Anyone ever dealt with fox racing shox CS?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Anyone ever dealt with fox racing shox CS?

So far I've been trying to contact them all week. They dont return emails, they dont answer their phone (been sent to their voicemail for call back info more times than I can count... none of which I've been called back about).

are fox racing shox employees unobtanium or what?
    "What would happen to the Weather Channel's ratings if people werent scared anymore?"

Glad to Be Alive
    I never had a problem....what shock to you have...if you are out of warranty then I would send it to www.pushindustries.com they will set it up for your weight and riding style...talk to Darren or one of the techs
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

kona-tize me captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonk0u
    So far I've been trying to contact them all week. They dont return emails, they dont answer their phone (been sent to their voicemail for call back info more times than I can count... none of which I've been called back about).

try to get some help from here [email protected] i sent them an email about gettin a catalog. i got an email back the next day sayign they would ship one out to me, so who knows whats going on there
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Overworked & ubderstaffed, thats the word I got from Fox and other sources.

My LBS had been trying for days to get a hold of someone at Fox with no luck. We (I) called them constantly trying to reach someone in CS and kept getting VM or the receptionist. The receptionsit said the computers were down and that was the problem. I explained to her that computers are not always needed to handle a CS issue, pen and paper work fine. I asked to to find someone to go and get someone from CS on the phone or we (I'll) just keep calling back until I get some help. Ten minutes later we got a call back, issue resolved.

This was all brought on by the fact that Fox shipped my LBS a fork for a customer, who also ordered a heavy spring with it but received a light spring instead (same one that comes in the box ). Plus they overcharged us for shipping.

FYI if it's parts you need, you can also try contacting PUSH. They carry most Fox parts for forx and shox.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I dealt a bunch with Fox over the last few months and never had a problem contacting them. After a few failed repairs, they even hooked me up with basically a new shock despite it being beyond the warranty date.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    day 5.....

still not answering phone
    still not returning email
    still not returing voice mail

...sigh
    "What would happen to the Weather Channel's ratings if people werent scared anymore?"

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    day 5.....

still not answering phone
    still not returning email
    still not returing voice mail

...sigh
    Get aggro with the operator if you can reach her. Offer to make her day as annoying as possible, gonna keep calling back every minute until you can talk to someone, and ask her to have someone go get someone in CS. And don't take any [email protected] about PC problems, they can at least take your info on paper and resolve your problem. It worked for me, read my post above.

TNC
    noMAD man
    I just called them ref to shop business for ordering parts and such. I think they work a little better when you go through a shop. They give shops inside numbers to individuals that we just call direct. Obviously if you don't have a shop that makes an effort to provide good service, they may not make much of an effort to call and get you what you need. I think they return phone messages to shops much quicker also, for obvious reasons. Frankly I don't see how companies like Fox or any of the others can deal with individuals with quick consistent service issues. Can you imagine the number of calls that must involve? If they want you to go through dealer shops, this often minimizes the number of problems that get through to them because many of them would get handled at the local level. To some this might smack of avoidance of CS to their clientele, but realistically the first level of information and diagnosis should be at a bike shop level. If it can't be handled there, then the shop calls and gets info or orders necessary parts to take care of the problem.

Zonkou, I don't think you're in that category, but you know there are some real goobers calling up manufacturers of all kinds with endless, simple questions that an LBS should probably address first. I do understand that there are some real goodbers at some of the bike shops that can't do their job, but some of this CS just comes down to sheer numbers of inquiries vs. ability to respond. We could easily say that perhaps they should hire more personnel to address this myriad of questions and service requests, but how would this affect the already high price of all this schwag we lust after...LOL! I equate some of this to an example of a vehicle problem one might have with their GM car. They can't/won't hardly deal with any individual on a vehicle problem without first going through a dealer. Logically this makes sense in the fact that someone with eyes and hands on the problem should first make some kind of assessment, answer the questions, or fix the problem. Logistically it's not reasonable for GM to do it any other way except in the most unusual circumstances.

I realize that the bike industry isn't GM, but some of the logistical issues apply to both. Yesterday I called our inside number to Manitou to deal with a customer's warranty issue. It took one phone call that resulted in an upgraded fork being sent to deal with the customer's service need. Can Manitou be as open or trustworthy with warranty claims or other service issues with a customer's diagnosis when done without a shop's assessment?...probably not as a rule. Zonkou, I know this is a bigger issue than what I've touched on here, obviously, but CS is usually a balancing act by manufacturers trying to provide individual one-on-one care while trying to provide real service to all their customers as a whole. There's no simple answer, but often I think many of them would do better by just stating that a customer needs to go through a shop first before claiming to offer real one-on-one service that they cannot possibly provide which often causes a perception just like yours...which is quite understandable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sorry dude, can't agree with you on take it the LBS first. Because in my neck of the woods, freeride is almost unheard of and unsupported. There are few shops here that actually service forks (even for the XC crowd) or even disk brakes. Take a fork to a LBS here and expect to pay a premium to have them box it up and ship it off for service (when they feel like getting around to it). For the longest time you couldn't even find a set of disc pads or fork oil in stock anywhere in town (and we have probably 30+ bike shops). Most of the shops have teenagers for mechanics. I can do it better and faster myself and when I do have a question I don't want to go to an LBS only to have them treat me with their know-it-all attitudes or want to charge me $50 an hour for shop labor.

And tell me when the last time any shop sent a mechanic to get training on how to service any fork (Marz, Manitou, Rock Shox, whatever). It doesn't happen. So you can't compare it to working on cars where dealers have trained staff--not teenagers.

TNC
    noMAD man

Yeah, that's why I said...

Quote Originally Posted by WaveDude
    Sorry dude, can't agree with you on take it the LBS first. Because in my neck of the woods, freeride is almost unheard of and unsupported. There are few shops here that actually service forks (even for the XC crowd) or even disk brakes. Take a fork to a LBS here and expect to pay a premium to have them box it up and ship it off for service (when they feel like getting around to it). For the longest time you couldn't even find a set of disc pads or fork oil in stock anywhere in town (and we have probably 30+ bike shops). Most of the shops have teenagers for mechanics. I can do it better and faster myself and when I do have a question I don't want to go to an LBS only to have them treat me with their know-it-all attitudes or want to charge me $50 an hour for shop labor.

And tell me when the last time any shop sent a mechanic to get training on how to service any fork (Marz, Manitou, Rock Shox, whatever). It doesn't happen. So you can't compare it to working on cars where dealers have trained staff--not teenagers.
    There are goobers working at bike shops too...LOL!...and not that we're always perfect at our place. I guess I look at their situation at different manufacturer's service sections and wonder how they deal with that many different individuals...especially the probably high number of people who'd be calling with little knowledge about diagnosing their problem. I guess that's one advantage of a website like MTBR...maybe get a little info about the problem or question before calling the manufacturer.

I also worked part time at a motorcycle shop for 15 years, and those manufacturers wouldn't/couldn't deal direct with customers. You got me thinking about how many forks/shocks any given company might sell a year, OEM and aftermarket, and how that would relate to how many customer service calls they would get a year...seems like it would be huge. And I can tell from having called most suspension company's service departments from the shop that they don't have some huge staff. Heck, you even get to know some of them on a first name basis. Well, I guess that's why the return responses from some of these companies can take so long.

On that factory or outside training, frankly I don't know many mechanics that I've worked around over the years, including me, who received any such training...even in the motorcycle realm. We did have the infrequent visit from a tech rep with a given company who would give a short in-house training session on a particular issue. It seems that most mechanics, even some of the best, just developed as enthusiasts who enjoyed and had a talent for picking up repair, service, and modification issues. You're also right about a lot of the folks at a bike shop being high school or college kids...though I've seen some who were quite talented mechanics.

mtbr member

Good job! No complaints with Fox CS

I work in a bike shop. I have been dealing with Fox all week. We sent a fork in right at Thanksgiving, and with the holiday everything got backed up.

Called Mon to find out status on the warranty. Left a message with Jason's VM. He called me back that afternoon. Said it was being processed but he didn't have any further info on it.

Called Tues to get the status. Left another VM. Jason called back that afternoon to tell me it was being processed and would ship back to us that day or the next.

Wednesday the RA# still showed that it had not shipped. I call Jason again and leave another message. I'm paranoid that my customer will be without his fork for a third weekend (!!!). Jason calls to tell me it is shipping that day, and that a tracking number will be generated within the hour. As of closing time, still no tracking number.

Thursday morning I look up the RA on Fox's website, get re-directed to UPS. The fork is en route and will be at the main shop (I'm at a sattelite) on Friday (today).

Today the customer calls me. The fork is at the main shop and will be installed on his bike tomorrow morning, so he'll have it for most of the weekend.

If anything, I want to commend Jason (and Fox Racing Shox in general) for treating every little call from a panicked shop manager like it was the only call he'd received that day. I imagine there are dozens of us.

I don't know why you haven't been able to get through. Whenever I call, I usually get voice mail, but I leave my name, shop name, account number, phone number, and RA number. In my experience Fox has always been good to work with.

-sunny

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Finally got emails back today from two different people. I got an inside extension and that really helped out. I got everything squared away with Jason, but dayum, they must be busy. Made my order today and was kinda bumbed to hear it's not going to ship out till monday. Oh well I cant really complain when shipping's only gonna take a day with ground. (all I wanted to do was order a spring)

I avoided the whole bike shop because they said it'd be a week and a half before they could get it (as is with anything they order which is why I do most of my shopping online and tend to only hit the LBS up for little convenience stuff like tubes and lubes)

man I've been jonesin SO bad to take the new Coiler out on a proper spring (800lbs) instead of garaging it in fear of dammaging something with the 550lb spring that it came with. Man It's been almost 3 weeks now
    Last edited by Zonk0u; 12-09-2005 at 08:05 PM.

TNC
    noMAD man

Shop treatment?

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyracegirl
    I work in a bike shop. I have been dealing with Fox all week. We sent a fork in right at Thanksgiving, and with the holiday everything got backed up.

Called Mon to find out status on the warranty. Left a message with Jason's VM. He called me back that afternoon. Said it was being processed but he didn't have any further info on it.

Called Tues to get the status. Left another VM. Jason called back that afternoon to tell me it was being processed and would ship back to us that day or the next.

Wednesday the RA# still showed that it had not shipped. I call Jason again and leave another message. I'm paranoid that my customer will be without his fork for a third weekend (!!!). Jason calls to tell me it is shipping that day, and that a tracking number will be generated within the hour. As of closing time, still no tracking number.

Thursday morning I look up the RA on Fox's website, get re-directed to UPS. The fork is en route and will be at the main shop (I'm at a sattelite) on Friday (today).

Today the customer calls me. The fork is at the main shop and will be installed on his bike tomorrow morning, so he'll have it for most of the weekend.

If anything, I want to commend Jason (and Fox Racing Shox in general) for treating every little call from a panicked shop manager like it was the only call he'd received that day. I imagine there are dozens of us.

I don't know why you haven't been able to get through. Whenever I call, I usually get voice mail, but I leave my name, shop name, account number, phone number, and RA number. In my experience Fox has always been good to work with.

-sunny
    Yeah, that's the kind of dealings we have with Fox and others typically, but I think they do call shops back more quickly and seem to be easier to contact when we call. At Fox, Jason, Josh, and others have been great to deal with.

ride hard take risks
    Yup as TNC & Sunnyracergirl said the shops get beter service than Joe Average. I worked at a MC dealer & never had a problem with them. Major key dealer # & name.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Getting very frustrated and close to fed up!

So after a week of trying to get a hold of anyone at the shop I finally get in touch by having an email I sent at the beginning of the week replied to with an inside extension. So I went ahead and ordered the spring on friday thinking "hey it'll go out this afternoon I should get it saturday and be riding sunday! Alright! Score! Finally get to ride my new bike after staring at it for a bleeping month"

Nope that wasnt the case, Jason said that it'd ship out monday, and I'd get it on Tuesday. I was content enough with that, understanding how busy they are, but Tuesday comes, and no spring in the mail. "whisky tango foxtrot" I think to myself, Im only 2 hours away from the damn place how long does it take to ship?! I called them This afternoon with my tracking number to find that it DIDNT ship out on monday, but it went out tuesday afternoon!

Fine! I'll get home and I'll have my spring waiting for me on the doorstep and I can finally go out for my first ride tonight. Well I get home, and yes the spring had shown up! I get all excited and dont even change clothes from work to run out to the garage to swap out the springs. Low and behold they sent me the WRONG bleeping spring! the Spring I need 800x2.29 to replace the 550x2.29 was not sent, instead I got an 800x2.3 A full 3/4 of an inch TOO LONG! So now I've got to deal with shipping this feking spring back to them and waiting for the RIGHT one! UGHHH! I've been seriously contemplating between a fox36 and a pikeSL to replace the POS Drop Off on my bike, and this little doozie AINT helping fox out at ALL.

Im going to call there tomorrow and demand that they send me the right spring, Over-night, along with labels for me to ship the WRONG spring back to them!

sigh... all I want to do is ride my bike... is that really too much to ask?

ride hard take risks
    Are you serious, 2 hour drive away? With all you have been going through you could have been there in someones face asking for a spring & out the door with a grinn! Not that the lack of attention is correct, it's rude & inconsiderate & like you said makes you think about switching brands. But the other brand might do the same thing. The other option would have been to go through your LBS.

TNC
    noMAD man

You realize that...

ZonkOu...sigh... all I want to do is ride my bike... is that really too much to ask? [/QUOTE]

You are cursed, don't you? Man, that is one bad run of luck. I know I'm probably stating the obvious, but you tried the 2.3 spring? I'm only saying that because several of my shocks in the past were very capable of running much longer springs than required because their shock bodies easily accomodated the longer spring. The most important issue is that there is enough stroke length built into the spring and that it fit between your spring retainers. There's not a chance that Fox sent that spring because it will fit your shock, is there? Zonk, what shock is this spring for on your Coiler, and what are its dimensions?
    Last edited by TNC; 12-14-2005 at 10:12 PM. Reason: text

Meh.
    So after a week of trying to get a hold of anyone at the shop I finally get in touch by having an email I sent at the beginning of the week replied to with an inside extension. So I went ahead and ordered the spring on friday thinking "hey it'll go out this afternoon I should get it saturday and be riding sunday! Alright! Score! Finally get to ride my new bike after staring at it for a bleeping month"

Nope that wasnt the case, Jason said that it'd ship out monday, and I'd get it on Tuesday. I was content enough with that, understanding how busy they are, but Tuesday comes, and no spring in the mail. "whisky tango foxtrot" I think to myself, Im only 2 hours away from the damn place how long does it take to ship?! I called them This afternoon with my tracking number to find that it DIDNT ship out on monday, but it went out tuesday afternoon!

Fine! I'll get home and I'll have my spring waiting for me on the doorstep and I can finally go out for my first ride tonight. Well I get home, and yes the spring had shown up! I get all excited and dont even change clothes from work to run out to the garage to swap out the springs. Low and behold they sent me the WRONG bleeping spring! the Spring I need 800x2.29 to replace the 550x2.29 was not sent, instead I got an 800x2.3 A full 3/4 of an inch TOO LONG! So now I've got to deal with shipping this feking spring back to them and waiting for the RIGHT one! UGHHH! I've been seriously contemplating between a fox36 and a pikeSL to replace the POS Drop Off on my bike, and this little doozie AINT helping fox out at ALL.

Im going to call there tomorrow and demand that they send me the right spring, Over-night, along with labels for me to ship the WRONG spring back to them!

sigh... all I want to do is ride my bike... is that really too much to ask?
    You should demand they overnight the right spring to you, and send your spring to me. You should actually be able to use the slightly longer spring on your shock, since it has a TON of threads on the body.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    ZonkOu...sigh... all I want to do is ride my bike... is that really too much to ask?
    You are cursed, don't you? Man, that is one bad run of luck. I know I'm probably stating the obvious, but you tried the 2.3 spring? I'm only saying that because several of my shocks in the past were very capable of running much longer springs than required because their shock bodies easily accomodated the longer spring. The most important issue is that there is enough stroke length built into the spring and that it fit between your spring retainers. There's not a chance that Fox sent that spring because it will fit your shock, is there? Zonk, what shock is this spring for on your Coiler, and what are its dimensions?[/QUOTE]ZonkOu listen to the words of wisdom, TNC has the experiance & knowledge to help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    You should demand they overnight the right spring to you, and send your spring to me. You should actually be able to use the slightly longer spring on your shock, since it has a TON of threads on the body.
    nope. if it actually fit, this wouldnt be an issue. I tried threading the cap back on, but there wasnt enough room to catch threads, much less get all the cap threads on so it doesnt just rip off the top and cause a ton of dammage.

the spring that came on the bike was 550x2.29, the spring they sent me was an 800x2.3 (which come out to be exactly 3/4" longer and incompatable) this is on a fox vanilla-r 2"x7.875"

Oh, and another rant.... why the hell does it cost $10 to ship a tiny fawking spring from Santa Cruz (watsonville whatever) to the East bay?
    Last edited by Zonk0u; 12-14-2005 at 11:35 PM.

Riding dirt since 1970

Agreed...

Quote Originally Posted by WaveDude

I think we're both in Houston. There's no excuse for that CS BS, especially since they sell the most overpriced junk out there. I've been riding Zokies since '99 and have never experienced anything that bad. Unbelieveable. I feel for ya, dude
    Med. V10.5 for sale

Flowtronic engineer
    I think that 800 x 2.3 will work. To get the cap on you'll have to put the spring in a vise, to slightly compress it, then zip tie with some beefy ties, or toe clip straps will work too, close your eyes, upen the vise, pop it on the shock, get the cap on, thread it down a few and pop what ever fastener you are using.

Sunnyrace girl works at a gigantic shop and mailorder house if I remember correctly...they buy lots of Fox stuff and get really good treatment. I've had ok treatment calling from a few different LBS over the past few years, but the unanswered phone is a frequent problem over the past 6 months or so it seems. One of the CS guys mentioned whose name doesn't ryhme with "nosh" has consistently been really short and not very helpful in my experience, but I think its probably because hes pummeled by his work load.
    I really identify with you...SO MUCH.

"Feelin stupid? I know I am."
    "You just have to forget everything you know about gravity."
    H. Simpson

TNC
    noMAD man

Hey Zonk

nope. if it actually fit, this wouldnt be an issue. I tried threading the cap back on, but there wasnt enough room to catch threads, much less get all the cap threads on so it doesnt just rip off the top and cause a ton of dammage.

the spring that came on the bike was 550x2.29, the spring they sent me was an 800x2.3 (which come out to be exactly 3/4" longer and incompatable) this is on a fox vanilla-r 2"x7.875"

Oh, and another rant.... why the hell does it cost $10 to ship a tiny fawking spring from Santa Cruz (watsonville whatever) to the East bay?
    I found a pic of your Coiler, and it does look pretty close on that spring, being that it's a 2.29 spring in that pic. It looks close, at least in the pic, between the rocker plate and the shock in that threaded area also. I've used 2.3 springs on a 7.875 X 2.25 Vanilla RC before, but mine looked like they had more clearance and shock body room than that pic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    I found a pic of your Coiler, and it does look pretty close on that spring, being that it's a 2.29 spring in that pic. It looks close, at least in the pic, between the rocker plate and the shock in that threaded area also. I've used 2.3 springs on a 7.875 X 2.25 Vanilla RC before, but mine looked like they had more clearance and shock body room than that pic.
    see that's the difference if I had a 2.25 stroke vanilla-r it'd be non issue, but I've only got the 2" stroke model. Calling fox as we speak....

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shabadu
    I think that 800 x 2.3 will work. To get the cap on you'll have to put the spring in a vise, to slightly compress it, then zip tie with some beefy ties, or toe clip straps will work too, close your eyes, upen the vise, pop it on the shock, get the cap on, thread it down a few and pop what ever fastener you are using.
    howbout no. Im not going to force something to work when I paid good money for the right part, and should have the right part in the first place.

well I called them up and they dont make an 800x2.29... only a 750 and an 850, so they're shipping me the 850 overnight and sending a parcel pickup for the wrong one.

Props to fox for righting a wrong.
    Last edited by Zonk0u; 12-15-2005 at 01:25 PM.

Flowtronic engineer
    howbout no. Im not going to force something to work when I paid good money for the right part, and should have the right part in the first place.

well I called them up and they dont make an 800x2.29... only a 750 and an 850, so they're shipping me the 850 overnight and sending a parcel pickup for the wrong one.

Props to fox for righting a wrong.
    Cool, but remember this move, I think you might still need to use it.
    I really identify with you...SO MUCH.

"Feelin stupid? I know I am."
    "You just have to forget everything you know about gravity."
    H. Simpson

Members who have read this thread: 0