Anyone know anything about 2006 Boxxers?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MicroHuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    606

    Anyone know anything about 2006 Boxxers?

    Are they for sure getting motion control damping? I would consider a 133-178mm Boxxer ride if it had MCD instead of the crappy HC2.

    Is RS ever going to produce more Freeride oriented products or what?

  2. #2
    gnar, brah
    Reputation: Andrewpalooza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,861
    Quote Originally Posted by MicroHuck
    Are they for sure getting motion control damping? I would consider a 133-178mm Boxxer ride if it had MCD instead of the crappy HC2.

    Is RS ever going to produce more Freeride oriented products or what?
    Yeah...big gap in their product line.

    R/S has:

    XC race -- SID

    XC/Trail -- Reba and a host of others joining it (3 or so...)

    AM/Trail -- Pike

    DH Race -- Boxxer

    RockShox is missing the whole freeride market, both with a long-travel single crown (six inches at least please) and a reputable freeride DC fork. The Boxxer is awesome if you baby it, but most freeriders are just looking for reliable 'set it and forget it' type stuff.
    Trestle Bike Park

  3. #3
    hands up who wants to die
    Reputation: rpet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,405
    a Boxxer with the Pike-type dampening and wind-down travel would be soooo versatile!

    -r

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MicroHuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewpalooza
    Yeah...big gap in their product line.

    R/S has:

    XC race -- SID

    XC/Trail -- Reba and a host of others joining it (3 or so...)

    AM/Trail -- Pike

    DH Race -- Boxxer

    RockShox is missing the whole freeride market, both with a long-travel single crown (six inches at least please) and a reputable freeride DC fork. The Boxxer is awesome if you baby it, but most freeriders are just looking for reliable 'set it and forget it' type stuff.
    That's what I'm sayin. RS is missing out on one huge market segment.

    What they need to make is a 34mm stanchion, sub 6 lb, 130-175mm Uturn, MCD, single crown fork.

    Although the Pike is working fine as a Lighter Freeride fork, it doesn't have enough travel and beef to be a 15-20 footer type FR fork. If they make a longer travel FR fork they will have to increase stanchion siize.

    IMO, the Boxxer isn't quite good enough as a full blown big air FR fork. It could use larger stanchions and thicker lowers (Thick stickers don't count!!!).

    How do we go about hounding RS to make them realize that there's a huge need for adjustable travel long single crown forks?? I'm going to send them an email asking about this. They would own a huge part of the FR single crown market if they could offer something with the Pike's reliability, but with larger stanchions and longer travel.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MicroHuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by rpet
    a Boxxer with the Pike-type dampening and wind-down travel would be soooo versatile!

    -r
    aparently that might happen. Seeing as how even the lowest line models are gettting motion control damping I would be willing to say it's a 100% chance we will see MCD in the Boxxer ride with 133-178mm of uturn travel.

    I would already own one if it wasn't for the crappy damping. IS there any way to put the World Cup High/Low speed adjustable damping into the other boxxers?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by MicroHuck
    That's what I'm sayin. RS is missing out on one huge market segment.

    What they need to make is a 34mm stanchion, sub 6 lb, 130-175mm Uturn, MCD, single crown fork.
    YES!!! I would buy this in a second.

    I also want an 8"-5" Uturn ride with descent damping and better seals.

  7. #7
    gnar, brah
    Reputation: Andrewpalooza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,861
    Even if they do pull their heads out of their collective a$$es we won't be seeing any products until at least 2007...
    Trestle Bike Park

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by MicroHuck
    aparently that might happen. Seeing as how even the lowest line models are gettting motion control damping I would be willing to say it's a 100% chance we will see MCD in the Boxxer ride with 133-178mm of uturn travel.

    I would already own one if it wasn't for the crappy damping. IS there any way to put the World Cup High/Low speed adjustable damping into the other boxxers?
    You can do this to the race but the ride uturn thing is in the way so I don't think it can be done, or at least hasn't been done yet.

  9. #9
    rider
    Reputation: Ride To The Hills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    265

    06 boxxer

    this is a lighter weight World Cup version - air shock, externally adjustable, 8" travel and sub-7 pounds:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "who vants a mustache ride?"

  10. #10
    crumb
    Reputation: saviorself's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    890
    yeah recently Ive been seeing the motion control stickers on pros dh bikes and I was wondering about that too

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Red Bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,902
    This thread is poopie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

  12. #12
    Innovate or die!
    Reputation: j6105's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    702
    yeah the verdict on boxxers now is they are great if you have mechanic to baby and tune it for DH, or the damping is sh**y and stuff breaks.

    I stopped by the turner booth at sea otter and their mechanic was all over my Fox 40 RC2. He was telling he does at least 6 hours of tuning on each of the teams forks that could be done in 10 minutes by the rider of a fox 40.

    To illustrate that point, earlier this year team turner just had all the internals of their boxxers redone by a suspension company (was it push?).

    Boxxers would be great forks if they had good damping and higher quality small components (i.e. not plastic). small parts may not seem worth 300 bucks to buy a fox 40 RC2, but the thing rockshox has now realized is that a more expensive fork will actually hold up. For now, Viva la Fox!!

    Sadly, people buy boxxers and think they are in love because of initial performance, and then life goes downhill bad and you never buy rockshox again. Great to know they have an air world cup next year, i bet that will feel better .

    A 34mm, easton aluminum (like fox), all aluminum parts, MCD boxxer would be very worthy and put fox out of the game.

    So in short, don't get a boxxer yet.

Similar Threads

  1. What will used Demo's sell for in spring 2006?
    By klein444 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-23-2005, 05:32 PM
  2. Cannondale Darwin 2006?
    By rocky2 in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-23-2005, 03:46 PM
  3. 2006 bikes
    By freerider_54 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-01-2005, 09:23 AM
  4. Sram testing 2006 kit on 5 Spot
    By Mr Pink in forum Turner
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-31-2005, 12:21 PM
  5. stumpjumper changes for 2006?
    By Austin in forum Specialized
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-28-2005, 07:25 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.