Is anyone...- Mtbr.com

Thread: Is anyone...

banned
    Dec 2003

Is anyone...

using Avid 8" mechanicals for DH? I've just about had it with my non-adjustable & constantly rubbing hayes...

Is arm pump really bad with the Avids? I have the 6" version on my trailbike, and love them, but just wondering how much more effort it would take to slow down a 52lb big hit...

thanks for any input, positive OR negative...

V10 Freerider
    I used a 6" avid Mech. on the rear end of my V10 for the last race of the season and had no complaints. I am replacing both front and rear with shimano BR 755 (4 Piston). But I did strongly consider the Avids.
    The Super T you have is really a very good fork. I'd take that fork over a Fox 40 or a Boxer unless i was entering a fashon contest instead of a race

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by DownHillFast
    using Avid 8" mechanicals for DH? I've just about had it with my non-adjustable & constantly rubbing hayes...
    theres a way to adjust (increase) the pad spacing...its the "buisness card" trick found in the manual.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

banned
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    theres a way to adjust (increase) the pad spacing...its the "buisness card" trick found in the manual.
    I do that about once a week, and when I leave for a session it's fine, but by the time the day is done they are rubbing again. I push the pistons back into the bores, use the business cards, etc. My LBS has even "tuned them up" for me, re bled them, etc, and it keeps coming back waaaay too much. I want to spend time riding my bike, not tuning it constantly. I had the same problem on my Enduro, and I cured it by switching to Avid Mechs. So, back to my question, how do they work for DH? Sufficient stopping power? A 28lb enduro is one thing, but the BigHit's a different story! IF I have to pop for Juicy 7's, so be it, but I like the mechs for their simplicity!

The Gnarchitect Sketch.
    Been running 8" avids front and rear on my RM flow for a while now. Started with a 6" rotor in the rear but moved to an 8" after a while. I'm 6'3" 260 and like to ride trails pretty fast, and what I found on long descents was that 3 or 4 miles in the heat would cause the inside caliper adjuster to back itself out a bit and the braking went all to hell.

So I went to the 8" and haven't had a problem since. Plenty of stopping power. Already having an 8" and a 6" on the same bike I could tell that the 8" gave a lot more power, but it wasn't clear until I had a direct comparison - 8" where I'd formerly had a 6" how much better it was.

I tend to put brakes through hell and these have held up great, I imagine they'd stop you and your downhill bike without a problem.

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by DownHillFast
    I do that about once a week, and when I leave for a session it's fine, but by the time the day is done they are rubbing again.
    Sounds like your brake tabs might need faced.

The avids will do the trick. In alot of ways, avid mechs may actually have MORE power than a comparable hydro. Or at least more snap - quicker response. They obviously don't fade, and you can use a real high friction pad casue there's no fluid to heat up. I've heard of cable housing melting though....

The only draw back I've ever seen with avids mechs is that you've gotta keep the cable super-clean to keep um smooth. I run Hayes hydros for this reason. A PROPERLY setup hyrdo will need less stand time.

Also, you can modify a hayes caliper adapter so theres room to throw on some v-brake hardware [concave/vex washers] and you've got CPS on a hayes. That'll take care of yer rub for sure. Just make sure you know what yer doin before you start modding yer brakes.
    Last edited by singletrack; 11-15-2004 at 02:32 PM.

i should be working
    i think the loss of modulation in mechanical brakes is far worst than just putting up with some pad rub. as long as its not too bad. i have a 7" avid mech on the front of my P1 and i hate how grabby it is. i've been over the bars many times because its just too ON/OFF. now granted this is at slower speeds than DH runs so the modulation at higher speeds might get better.
    as for arm pump, i ran 6" mechs on some DH runs and it was terrible for me. some people can fight the lactose build up better than others.

i dont understand what singletrack is talking about with more power. v-brakes have plenty of wheel stopping power. its all about modulation and for that you need hydros.

mtbr member

Mechs strong enough for FR but...

...I don't think they can handle really long demanding DH runs. The brake's strength will come from your arms without hydraulic assistance. Why do you think cars now come with power brakes?

Both my Enduro & BigHit sport Hayes and I will never go back to mechanical even for XC.

My Hayes will rub alittle from time to time but mostly during heavy sprints up hill (more flex related) but they are known for that. If you want to go to another brand, try Hopes. My friend has Hopes and if I ever change, they will be on my short list.

Also I'd only recommend mechanicals for really dry, cleaner enviroments versus rainy, muddy conditions.

Good luck!

BTW, how did you get your BigHit to weigh 52 lbs!? Got pics?

Removed at birth
    Go with the Avid Mechs. I've raced 3 seasons on them, and will never go back to hydros. I run an 8 on the front, and 6 in the back. On the longest DH coure I've raced, which was about 6 and a half minutes, they worked great. Never overheat, and never fade.
    Peace out! War In!

mtbr member

Go with Avids

Something you may want to consider is using the speed dial levers as well. They allow you to adjust the leverage ratio so you can fine tune the amount of modulation you want. Avid levers make the disc brakes come alive. Its amazing the differance.

banned
    Dec 2003

Well of course I have pics...

Quote Originally Posted by X-Vert
    BTW, how did you get your BigHit to weigh 52 lbs!? Got pics?
    Here she is, in all her glory...in my backyard!

Enjoy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0