Anyone here use a Specialized Hardrock for urban / freeride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Anyone here use a Specialized Hardrock for urban / freeride?

I bought a used one a while back, and just changed out the fork from the stock Spinner 100 to a Manitou Splice 100 / 130. This raises the front end about 1.5". While the bike sees a little bit of urban, what I do is probably comparable to AM riding.

Anyone have issues with the head tube by running a longer travel fork?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    A friend of mine used a Rockhopper (I think it's a small step up from the Hardrock) for "all mountain riding" and he ran a Talas 130mm fork on it without issues for years. Eventually he snapped the rear triangle..... seeing as how he was hucking it off 3-5ft drops to flat.

But yeah, although it probably won't steer aswell, the headtube shouldn't have trouble accommodating running a 130mm fork.

mtbr member
    I ran a Giant XTC with a coil 140mm fork for 6 months, it's OK for a while but save a up for a new frame in the long run as the head tube angle is too steep and liable to send you OTB, as well as the stresses on the frame could cause cracking, it's not a suicidal as some people seem to think though. A slacker FS bike is the way to go IMO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    It's not my main ride - it's more like my commuter bike. My commute just happens to involve stairs and small drops. The head angle is relatively slack for a hardtail (70 degrees stock, probably more like 68.5 to 69 with the longer fork.

I totally agree, though - my FS would be ideal. However, I wouldn't feel quite as comfortable locking that one up outside work.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by bikedreamer View Post
    Anyone have issues with the head tube by running a longer travel fork?

Thanks
    I've seen a lot of people do horrible things to Hardrocks and they just don't seem to fail. Inspect the head tube frequently but you'll probably be fine.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    If it's Urban you are doing than a 2nd hand Giant STP type frame might be more what you are after.

mtbr member
    What year is it? I have an 04 Hardrock, that I've had forever and the geometry for it is actually pretty damn slack. My gf uses it now, but when I bought it new I used it for urban all the time, and a lot of AM riding too. I ended up breaking and replacing almost every component on it before I upgraded bikes a few years later, but that frame is still in perfect shape. I absolutely tortured that bike on the front range of Colorado, and it held up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mudforlunch View Post
    What year is it? I have an 04 Hardrock, that I've had forever and the geometry for it is actually pretty damn slack. My gf uses it now, but when I bought it new I used it for urban all the time, and a lot of AM riding too. I ended up breaking and replacing almost every component on it before I upgraded bikes a few years later, but that frame is still in perfect shape. I absolutely tortured that bike on the front range of Colorado, and it held up.
    Truth be told, I'm not certain what year it is. I'm guessing about an '05 to '07.

mtbr member
    I rode an '06 Hardrock for a couple years of urban bashing (actually still have the frame hanging on my wall). I had a 140mm fork on it for two years and had no problems. The paint job on the 06's had the dripping paint look to them if that helps you figure it out.