Anyone know the conditions of Pink starfish fromme?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anyone know the conditions of Pink starfish fromme?

Looks to be a hard techhical trail but cant find any videos of it on the net really. Any one know if its rideable or how hard it is too ride? Looks to be a really good trail for me to try certain things on?

mtbr member
    It's been about 7-8 years since I rode it, but it was a nice trail from what I remember. It was similar to Ladies Only but perhaps a little easier. I get a lot of those trails confused though and have ridden most of them at one time or another. Pipeline is another good one with some long, technical, but reasonable-height skinnies and ladders. Those all start on the same switchback, if I recall. You can't go wrong with any of them.
    Bikes belong in Wilderness areas.:)

mtbr member
    Found this for 'ya:

Watching that video brings it back to my memory. It's definitely an old-school trail and you'll work your ass off to clean everything. What makes it technical is that it's not as steep as many of the other trails, so you've got to work to keep your momentum up. Upper Oilcan is like this too, only it has more ridiculous stunts. I would probably recommend Pipeline and Ladies over this, as they are a lot more flowy but just as techical.

mtbr member
    kk thanks yeah i only have a friend that can do some stuff but not much i need someone to ride with some time ( even if its a adult (that i can trust)), maybe i will meet u guys on the trail one day ;D one day i am pretty decent and can do quite a few trails on the North Shore on Fromme i have done (pipeline, 7th secret, floppy bunny, bobsled, krinkum crankum, espresso, kirkford, griffen, natural high and leppard) on seymour i have done( incline, neds, pingu, pangor, corkscrew, salvation,) and i am going to try cypress soon ( cant wait ). I havent done everysingle stunt on all those trails but the majority i have done. The only thing that i have to work on is rock faces and drops. Maybe someone can help some time ;D not asking rudely just wondering if any of you go to north shore regularly cause i... HAVE... done the programs ( flow and endless biking and have reached last level on both and in the end i did improve but not as much as i could've going with one person. Someone who is interesting to talk too (lol). Some of those bike instructors look like they hate there job. D;

mtbr member
    I'd gladly show you some techniques for that stuff, but I'm not from around there. I've just ridden there a bunch as well as Nelson, Kamloops, and Fernie B.C. I used to build some stuff like that as well, but in the U.S. it's often of questionable legality.

The most important lesson I can impart in you is to always be willing to walk away from a stunt/trail and try again another day. If you're not feeling 98% confident in something -- WALK AWAY. Those trails will eat you for breakfast. I've seen it happen and had to carry a friend a long way down Fromme one time.

Anyway, steeps and drops are usually mind over matter. Start small and work your way up. On drops, I usually don't recommend "popping" off them unless they have a long, steep transition. Instead, ride off them slightly crouched and then extend your bike into the landing with your arms and legs. There's a nice drop called "sideshow" which gaps over the trail Air Supply. It is intimidating because it is about a 12' drop, but the landing is perfect. If you can work yourself up to that one and then hit it a bunch of times, you'll gain confidence in drops pretty fast.

mtbr member
    kk yea thanks again i will keep in mind about walking away from stuff. i do know where is airsupply is though, is that gap near the beggining or the end? i think my first proper drop will be the bigger one on bobsled . my mum doesnt really trust anyone on the internet ( cause of predators and all that ) cause i am 15 but honestly i can tell if someone knows what they are talking about in biking. The passion really does show

mtbr member
    Sideshow is not too far down Air supply. After about the fourth jump on Air Supply, look up and to the right. There should be a big stump with a ladder on top of it which will send you across the trail (a road gap, basically). Make no mistake -- it's a big drop. But the landing is everything a big drop ought to have. It will show you that big drops are nothing to fear as long as they have a good landing. But....spend some more time on Bobsled first. There is nothing too serious on that trail.

mtbr member
    yea i will ;D

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Hi;
    The info on here, sorry to say, is rather inaccurate.

Air Supply was chainsawed maybe a year ago - so nothing on that trail last time I looked. I don't know if the road gap is still there, but it would probably be the first thing to go.
    I would also say that trying to do a 12 foot tall road-gap as some sort of learning environment, through North Shore forest, will only put someone in a hospital. :-) You'd better be fine with a 15' whistler drop and really understand body english and fast tables, before doing that sort of thing. Especially if a person hasn't done the "big" drop (3' give-or-take) on Bobsled yet.

As the North Shore gets "re-created", technical and exposed stunts are removed. As far as "civilian" trails go, Pink Starfish is now likely the most technical. It was always far worse than Pipeline, or Ladies Only, or Upper Oilcan. Pink Starfish requires very precise skills on skinnies, and on drops - most drops being created by those who knew wheely-drop techniques - so not much run-out. I think some of it has been smoothed out a bit, more to modern styles, and new-ish down ramps and skinnies have been put in place at the start. Despite that, it will have some of the trickiest skinnies, and least forgiving drops, on the shore. The drops may now be the highest ones left intact, as well, since all of them were chainsawed on Ned's. If the high roller coaster is still there, the trail will also have the second highest legal stunt out there. (Last time I was down it, a support for it had cracked - I don't know if they fixed it, or cut it down.)

If you can clean all the stunts on Natural High, and all the old stunts on Espresso, and the recently chainsawed lower drop on Ned's, and 95% of the stunts on Upper Oilcan (most skinnies, big smooothie, little smoothie); then you can start working the fascinating stuff on Pink Starfish.
    Of course, if you don't mind hiking with your bike, you can go down it whenever you like, it's worth the look - just don't push yourself to try stuff.

It's hard to find a trail with beginner drops. There is a huge gap between beginner and advanced trails now. They cut down all the small beginner stunts on easy trails. So not much of a progression these days. Practicing the floppy bunny jumps will help, and doing the drops on natural high. Also practice in interriver bike park.... and on the small drop on bobsled. Immonator has some good skinnies to play on, as well.

As for new trails to try for your level; Lower Oilcan has good practice skinnies on it - not too easy, but not high enough to hurt anything. The end of lower oilcan has good old-school roots and holes and loose stuff, and steep. Crippler has its cool bits too, but not too deadly if you stay off the roller coaster. Those would be fun to try out.

Cypress is incredibly steep. "Blind skier" is the easiest/smoothest. then there is "slippery canoe" into "tall cans". Those are about the easiest ways down - yet there is some pretty nasty stuff in there. Trails like Sex Boy, or especially Sex Girl, just get nuts.

Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    ^^Thanks for the updates. As I said, I haven't been there in a long time. It surprises me to hear you say Upper Oilcan is easier than Pink Starfish. I remember Upper Oil as having some fairly high, scary stuff, but nothing that high on PS. But I guess "high" doesn't necessarily mean technical.

As for the gap over Air Supply, no, I wouldn't recommend TS try something like that right away. I didn't find it that difficult though, and it had a smooth-as-butter landing. It's a moot point now though, I guess. Are they taming the NS now??? Can I still count on the NS to deliver the gnarliest of the gnar???

mtbr member
    there not going to change anything on cypress now and i know that is by far the steepest mtn of all the north shore trails. Im going to the NS in about a week or soo. Gonna try seymour, CBC, corkscrew ( gonna try that long skinny on CS), than salvation, pingu, boogieman.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Well, I think cookiemonster hit the nail on the head; a stunt being high doesn't make it difficult. It can make it psychologically intimidating, but not actually hard to do. (Myself being a rock climber, the "height factor" is reduced for me.)
    There are two high stunts on Upper Oilcan, as well as a fairly high A+ line option at the end of the U-Turn log skinnies. All of them are quite solid, wide (for classic shore stuff), and have fairly good sight lines. So other than exposure, and some mild skinniness, they aren't bad. Riding them is easier than they look.
    The skinnies on Pink Starfish are skinnier, have odd transitions, and may go from skinny to downhill skinny, to skinny drop, all very narrow and wobbling around. The high stuff on Pink Starfish is higher than anything on Upper Oilcan, but at least it's wide enough to stop on. The approaches and exits usually are shorter, and with more "texture" getting in the way. It is more of a classic shore "trials skill based" trail. Pete Morrin makes smoother trails and uses lots of rock armour in them.

As for Cypress - they are in the process of building a HUGE condo and townhouse system all over the lower part of the mountain. Already one of the best trails in the world is officially gone,"Family Guy". It had some of the best "beginner" cypress rock faces. Stuff you could barely control your speed on, 40 ft long, and great rock rolls, ramps, small jumps, switchbacks, skinny logs... etc. There are constant meetings trying to preserve some of the trails, but we will see what happens. Luckily I think some of the trails are in areas too steep to be cost effective to build on... but I don't know. With houses in West Van going for millions of dollars, they can justify some crazy construction.

As for the North Shore.... I've been riding since '82, and on the shore since maybe mid 80's, and helped build some of the very first real mtn. bike trails here. So now, almost every ride I go on, I get tears in my eyes. Trails and options and stunts that have been here for decades, hurt no one, aren't eroding in any way any more, and helped people learn and added challenge to a trail that made you come back time and again for more, are gone. Espresso has had the entry changed to something that isn't steep rocky rooty steps, the rest of the trail has been re-routed around the high log rides, the long skinnies, and the steep loose stuff. Maybe a hundred feet of skinnies that were put in just a few years ago, have been all taken out, and the only major stunts still in place is the rock roll, and a stump drop. It took me two years to clean that trail - I've worked on maintenanace for hours - and now it has been turned into something like Bobsled, smooth dirt that a wheelchair could get down. Severed-D is being totally rebuilt, and I think all the steep lose stuff is gone, and maybe even the tight step-down style corners. I haven't ridden it, too depressing a though to do so, despite two acquaintances being the ones rebuilding it. All the big drops on Ned's have been chainsawed, and I wouldn't be surprised if what was left of the Corkscrew logs skinny was cut down at some point. Pangor has had some stuff re-routed, and some skinny stuff made easier. Floppy Buynny ghas had the narrow steep ramps cut out and replace with 4 foot wide easy rolling ladder bridges...

Anyway, you get the picture, and maybe I'm just a cranky old man, but much of our trails have beer turned into things no one came here to ride.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Starfish is green and the stunts are pretty broken. Just hiked it this week.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    That's really unfortunate, esmbunny. The NS has always held a "mythical" status for me. It certainly raised the bar for me and I was already a pretty talented DH rider before I started aspiring to ride NS stuff. I'll never forget the first time I went there: It was after a rainstorm and it was super foggy everywhere. I went up and hit Upper Oilcan and cleaned the whole thing -- man, I've never felt better in my life! On later trips I tried some of the harder stuff and I've got to give kudos to anyone who has cleaned trails like Flying Circus, Jerry Rig, and GMG. You have to be on a whole different level of consciousness to clean some of those in their entirety. To this day, I have never ridden anything as gnarly as GMG. That includes the old Red Bull Rampage course. Sadly, it seems that trials + DH style of trail is being phased out everywhere.

Don't get me wrong, trails like Bobsled are fun. But anyone can do them.

mtbr member
    that's really too bad D; cause im younger and i will have never got to try some of the harder stuff there is to offer...... on the NS, from what im hearing from you guys old school is litterly " old school " stuff that builders don't enjoy making anymore or the newer generation of bikers dont like. Not to say im not the newer generation but i do love old school type of riding.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    There's lots of old school around. One look at the guidebook or one ride will tell you that. If you believe 100% of what you read on the internet your brain will rot. Best to find out for yourself
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    yea that's true ;D