anyone miss their granny ring?- Mtbr.com
    RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

anyone miss their granny ring?

I'm considering chain guide options.

a) lose the granny ring and go with an SRS system
    b) keep the granny and go with a DRS.

the Demo 9 will be used almost 100% at lift serviced DH runs (diablo). However, I'm not entirely sure I want to lose the gearing options. If you've chosen one of the above, what's your recommendation? Any regrets?

also, I use SRS and DRS as examples, but I noticed the e13 systems require a little tweaking to fit a demo 9. I'm open to suggestions on better fitting systems.

mtbr member
    If you are riding lift serviced trails I would ditch the dual ring and just get a single 36-38t ring with the SRS, becausse you don't need the granny gear. However if you need to be able to climb even a little I would stick with the dual rings and the DRS. Here where I am I do a lot of pedaling and run the DRS. I can't say enough good about it. I have been running it for about 3 months now and honestly I have never droped a chain. Read the reviews on it. Everyone I know who is running it loves it. If it is difficult to fit on the Demo 9 just call E-13 and they will help you out. Great customer service!
    `..><((((>`..`..`...><((((>`. .`..`...><((((> `.. `..

Doesnt ride Banshees
    granny rings are for skirts. If you cant pedal the hill, then push it, you'll still get there quicker than spinnin a granny. go with the srs.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Banshee Rider
    push it, you'll still get there quicker than spinnin a granny. .
    You don't pedal much do you?
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    go with the srs...you'll love it, i have buddys that run the dual ring deal and it is a mess... not too bad... but with a single ring you don't have to worry about shifting or anything
    $0.02
    M. D. LEMONS

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Banshee Rider
    If you cant pedal the hill, then push it, you'll still get there quicker than spinnin a granny.
    You know, my friend always says this because he has a "bad knee" and doesn't like pedaling up hills. I've determined it's just a ******** line by people too lazy to pedal up. Even in my lowest gear I'm much faster up a hill, and usually I'm a few gears up from that.

whoa I didn't know they had ******** censors on here!

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lemons
    but with a single ring you don't have to worry about shifting or anything
    $0.02
    yep, it wouldn't really influence my decision, but I was thinking it would be cool to remove the front derailleur and shifter and cables too. clean up the front end a bit.

T.Dot Represent
    ive been riding on a DRS and i found that if you take the time to adjust the fron deraileur ull be fine wont drop any chains and if u do drop a chain it will drop to the granny qucik fix lol CLIK and its done

i found out that my new frame doesnt alow front D's so ill be running a 36 tooth and a DRS that i plan on converting to a SRS lol il think of somehitng....
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    You don't pedal much do you?

what's pedaling????
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Can't get right...
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    what's pedaling????
    Its that crazy thing people do when the lift is broken. I think its xc oriented. not sure tho. 220lbs-y pedal when gravity works better.
    I watch the O.C. cause it makes me happy...

If misery was money i'd be the richest man on the planet.

Fartographer

Ummm

I miss your granny.

I'm running a single, 34-tooth ring. It rules. Sometimes I walk. That's ok. I hate spinning a granny like a hamster on its exercise wheel. I'd rather walk.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    . I hate spinning a granny like a hamster on its exercise wheel. I'd rather walk.
    Um, sir, this is a mountain biking site.

You must be looking for this
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

If you're doing some real trail riding (as in climbing to the top of whatever you're about to fly down) you'll be happier with a granny. Much happier. I'd go with a 36-24 setup over a 32-22. If you get a single 36 tooth ring rest assured that it acutally is possible to pedal up just about anything, but you're going to have to be in really good shape and have a lot of willpower. And it will hurt. Heck, you can pedal a 38 or 40 up a lot of climbs too, if you like the pain. But it is simpler. And there isn't much reason to have a granny ring if you never head uphill.

Justin Vander Pol
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM
    the Demo 9 will be used almost 100% at lift serviced DH runs (diablo).
    Then just save yourself some $$ and get the SRS. In my region you miss out on the best riding if you don't granny, but if you only ride resorts, what's the point of going 5 mph?

Justin Vander Pol
    Quote Originally Posted by dannymonky
    220lbs-y pedal when gravity works better.
    Oh gawd, you're setting us up waaaay to easily on that one... I'll resist the temptation.

SNOWRIDER
    who the hell pedals
    single 36 t and a custom chain guide system

click here scroll down for better pics
    Last edited by Deweydude; 10-05-2005 at 08:26 PM.
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

mechmann_mtb
    if you are not a pu$$y and you have a 32T front with 11/34 in the back, you should be able to climb just about anything. i am working on not being a pu$$y

i don't miss the granny ring much, but if the climb is longer than a couple of miles i am not sure i won't wuss out. maybe i just need more caffiene

mtbr member
    if you ride completely lift access trails then lose the two ring set up. if you have to climb ever get a dual ring guide believe me. if you race also only go single ring.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mechmann_mtb
    if you are not a pu$$y and you have a 32T front with 11/34 in the back, you should be able to climb just about anything. i am working on not being a pu$$y

i don't miss the granny ring much, but if the climb is longer than a couple of miles i am not sure i won't wuss out. maybe i just need more caffiene
    that's nothing...

try doing a climb on my bike, 38 tooth in front and a road cassette in back. i've only made it up a couple small hills with it

but my next bike will have a drs. it sucks to have to pedal the above up hill. i've done it up some very long climbs (or tried to) and you really need to put all you've got into it. i would recommend the drs. i'm getting one

N* Bomber Crew
    I ride my 67 with a e13 DRS and couldn't be happier. I've been doing a lot of Downhill. Over the summer I didn't ride uphill once....and now, with the lifts close to me closed, I still fit in some Downhill.

I've been hiking and biking around here. Its fine with me, my friends all think its whack, but its more "chill" to chat with friends, take in the scenerey, sing crappy 50 cent songs, and haul your bike uphill, then rip with it downhill. Love the DH.

However, this doesn't mean I'm going to swap out my DRS for a SRS....thats just simply a waste. Although all I do is DH anymore, I still like having the ability of having a granny ring. My bike is basically the only awesome bike I own (My foes is single, designed for DS/4X) and I use it for everything. Its a convenience factor for me. I haven't used it in a long time, but the fact its there and ready to use to me is crucial in case you ever need to.

Here's the other thing as well....the DRS hold your chain as good as the SRS. While yeah it has some "risk" without it being fully retained on the upper half like the SRS has, I threw my bike at some INSANE DH riding and racing, and held up. NO dropped chains the entire time I DH'ed. Northstar, Racing Sea Otter and Cougar Mountain, everything...no dropped chains.

I feel that your choice should be based on convenience. The DRS will hold your chain up fine...its not like the SRS will do a better job at that. If you feel like you need the granny, keep it. Don't need it? Ditch it. Just don't base your decision as "Which one will hold my chain better" cause both of them do a outstanding job.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Yay! Bikes !
    I'm currently experimenting with a single 32t up front, 11-34 in back.
    I find that I can still make the steepest climbs without trouble, and that was my primary concern. I don't use a chainguide but have the ring sandwiched between a RF bashguard and a thinner MRP plate on the inside. No drag or noise, and more clearance than having a roller hanging below my BB.

I think a 34 up front would be perfect for my situation.
    If I couldn't climb something in 34-34 I wouldn't feel bad having to walk it anyway.

Members who have read this thread: 0