Anyone diggin there Zoch 55??- Mtbr.com
    shoes

New question here. Anyone diggin there Zoch 55??

HELP! Looking at some forks, its a close call between the domain 318 and the 55ETA.
    The crows kept calling his name, thought Caw. - Jack Handy

N* Bomber Crew
    Grammatically Correct Version of your Thread Title:

"Does anyone enjoy their Marzocchi 55 Suspension Fork?"
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

General Rabble-Rouser
    dood, the 55 is chock full o gnartastic jibness

But seriously, I've taken a spin on the ETA and the ATA Very smooth fork, the coil took hits well.

Just check the oil height

mtbr member
    bullit21 has one. he's had some problems with it out of the box. marzo has been helpful. it seems par for Mar these days to require factory service right off the shelf. fork feels good otherwise. the travel adjust was working on its own and he was dropping travel mid ride. looks like there are some set screws that can be adjusted to fix this. we will see how it holds up on sunday.

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mandown
    bullit21 has one. he's had some problems with it out of the box. marzo has been helpful. it seems par for Mar these days to require factory service right off the shelf. fork feels good otherwise. the travel adjust was working on its own and he was dropping travel mid ride. looks like there are some set screws that can be adjusted to fix this. we will see how it holds up on sunday.
    was this the 55 ata?
    I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by mandown
    Yeah, see "Winding Down Problem", all ATA systems apparently have it, and alas, Marzocchi didn't fix it with the 08 models.

Two fixes: Quick Fix takes 60 seconds. You use a set screw and lock the travel in place and collapse the ATA Spring. Note that ATA no long works with the "Quick Fix". Longer Fix takes a hour or so, requires resetting the ATA spring.

Pick your poison.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

My arm hurts a little
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    Yeah, see "Winding Down Problem", all ATA systems apparently have it, and alas, Marzocchi didn't fix it with the 08 models.

Two fixes: Quick Fix takes 60 seconds. You use a set screw and lock the travel in place and collapse the ATA Spring. Note that ATA no long works with the "Quick Fix". Longer Fix takes a hour or so, requires resetting the ATA spring.

Pick your poison.
    That and the MZ QR 20mm sucks ass!!!! My friend has been riding one for a while and the QR lock position spins a couple degrees every ride. Right now it's running even with the ground, sticking forward.

He likes the fork but hate's the QR with a passion.
    Hardtail downhill
    https://youtu.be/sXhWDoz7_CM
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life

StraightOuttaCompton
    That and the MZ QR 20mm sucks ass!!!! My friend has been riding one for a while and the QR lock position spins a couple degrees every ride. Right now it's running even with the ground, sticking forward.

tell him to get a thru axle, i have one and have had no problems with it.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

My arm hurts a little
    Quote Originally Posted by Djponee
    tell him to get a thru axle, i have one and have had no problems with it.
    I didn't know you could swap. I thought 1 side was threaded or had an insert. But yah he'd be stoked on that.
    Hardtail downhill

General Rabble-Rouser
    Quote Originally Posted by #1ORBUST
    I didn't know you could swap. I thought 1 side was threaded or had an insert. But yah he'd be stoked on that.

you can't afaik...

mtbr member
    Doesnt the new 20mmQR have some sort of a ratchet mechanism that you just keep twisting till it gets to the point you want (it makes a scary snapping sound but that is just it advising proper torque)?

My arm hurts a little
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    Doesnt the new 20mmQR have some sort of a ratchet mechanism that you just keep twisting till it gets to the point you want (it makes a scary snapping sound but that is just it advising proper torque)?
    Yah he can't adj. it. It dose the snap then just sits there tight and he can't put it where he wants to.

I just dropped them off for a ride, he should be back in a sec. All have him post.
    Hardtail downhill

mtbr member
    Huh, something is not right - you should be able to make it snap a bunch of times till it gets to the spot you want. I would contact Marzocchi if it wont.

Yah he can't adj. it. It dose the snap then just sits there tight and he can't put it where he wants to.

I just dropped them off for a ride, he should be back in a sec. All have him post.

mtbr member

Once the lever "clicks" into the locked positon, you can keep turning it and it will click every few degrees or so untill you have the lever facing whatever dirrection you want.

My arm hurts a little
    Quote Originally Posted by Danimal1
    Once the lever "clicks" into the locked positon, you can keep turning it and it will click every few degrees or so untill you have the lever facing whatever dirrection you want.
    Yah i know what its supposed to do. It doesn't do that though.

once it clicks you can put 200lb of pressure on it and it won't move.
    Hardtail downhill

StraightOuttaCompton
    oh, ya forgot about that. Sorry.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

shoes
    So any good words about the domain??? Or should I go with the 55ETA

mtbr member
    Domains are good, I like mine. The coil u-turn works like a charm.

Roll on Spring Time!
    how supply is the domain compared to the marz forks. i am riding a 66rc2x 170mm and think it is amazing but the A2C is too high for my new frames geo. i would like something at 150mm. the domain is real tempting but i havent seen anyone riding one to see how supple it is, its listed as a freeride fork so i am sure there will be no problem on big hits. the option of running 140mm to 160mm for me would be perfect though.
    I just want to ride.

EastBaySteez
    Rb has one, he likes it as far as I can tell and hes trying to sell it too.
    From when I rode it in the parking lot it felt great. I think of it as a mini totem.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

Its got what plants crave
    I ride a Domain, it's pretty plush but I haven't ridden a 55 to compare. After the ATA issues and my experience with an AM1, in addition to what I've read about problems with certain hubs and improperly threaded lowers, I'm staying away from Marz for a while. Their quality control sucks. Their customer service was okay for me at least. My Domain has been flawless other than a small oil leak due to a loose plug on the lower.

Registered Jong
    Quote Originally Posted by scrwscrnnms
    So any good words about the domain??? Or should I go with the 55ETA
    Obviously by the sound of the previous posts i would get a domain. Motion control is amazing. Imo the best dampening system on the market. Buddy has had one on his new bullit and loves it to death. I would take a domain over a 55 any day.

shoes
    how does the coil u turn work?

mtbr member
    The u-turn works just by twisting the nob, every complete turn you twist, it goes down about 10mm. so you really have any sized fork you want from 115mm to 160mm. Best of all if you shrink them down they'll stay down (unlike some other forks) and the compression works great too, w/ every click you can actually tell the difference.
    But just like all things some people have had their issues these forks too.I haven't.
    I think if you weigh between 120 to 180lbs the Domains should work great!

shoes
    What year is your domain? I would like one with black stancions as well

sixsixtysix
    Zoke is also having a bunch of problems with bushings in their 08 forks. I have seen a couple 55's and 66's where the bushings develop massive amounts of slop in them after just a few rides.

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    wel i got an 08 55 ata on the way so i will let you guys know after a ride or something if anything is fubarred
    I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...

mtbr member
    its an 07. the 318 u-turn says they come in black, white and diffusion black. if you order them just specify.

Quote Originally Posted by Terminator Z
    The u-turn works just by twisting the nob, every complete turn you twist, it goes down about 10mm. so you really have any sized fork you want from 115mm to 160mm. Best of all if you shrink them down they'll stay down (unlike some other forks) and the compression works great too, w/ every click you can actually tell the difference.
    But just like all things some people have had their issues these forks too.I haven't.
    I think if you weigh between 120 to 180lbs the Domains should work great!

If you weigh 150 or less I'd recommend the soft spring, and I fail to see why somebody over 180 wouldn't work with the fork either. It's bombproof steel, it would be tough to break. The uturn is definitely better than whatever craptastic system Marz WAS using but I don't know if it's changed for 08 or not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    If you weigh 150 or less I'd recommend the soft spring, and I fail to see why somebody over 180 wouldn't work with the fork either. It's bombproof steel, it would be tough to break. The uturn is definitely better than whatever craptastic system Marz WAS using but I don't know if it's changed for 08 or not.
    I agree, I weight about 165lbs w/gear, and the stock springs work great, and considering the compression settings, I dont see how someone could complain that the forks are too plush(you would have to be one heavy dude)

but.. the most complaints I've heard about the forks is that they're too soft or too hard, coming from small guys and heavy guys. which leads me to believe that there might be some sort of a "sweet spot" weight wise. what ever, I love the forks.

shoes
    Thanks, I think i'm going to go with the domain 318. Can you order an 08 domain with black stancions?

Roll on Spring Time!
    thanks for the info fellas. i was watching a set of domains on ebay, listed as ridden 3 times and won them for a "steel". i will be home in 10 days and will ride them back to back with my 66 and decide which will be staying. i hope i like the domain as the 160mm max will be the perfect match for my frame and then 140mm for general play. then i can retire my pikes to my stiffee full time.
    I just want to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Terminator Z
    I agree, I weight about 165lbs w/gear, and the stock springs work great, and considering the compression settings, I dont see how someone could complain that the forks are too plush(you would have to be one heavy dude)

but.. the most complaints I've heard about the forks is that they're too soft or too hard, coming from small guys and heavy guys. which leads me to believe that there might be some sort of a "sweet spot" weight wise. what ever, I love the forks.

Yeah I don't weigh much so I swapped mine for a soft (yellow) spring. It's just right.

Members who have read this thread: 0