Anyone back on Minion Rears- Mtbr.com
    Roll on Spring Time!

Anyone back on Minion Rears

So it seems like the world and its neighbour switch to Minion front on the back but I am wondering if anyone has gone back to rear specific. I have been running HR rear/minion front, minion front/minion front and big betty/muddy mary. I have noticed I really like the the stronger braking characteristics of the HR and Big Betty so since its time pic up some new rubber I am considering a minion rear specific. Rolling resistance is always a concern and a factor so I am wondering who thinks what. I have a 2.35 Minion dual ply rear but its so dam skinny I don think it would give me a fair indication of possible potentials.
    I just want to ride.

i be lurkin
    i have minion rears and imo they rock. rolling resistance isnt great but the traction is superb.
    me: "mom dont ride yer brakes "mom: "shut up"

Now with More Wood
    I run the DHR in the rear (2.5). Lots of grip for sure...and a bit sluggish to pedal around to say the least.
    I ran HRs in the rear previously...I feel like there's more grip in the Minion DHR, and they definitely pedal a bit less well, IMO. But I'm not really an expert...I'm happy with my set-up, I see no need to change it, and I probably don't go hard enough in turns to really be that picky about it. However I trust my tires (DHF/DHR combo) in all situations, from rock to loose over hardpack to semi-wet trails, and that's what matters to me.
    You need to get the opinion of one of the bar-drag boys... :-)
    Definitely interested in hearing what people have to say about running the DHF in the rear, and what they get out of it.
    Last edited by Iceman2058; 12-27-2010 at 12:30 PM.

biking is fun
    I ran DHF front and rear in the past and loved it. They cornered great and definitely gave me more confiedence. You do sacrifice a little on breaking performance but if i can corner better then i can go into corners a little faster and i don't need to be able to slow down as much (in theory of course ha ha)

If its for your jedi then that is the exact combo i settled on in the end.

its always a trade off i guess. Have a faster/better cornering tire or having a slower/better braking tire.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I switched back. Had the DHF on the back facing forward and was sketched on the braking, reversed the tread and performed really well but IMO the DHR just handles and grips better in the tech rocky terrain we ride out in AZ.
    Last edited by azdog; 12-27-2010 at 11:43 AM.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Just wait until you ride our new C2 Tires- built by the same company with the same rubber and construction- with our tread patterns-
    [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Canfield-Brothers-Downhill-BikesC2-Components/163956136971393"]

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared
    Just wait until you ride our new C2 Tires- built by the same company with the same rubber and construction- with our tread patterns-
    Saw it on your bikes at Rampage. The tread pattern looks promising. Excited to try some out!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    So, are you saying that it will be a Maxxis tire with a Minion carcass but Canfield Bros special tread pattern? This should be interesting. Any pics of the prototype available?

To the OP: I've used both the DHR and DHF 2.5 on the rear and like the DHF better, but for the price they are selling the DHRs lately, I'd have to look at going with it again. I didn't think it was too bad.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I found my DHR wore out really quickly, but then again it was rocky. But, during the time I had it, before I got Ardents for a good price, the DHR out back hooked up well.

mtbr member
    How about a small knob, rear specific tread, with freeride sidewall and casing...

Something like a 2.35" Larsen/Small Block 8 clone with thicker sidewall&casing, weighing in at around 850gms, would be a great dry condition all-rounder for the rear (when you have to pedal).

Ghetto tubeless friendly would be a huge plus.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyN
    How about a small knob, rear specific tread, with freeride sidewall and casing...

Something like a 2.35" Larsen/Small Block 8 clone with thicker sidewall&casing, weighing in at around 850gms, would be a great dry condition all-rounder for the rear (when you have to pedal).

Ghetto tubeless friendly would be a huge plus.
    I like it- All in due time.
    I want a do a run of 1.5 or 1.25 ply tires- for guys that really ride and need a AM tire.
    I can't run single ply tubeless any more and ride hard and not tear them.

And 2 ply are heavy for uphill use.

Wait until you see the custom rim we are coming out with. (speaking of getto tubeless)
    30mm wide at 550 grams. Made with a deep inner channel with flat sides to help pump up getto tubeless with a floor pump. And a small bead lock bump to help stop burping.

As always though- Make sure to run a bead of Stans around the tire bead to really glue it to the getto tube- that is the Best Tubeless setup. No burping, easy setup and inflating.
    Even with a floor pump. Worked first try with my prototype set I setup last week.

Lots of exciting new stuff in the mix for Canfield brothers and C2-components.
    [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Canfield-Brothers-Downhill-BikesC2-Components/163956136971393"]

Roll on Spring Time!
    I may have to try running my 2.35 just to give me an idea. It is super tacky and I dont usualy run this in the rear. I often buy tires when the price drops on CRC, to save money but sometimes to have a chance of trying out something different.

A tire I really like is the advantage but the side wall is weaksauce. It was okay in the past but I think my riding has changed too much and it just doesnt cut the cheese anymore. I was running 2.25 so it didnt oversize the HR up front. Maybe the 2.4 would be better on the rocks but then I would have to run an advantage front or try a 2.7 HR which is not what I would like. I also had good results with the larsen for trail and mellow AM riding, also good for stretches of tarmac on route to the trails, but as with the advantage it has thin side walls and needs higher PSI, good for milage rides and speed of course.

The advantage has been released with Exo casing now so I may have to give it a shot. Maybe Exo Minion front and Exo Advantage rear. This could be a killer agro Am or freeride combo. I am testing the Exo Minion front now.

CRC has some of the Intense tires on sale so I am deciding on whether to give them a shot.
    I just want to ride.

mtbr member
    I want a do a run of 1.5 or 1.25 ply tires- for guys that really ride and need a AM tire.

Wait until you see the custom rim we are coming out with. (speaking of getto tubeless)
    30mm wide at 550 grams. Made with a deep inner channel with flat sides to help pump up getto tubeless with a floor pump. And a small bead lock bump to help stop burping.

Awesome.

There's a void in the AM/FR tire market right now. Speshy is doing good things with the SX line, tougher casings and sidewall, softer rubber compounds, but that fast rolling rear tire is still MIA.

Maxxis' EXO line came pretty close to the mark, but missed it IMO. Rubber compounds are too hard in the 3C version (haven't tried the Maxxpro but 60 all around doesn't sound any better) and the sidewalls are noticeably weaker that the Speshy SX line. The EXO Minion is also the only tire I've ever had repeated burping issues with when running ghetto tubeless.

Annyways, sounds like you guys are on the right track, look forward to seeing what you've got for us.

Ride, Jump, Pray, Land
    I have heard a lot of people complaining about Minions. I use WTB Timberwolf front and back.

Roll on Spring Time!
    Really, seems like a bench mark tire to me and from what alot of people say. Unless you are refering specificaly to the minion rear specific. I love the minion as a front tire.

On a side note I was looking at my Muddy Mary last night and I am impressed with the way it is wearing. After the first few rides I was really worried because small holes stated showing but after months of use, like small air bubbles, but overall it has worn really nicely. My minion front has pieces missing from the center lugs I think due to the sniping. this is after less use than the MM. I am not convinced about the 3C version for even wear, I am probably going sticky front and 60 back in future. I like the Muddy Mary but CRC just dont seem to be getting Scwalbe stock, its been months of regular check ups so I dotn miss out.
    I just want to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by juan pablo
    So it seems like the world and its neighbour switch to Minion front on the back but I am wondering if anyone has gone back to rear specific. I have been running HR rear/minion front, minion front/minion front and big betty/muddy mary. I have noticed I really like the the stronger braking characteristics of the HR and Big Betty so since its time pic up some new rubber I am considering a minion rear specific. Rolling resistance is always a concern and a factor so I am wondering who thinks what. I have a 2.35 Minion dual ply rear but its so dam skinny I don think it would give me a fair indication of possible potentials.

i run on one of my bikes a 2.7 minion rear dhf and a 2.5 dhf fronts 2 ply.

mtbr member
    I run a 2.35 DHR on my AM bike. I like the extra bite for climbs and technical stuff.

Maaaaan
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    I switched back. Had the DHF on the back facing forward and was sketched on the braking, reversed the tread and performed really well but IMO the DHR just handles and grips better in the tech rocky terrain we ride out in AZ.
    Me too.
    My idea of downhill is Super D after a tough climb, but I definitely like the DHR on the rear better, especially in tech terrain.
    The braking and climbing traction of the DHR on the rear, is better than the DHF mounted on the rear.
    I don't notice any big change in rolling resistance with the 60 mp. In fact, I think the traction while climbing is so much better in desert conditions, that I use less energy overall, instead of slipping and sliding around so much like I do with other tires.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by siyross
    I have heard a lot of people complaining about Minions. I use WTB Timberwolf front and back.
    So there's this Englishman driving around in the US for the first time. He's heading down the highway and turns on the radio. The announcer comes on and says "careful everybody, there's an idiot driving down the wrong side of the highway!". The Englishman mutters to himself "ONE idiot? There's like a thousand of them!".

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    2.5 UST Minion Rear. I have come from using a high roller on the rear, as its my 1st tubeless experience I thought maybe I was running pressures too low as the rolling resistance is much higher than with the high roller, but the way it bites into the ground (leaf mulch over hard pack) feels really good and lets me really stamp on the pedals where the high roller would spin. Edge grip is also higher, however the high roller always slid before it let go... I just get the feeling the DHR wont! Hopefully I will be able to give more feedback once I have done a few runs later in January.

Ride, Jump, Pray, Land
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058
    So there's this Englishman driving around in the US for the first time. He's heading down the highway and turns on the radio. The announcer comes on and says "careful everybody, there's an idiot driving down the wrong side of the highway!". The Englishman mutters to himself "ONE idiot? There's like a thousand of them!".

WHAT?

Maaaaan
    Quote Originally Posted by siyross
    WHAT?

LMAO!
    There aren't a lot of people complaining about Minions.
    Hell, there are plenty of cases where sponsored riders have been caught in media photos, using Maxxis Minions and highrollers, when they're supposed to be on Kenda or other brands. LOL.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

mtbr member

And 2 ply are heavy for uphill use.

As always though- Make sure to run a bead of Stans around the tire bead to really glue it to the getto tube- that is the Best Tubeless setup. No burping, easy setup and inflating.
    Even with a floor pump. Worked first try with my prototype set I setup last week.

So will there be a 2ply tire and a 1.5ply tire or only 1.5ply? I tend to tear my UST 2ply minions so 1.5ply would be a bit scary.
    I like the rim idea very much.
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I run a 2.5 DHF in the front and a 2.5 DHR in the rear. I'm not a shredder by any means but I like the tires. No complaints here.

Roll on Spring Time!
    I dont expect my rear tire to last long in South Africa with 3 weeks of solid riding almost everyday. Probably worth picking up a minion rear and testing it out. Its frustrating when you end up with something you arent crazy about and cant wear it out quickly. Idont throw away tires that arnt dead.

I like the High Roller out back but when it starts to wear down it loses grip fast.
    I just want to ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0