performs best when riding at higher speeds, at lower speeds it seems sluggish. I really want to try a Woodie but I need to decide if it will go on my Delerium or my Jedi, cant do both. I also find the Jedi blows through travel with the Elka.
    I just want to ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Instead of starting a new topic I may as well ask on this one.

How do people compare the V10 to the Jedi? I'm thinking of the the latest Aluminium V10 not the Carbon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by juan pablo
    I havent tried my Jedi with another shock but I have a feeling it could be better. I cant put my finger on it just seems like there is something missing. With the ELka I find it performs best when riding at higher speeds, at lower speeds it seems sluggish. I really want to try a Woodie but I need to decide if it will go on my Delerium or my Jedi, cant do both. I also find the Jedi blows through travel with the Elka.
    Hey Juan,
    The main issue with my Elka/Jedi combo was that the shock would pack up on repeated, fast hits. It felt like the shock just couldn't move fluids fast enough and it made the bike feel like it had 5" of travel at best.

The Elka did a great job on big hits and landings provided they were spaced far enough apart.I did not get a sluggish feel from running the Elka or suffer blow through. Could you be running too light of a spring?

I can tell you that I had the same feelings of "meh" about this bike until I put the Woodie on it. I now feel like I got my money's worth.

Babw,
    I'd consider these two bikes at the opposite ends of the DH spectrum. In my opinion, the Jedi is a pumped up 4X bike, and the V10, a plush, race-bred, rock plow. They both excel in their natural environment, but they don't live in the same town. What type of riding are you into?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker
    Babw,
    I'd consider these two bikes at the opposite ends of the DH spectrum. In my opinion, the Jedi is a pumped up 4X bike, and the V10, a plush, race-bred, rock plow. They both excel in their natural environment, but they don't live in the same town. What type of riding are you into?
    I've had the Jedi for the past season and it's been fun to ride but when I was out in the Alps and places like Schladming/Champery (I'm based in the UK) I felt like I could do with something a bit longer and slacker feeling. The Jedi seemed to blow through it's travel felt a bit twitchy at full tilt.

I've got a Trek Scratch for all mountain duties so don't need something I can pedal back up the hill and as the V10 has such a great pedigree and some great deals at the moment I've seriously been considering it.

Would be great to hear from someone who's ridden both.

******ed or Branded??
    Hey Juan,
    The main issue with my Elka/Jedi combo was that the shock would pack up on repeated, fast hits. It felt like the shock just couldn't move fluids fast enough and it made the bike feel like it had 5" of travel at best.

The Elka did a great job on big hits and landings provided they were spaced far enough apart.I did not get a sluggish feel from running the Elka or suffer blow through. Could you be running too light of a spring?

I can tell you that I had the same feelings of "meh" about this bike until I put the Woodie on it. I now feel like I got my money's worth.

Babw,
    I would think the changes in the 2011 would remedy all your woes that you have stated. But that's just what I see. I had a 08' Jedi and loved that bike but there were a few things I would've like change and they pretty much nailed it on the head for the 2011 model. Can't wait to get my new Jedi in my hands and find out the how great the changes are!

Roll on Spring Time!
    For the reasons stated above, that is why I like the Jedi. It suits my style and terrain. I like agile bikes, dont race and while I dont like to plough I am a bit of a hack and find the Jedi eats rocks if the speed is up. The thing I like the most is how well it jumps. I found it difficult to adjust to the way it corners but now I find it rails.
    I have tried to play with the Elka's settings and my 350 lb spring gives me 33% sag. I will take the 400lb one with me next time and try it again but In Cape Town the terrain is rough and and there are not alot of big drops or jumps so the 350lb seems well suited. I still think a Woodie is the way to go but I think my Delerium will be getting it as the Jedi may have to be retired for a while while I go traveling long term with the family.
    The new Jedi must be insane with all the tweaks and the travel adjustments.
    I just want to ride.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by Babw
    I've had the Jedi for the past season and it's been fun to ride but when I was out in the Alps and places like Schladming/Champery (I'm based in the UK) I felt like I could do with something a bit longer and slacker feeling. The Jedi seemed to blow through it's travel felt a bit twitchy at full tilt.
    What year Jedi and what shock/ spring? How much do you weigh?
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Babw,
    ....... the V10: a plush, race-bred, rock plow.
    I ride a 2007 V10 and agree with this 100%. V10 seems to be at home on a *World Cup" track. You Sit low& deep into the travel, it responds GREAT to speed( feels stable when "at speed"). This also means Not extremely "poppy" and "flickable". Personally, it feels kind of "tank'ish" at slow speeds.

Not planning on riding as much "gnarly" stuff or racing. More park/freeride/light DH type of stuff with the wifey. Debating about selling my V10, but I know I will miss it for some tracks.
    Last edited by E_braker; 04-28-2011 at 01:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    What year Jedi and what shock/ spring? How much do you weigh?

It's a 2008 I've been using with a Bos Stoy and a 325lb spring (I'm 170lb and tried springs ranging from 275 - 400) for most of the season and just got an RC4 to experiment with.

I find that if you just lean back and hold a straight line through a rock garden the Jedi's great but I feel that I've progressed as a rider and am no longer just hanging on but changing lines and trying to get a few pedal strokes in where it feels reluctant to do this.

Also pushing through flat turns the bike gets significantly longer which I guess I've not really got used to either.

What I'm expecting from the V10 is the bump eating ability of the Jedi but a bit more agility and response from the VPP design.

mtbr member
    ive ridden all 3 bikes, my friend owns a 2010 jedi with an elka, more friends own 951's and i own an m9. They are all completely different... I'll try to be objective but i know canfield has a mass of internet followers that cry slander at any negative mentions and the same goes for intense.

for skill level requirements so you know im not a complete hack riding down a gravel road and calling it downhilling, i race expert 19-24 and A's in collegiate

first up - the jedi
    im 5'10 - the bike was a large (23.5 tt) - had correctly setup suspension (elka) for my weight - honestly, i didnt really like it that much, my tracks have loads of jumps on them, lots of corners and berms and a few rocky bits, i will admit, it ate the rocks in a manner that put a smile on your face but i hated it in every other aspect, to deal with the rearward travel, when i would pump up the face of a jump, the rear would lengthen and it would always come off the lip weird - never bucked me - but i was never comfortable in the air on it, if i was trying to stay light and low over a lip - no issues... it pedaled decently, but not great, im someone who really likes my bikes to pedal really well, for dh bikes, and this wasnt close to the cove shocker i was coming off of. Then finally, the cornering, i hated this part, but my shocker was in boulder and i was in california at my parents house so it was the only bike i could ride, this bike, is incredibly hard to corner, my shocker had a 65ha and a 14.5 inch bb and corners like its on rails, this doesnt... when you smash into a berm, and the wheelbase grows, the bike tends to stand up and i hated that. after a week or so of smashing into stuff and swearing i figured out how to get it to turn, and its different but not impossible, i wouldnt ever buy this bike for the tight slower feature intensive trails i ride, if i rode really really fast, rocky, straight, wideopen trails, maybe id consider it - wait - i have an m9, nevermind...

i didnt like this bike that much too, found the spring rate to be a little too progressive, and every 951 ive ridden felt like the intense slopestyle i rode all summer - given the choice between the two - id take the slopestyle anyday... that being said, it pedals ok, corners pretty well, is adjustable, light, very flickable and fun bike to ride down a trail. Have heard of an issue getting springs for heavier riders to work, but im 185 and it felt fine.

m9
    i own one of these but i havent ridden it yet - still waiting for parts but i have ridden some friends m9's and if you could pick between the three bikes, this is the one id have, you can set it up any way you want, it can be a 951, or it can be a monster truck. Its the heaviest of the three but the way builds are going these days with light and strong parts, that doesnt matter too much. I fancy myself a racer so raked out and low is the way to go and for the trails i ride in the summer where i live in oregon and in colorado, raked out and low is perfect... i find vpp in general to be predictable, pedal well and its given me minimal issues in the past.

that being said - all three are great bikes and i was trying my best to be as critical as possible - riding downhill is really fun - its gonna be a blast on any bike... hope this helps...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chup29

first up - the jedi
    im 5'10 - the bike was a large (23.5 tt) - had correctly setup suspension (elka) for my weight - honestly, i didnt really like it that much, my tracks have loads of jumps on them, lots of corners and berms and a few rocky bits, i will admit, it ate the rocks in a manner that put a smile on your face but i hated it in every other aspect, to deal with the rearward travel, when i would pump up the face of a jump, the rear would lengthen and it would always come off the lip weird - never bucked me - but i was never comfortable in the air on it, if i was trying to stay light and low over a lip - no issues... it pedaled decently, but not great, im someone who really likes my bikes to pedal really well, for dh bikes, and this wasnt close to the cove shocker i was coming off of. Then finally, the cornering, i hated this part, but my shocker was in boulder and i was in california at my parents house so it was the only bike i could ride, this bike, is incredibly hard to corner, my shocker had a 65ha and a 14.5 inch bb and corners like its on rails, this doesnt... when you smash into a berm, and the wheelbase grows, the bike tends to stand up and i hated that. after a week or so of smashing into stuff and swearing i figured out how to get it to turn, and its different but not impossible, i wouldnt ever buy this bike for the tight slower feature intensive trails i ride, if i rode really really fast, rocky, straight, wideopen trails, maybe id consider it - wait - i have an m9, nevermind...
    While I have the exact opposite opinion on the Jedi's ability to handle fast, wide-open trails, I have the same opinion on the weird jumping characteristics. I just never feel comfortable hitting big, vertical jumps on this frame.

mtbr member
    While I have the exact opposite opinion on the Jedi's ability to handle fast, wide-open trails, I have the same opinion on the weird jumping characteristics. I just never feel comfortable hitting big, vertical jumps on this frame.
    i think the reason i felt comfortable on the wide open stuff and not the tight stuff is that my shocker is incredibly good at the tight stuff, and it's a medium with a 22.8 inch top tube - i usually like a bigger bike (my m9 is a 24 inch tt large) so i was coming from a bike that was too small for me to a bike that fit me better and was way bigger

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/187871/ - video from when i was riding the jedi - shows you what trails i was riding and some puddle smashing... you can see the bike's tendency to stand up in some of the harder berms... also, im the one riding, and its always on the jedi, my little brothers in there too on his v10 but if you see pink gloves or smith stickers on a visor - its me...
    Last edited by chup29; 04-28-2011 at 09:01 PM.

Roll on Spring Time!
    I am an everage rider working hard to improve. I wasnt sure if it was just me or if the Jedi took some getting used. I seem to feel the same as above. I thought the HA was the reason and I had to get used to a DH bike. Then I did some checking and my Delerium is at 65* so its not far off. I can really pin corners on my Delerium compared to the Jedi. I did get better since I have read about alot of people having to adjust to the way the bike corners, but describing how the bike wants to stand up in the corners is exactly what happens to me and you really have to work it. Funny thing is I find I jump really well on the Jedi and it goes off drops perfectly, I just find it blows through travel. I do enjoy the Jedi on more open trails and hit rough sections, really controlled but this is my first DH rig.
    The Jedi suits South Africa more and the Derium is perfect for SOuth Korea. Having said that, a month of the Jedi always means I have to adjust to it again. I was instantly comfortable and riding better on the Delerium, on the Jedi I have to get into it again.
    I just want to ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0