Anyone planning to race at US open at Diablo?- Mtbr.com
    Big Hittin'

Anyone planning to race at US open at Diablo?

U.S open at diablo is coming up in may, anyone plan on racing? they have pro and am classes in DH and Slalom.

im def a begininer when it comes to Dh but i plan on registering for the amateur giant slalom event. ive only been to diablo once but ive raced standup watercraft and rode motocross for a while. i figure ill have a whole month to practice at diablo before it goes down.

figured this would be a good way to learn and would be fun. i have no idea of what the other competitor skill is and def not planning on winning but i thought id register and if i qualify id be pretty stoked.

am i way over my head here or am i ok?

i was plannin on riding that weekend at diablo anyway so while im up there i might as well enter. (70 bucks to register and get a lift ticket for the weekend as well!)

any tips or advice would be great, thanks guys
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Go for the DH! Do it for those of us that don't live anywhere near a race event. And enjoy every minute of it! Good luck

Big Hittin'
    i would but i dont have a full blown dh bike. i figured the slalom would be a good way to get into racing and just learn.
    29er's are Goofy

Delirious Tuck
    You'll be fine on a good HT on the Slalom or short travel rig, no need for full DH on that. The actually DH course for the open is steep, like, super steep rock garden cliffish steep.

I'm considering the DH.

Big Hittin'
    Im gunna be riding my enduro evo. Def capable of handling the slalom course.

75 riders top 30 qualify for the race.

Like I said I'm not planing on winning just using it as learning experience/ practice. But I'd be super stoked to qualify.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone raced last year and what/how the competition is
    29er's are Goofy

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nokfir2
    Im gunna be riding my enduro evo. Def capable of handling the slalom course.

75 riders top 30 qualify for the race.

Like I said I'm not planing on winning just using it as learning experience/ practice. But I'd be super stoked to qualify.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone raced last year and what/how the competition is
    The competition is stiff. Riders from all over the country come and compete. The GS track is fun as hell though and your Enduro would be a great bike for it.

You could also ride that bike on a good portion of the mountain. The green trails actually suit a 6-ish inch bike very well and if you're up for it they rent DH bikes in the shop for around $100.

The DH track is a blast too. It's not super steep, but the top half is really rocky. You'd ideally want a DH bike for that.

It's such a fun place to ride. I'm a local and ride 3-4 times a week there in the summer and it never gets old.

Big Hittin'
    Yea I bought the bike to ride on my local xc trails as well as diablo. I though it be a half and half bike. I plan on being at diablo on most weekends, the should be good enough for 80% of the trails.

Anyway back to the competition, so the amateur class is pretty tuff huh?

I'm gunna start riding as soon as diablo opens to get as much practice as poss. This wil be my first year ridig dh

Dougie if u ever wanna ride lemi know, I'll usually be heading up there alone always looking for some riding buddiess
    Last edited by nokfir2; 03-03-2011 at 09:13 AM.
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    There are only Amateur and Pro classes for the downhill. A good friend of mine won the amateur class last year for downhill, and I think he took the slalom too. He didn't win by much in both at all either, so he wasn't sand bagging. The competition is extremely stiff and he is a great rider.

Big Hittin'
    There is AM and Pro classes for slalom as well. Check the site
    29er's are Goofy

Big Hittin'
    anyone else got info?
    29er's are Goofy

Members who have read this thread: 0