Anyone gotten this noise? Brake rotors?- Mtbr.com
    Master of Beat

Anyone gotten this noise? Brake rotors?

I just got my bike togethor this sunday, and i've noticed that when I carve a sharp bend or sometimes roll fast (on the road) I can hear this noise. It sounds like it is my brake rotors but I can't be sure. It sounds like a tenstioned piece of metal slightly rubbing/tapping something. Its not overly loud and can really only hear it when its quiet out. Its still making me wonder though. I had a similar problem on my hardtail when I carved bends but it was the tire hitting the chainstays.I have no idea what this could be though other than the pads in the caliper possibly being loose (BB7's)

Theres a pic if it helps give you any ideas
    Le Bicycle

I heart bikes
    Jan 2004
    Its not uncommon for brake rotors to rub on the pad when cornering. I have heard its because of flex. I think forks with a bolt on axle are less prone to this because they are stiffer.
    Try pushing the pads apart, then center your caliper. Bend out any wobbles in your rotor.
    www.suckcreek.com

mtbr member
    Yep it's flex. I have the same issue w/ my 8-inch rotors on my new bike. I only notice this happen on the road though. I don't hear it out in the trails.

Meh.
    You can't push apart the pads on a BB7. It's mechanical. You can set the pads so that they're further apart, which means that the rotor has to flex over further in order to deflect off of the pads. That also means that the lever has to travel further though.

As mentioned, try centering your caliper. Make sure that there's no looseness in the hub or in any pivot points (if it's the rear brake on a squish).

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbman4
    Its not uncommon for brake rotors to rub on the pad when cornering. I have heard its because of flex. I think forks with a bolt on axle are less prone to this because they are stiffer.
    Try pushing the pads apart, then center your caliper. Bend out any wobbles in your rotor.
    yep flex....reset the pads
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    i had that happen to me...i didnt do anything to fix it but it just went away
    IS THIS SOMETHING YOU CAN SHARE WITH THE REST OF US AMAZING LARRY ?!?!?!

aircooled VW FTW

Disco-Superfly
    My little brother uses the BB5 with those same rotors, I can NEVER seem to make them quiet while set up the way they should be. (the inner pad as close to the rotor as possbile without drag or extreme noise, and the other pad where he wants it for lever pull.) that is so the rotor isnt being pushed over to the other pad, making un-even pad wear. It also gives a more solid lever feel, which is missing in most mech. brakes...

Cleaning them only works for a few mins... I can make them shutup, but then they are not setup ideally....
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    yep flex....reset the pads
    It's mechanical... You can't reset the pistons... You have to adjust static pad position and cable tension...

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    My little brother uses the BB5 with those same rotors, I can NEVER seem to make them quiet while set up the way they should be. (the inner pad as close to the rotor as possbile without drag or extreme noise, and the other pad where he wants it for lever pull.) that is so the rotor isnt being pushed over to the other pad, making un-even pad wear. It also gives a more solid lever feel, which is missing in most mech. brakes...

Cleaning them only works for a few mins... I can make them shutup, but then they are not setup ideally....
    If you want it to stop deflecting off the inner pad, you'll have to back the inner pad off. It will not give you as crisp a feel, but it gives a larger tolerance for flex.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    It's mechanical... You can't reset the pistons... You have to adjust static pad position and cable tension...

yep adjust cable tension
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Peace Coast Style
    Got the same problem on my 185mm BB7 Front Disc. Rubs like crazy. Bike shop checked it out because I didn't want to lose the modulation and power and said they need to be worn in. It cant be it though because I've ridden the bike over 150 miles with that brake. I gotta have him check it out again. Also, when modulating the rear brake, it makes a liquidy sound. Rears a BB5 BTW. Its on a '06 FSRXC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14
    Ever slip a pedal and slam into the seat? That little thing would disappear until I later got to the ER.

Members who have read this thread: 0