Anybody running a Pike??- Mtbr.com
    100% Cheesy Goodness

Anybody running a Pike??

Just wondering how many people have been running this fork and how its holding up. I have hear the good things, and the only bad thing i have heard thus far is just the fact that they are made by rock shox. Any long term feedback would be sweet. Need to get a new fork for the wife and this one is looking promising.
    Thanks
    Blaaah blaaah blaaah

north bush biker

nope but

nope but my pike is coming in the mail realy soon hopfuly by friday. ive heard nothing but good things though. fully adjustable , light and strong. heard they are very plush and the seals are hold up so far. i can't wate to get mine .
    RIDE HARD,RIDE FAST

100% Cheesy Goodness
    Quote Originally Posted by NRTH SHORE
    nope but my pike is coming in the mail realy soon hopfuly by friday. ive heard nothing but good things though. fully adjustable , light and strong. heard they are very plush and the seals are hold up so far. i can't wate to get mine .
    Hear anything on how stiff they are like compared to a sherman? Also how big of a tire will they clear?
    Blaaah blaaah blaaah

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sortafast
    Hear anything on how stiff they are like compared to a sherman? Also how big of a tire will they clear?
    Stiffer than the Sherman, as well as the Z1. That's saying a lot. The arch and the stanchions are probably what make it stiffer than other comperable 20mm forks. The arch is WAAAYY more beefy than both the sherman and z1. The stanchions are made from Easton EA70 tubing, which is the strongest alloy available.

I'm guessing you can squeeze a 3.0 tire into there depending on how tall it is and how wide your rim is. I have a 2.7 up front and there's close to half an inch of spare room on all sides.

The Pike is currently the most versatile fork you can buy right (besides Fox 36 rc2, but costs $1000) now. Although I would take a FrankenFork AM-1/Z1 combo over the Pike any day. IMO, that would be the perfect fork. Marzocchi is retarded for not offering a 20mm axel fork with TST and TAS for Freeriders. I would pay top dollar for that.

north bush biker

my

my lbs tried to sell me a marz all mountain SL in stead of the pike. they had it in the shop and told me it would be an excelnt trail fork. i had adjustable travel but not nearly as versitile as the pike is. and it didn't have 20mm drop out which is a selling point for me. IMO rock shock finaly step up their products and raised the bar. The pike has every thing im looking for.
    RIDE HARD,RIDE FAST

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Pike

My wife has been riding downhill and freeride with pikes for about 6months now, I have also tried it out, have had no problems yet, they have good adjustability, these are Pike Team. They are very plush and quite light.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    good stuff
    pay me

Soul Cycles
    Jan 2005
    is that the pike race? how do u like the "maxle"

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sreiman
    is that the pike race? how do u like the "maxle"
    it's the race. The maxle is incredible, an amazing invention. However, the disc tabs are set up for the same caliper adapters as QR forks, rather than the adapters on Marzocchi forks.
    pay me

Soul Cycles
    Jan 2005
    does the maxle come with a special thru axcel, or will any 20 mm thru axcel work on it

Cynical Bystander
    I too am very interested in getting a Pike for my AC. Ideally I'd get a 66 or AllMountain but the Pike has all the features I want with the versatility that my trail/fr bike needs. Hopefully I can get one soon, just gotta sell the Psylo and hope that cost pricing on one is close to what I get off that. Is there a ton of performance differences between the models other than slight weight differences and adjustments?
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    yes, the pike comes with the proprietary axle. The Pike SL does not come with the floodgate adjustment, the Race does. The Team has all the features of the Race, but with Poploc handlebar control and lighter steer tube. I just went with the Race since it's strong and has all the features. QBP pricing is good too
    pay me

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by MD Bullit
    yes, the pike comes with the proprietary axle. The Pike SL does not come with the floodgate adjustment, the Race does. The Team has all the features of the Race, but with Poploc handlebar control and lighter steer tube. I just went with the Race since it's strong and has all the features. QBP pricing is good too
    Thanks. Is Poploc the thing that controls the compression and can pretty much lock it down in a sense? Or make it so that it can't back out or something? I dunno... lol. I think I'll go with the Race or Team. Pricewise, atleast at aebike.com there is only a $25 difference between Sl and Race. Then another $20 for the cheapest version of the Team. Not too sure about discount pricing through sponsors...
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    yeah, poploc makes the fork stiff for climbs and can do the opposite for descents.
    pay me

north bush biker

as far as i

as far as i gathered from reading the holy bilbe. the one your lbs pulls out with all the forks for marz to RS in it the race and team are essintialy the same the only differnce was the hollowed out crown or arch un shure about wich one. that why i went for the race. i gathered it was a little beafyer than the team. oh well im shure im gona love the race.
    RIDE HARD,RIDE FAST

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by NRTH SHORE
    as far as i gathered from reading the holy bilbe. the one your lbs pulls out with all the forks for marz to RS in it the race and team are essintialy the same the only differnce was the hollowed out crown or arch un shure about wich one. that why i went for the race. i gathered it was a little beafyer than the team. oh well im shure im gona love the race.
    Maybe I should get the Race and if I feel like I need it I'll buy the upgrade for the Poploc thing.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    is the pike good for freeride like 3-4 foot drops to flat and 4-5 to tranny

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    it'll take it, but i'd invest in a risse big foot for extra security.
    pay me

No, that's not phonetic
    I was riding the Pike Team for a while but it is waaaay linear in its action and I was bottoming it off small drops, even with the firm spring and only 16% sag. Unlike a Zoke or Fox there is no way to play with oil height to combat this. A tech at RS suggested installing an MCU inside the coil like on the Psylos, but it is a huge bother. I also could not find a compression setting which helped in any noticeable way.

I now have a Pike Race Air and the stroke is waaaay nicer. It ramps up very pleasantly and I have yet to bottom it even though I am pushing it much harder than I did the coil version. Rockshox said the Pike was designed as a trail fork overall and trailriders like linear forks. This shows in the coil model. The air system has a very Zoke-like progression to the stroke (I have a Z1 SL, Z1 coil, Z1 FR1 also, so I know my Zokes).

The Maxle is brilliant but is probably susceptible to impact damage with rocks. If you don't deal with rocks much, it will likely last a while.

I like the air a lot, it's supple but it knows how to deal with bigger impacts. The only thing the 05 models are lacking is the Air U-Turn system like the Reba has. That will be out in 06. If you don't want to lower the front, get an Air now. If adjustable travel is important, wait for the 06 forks. I would not buy a coil Pike again in any case (but mine is for sale if you want it).
    Last edited by tscheezy; 04-17-2005 at 06:08 PM.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyfreerider
    is the pike good for freeride like 3-4 foot drops to flat and 4-5 to tranny
    Yes it can take those very easily as long as you have the right spring in there.

I'm 180# and use the Firm spring. I've taken mine over 8 ft to tranny and 6 ft to flat concrete on my aggro/fr hardtail. I have used all of the travel, but not once have I ever heard or felt any bottom out impact. This might have something to do with the fact that I have a really short chain stay and low seat so my weight is more over the rear wheel than any dual suspension bike. I would probably need an X-firm for a dual suspension rig.

Tscheesy's problem has been rare. He must have recieved a faulty spring, because only he and one/two other guys on this board have complained of bottoming out the Pike whith the proper springs. Everyone else, including me, has been beating the crap out of this fork and never once bottomed it out.

The Pike air might be a good lightweight alternative to the spring version. It's worth a try. I'm not a fan of air fork reliability, so I'm gonna wait a while before thinking about one, and see if any major problems come up. Tscheezy is now the Ginnea pig for us, we'll see how he holds up.

---------------------------------

BTW, the Pike SL has adjustable Floodgate contrary to what was said above. The only difference is that you have to remove a push in cap from the compression knob and then put a 2.5mm hex into there to turn it. The rebound knob pops out and is actually a hex wrench with a handle on it. It can be used to adjust the FG if you don't have a hex. It doesn't like constantly coming on and off so it's more of a backup feature. The cool thing though, is that if it falls off, you can still adjust rebound with a hex wrench.

You can turn an SL into a Race model by cutting down a 2.5mm hex wrench and putting rubber rings on it and placing it into the FG adjust hole. You can then leave it there for on the fly external adjustment. It's also crucial to use for adjusting while riding.

One main difference to note:

Race model's FG knob has indent clicks, which may make it easier to find your settings. It also requires more turns from stop to stop because it needs to have finer tuning to compensate for the indents.

SL doesn't have indents, but half as many turns required from stop to stop.

------------------------------------------

SL + Race = Steel steer tubes + Solid Crown

Team = Aluminum steer tube + Hollow crown

Pike Air = somewhere around 4.25 lbs

Weight saving from race to team = .25 lbs (not much, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference)

All models can be upgraded to poplock. They all have the crown mount for it, you just need to get the spring loaded Motion COntrol Damping unit.
    Last edited by MicroHuck; 04-17-2005 at 06:51 PM.

100% Cheesy Goodness
    Quote Originally Posted by MD Bullit
    good stuff
    How do you like that thing for urban? I am thinking about putting one on my Cowan frame I just got.
    Blaaah blaaah blaaah

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Admit it, you are a RS rep.

Quote Originally Posted by MicroHuck
    Yes it can take those very easily as long as you have the right spring in there.

I'm 180# and use the Firm spring. I've taken mine over 8 ft to tranny and 6 ft to flat concrete on my aggro/fr hardtail. I have used all of the travel, but not once have I ever heard or felt any bottom out impact. This might have something to do with the fact that I have a really short chain stay and low seat so my weight is more over the rear wheel than any dual suspension bike. I would probably need an X-firm for a dual suspension rig.

Tscheesy's problem has been rare. He must have recieved a faulty spring, because only he and one/two other guys on this board have complained of bottoming out the Pike whith the proper springs. Everyone else, including me, has been beating the crap out of this fork and never once bottomed it out.

The Pike air might be a good lightweight alternative to the spring version. It's worth a try. I'm not a fan of air fork reliability, so I'm gonna wait a while before thinking about one, and see if any major problems come up. Tscheezy is now the Ginnea pig for us, we'll see how he holds up.

---------------------------------

BTW, the Pike SL has adjustable Floodgate contrary to what was said above. The only difference is that you have to remove a push in cap from the compression knob and then put a 2.5mm hex into there to turn it. The rebound knob pops out and is actually a hex wrench with a handle on it. It can be used to adjust the FG if you don't have a hex. It doesn't like constantly coming on and off so it's more of a backup feature. The cool thing though, is that if it falls off, you can still adjust rebound with a hex wrench.

You can turn an SL into a Race model by cutting down a 2.5mm hex wrench and putting rubber rings on it and placing it into the FG adjust hole. You can then leave it there for on the fly external adjustment. It's also crucial to use for adjusting while riding.

One main difference to note:

Race model's FG knob has indent clicks, which may make it easier to find your settings. It also requires more turns from stop to stop because it needs to have finer tuning to compensate for the indents.

SL doesn't have indents, but half as many turns required from stop to stop.

------------------------------------------

SL + Race = Steel steer tubes + Solid Crown

Team = Aluminum steer tube + Hollow crown

Pike Air = somewhere around 4.25 lbs

Weight saving from race to team = .25 lbs (not much, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference)

All models can be upgraded to poplock. They all have the crown mount for it, you just need to get the spring loaded Motion COntrol Damping unit.
    Kidding. You have provided some usefull information regarding the Pike. I am looking at a bike that has the SL and was confused as to the flood gate control and now thanks to these threads, I know how to work with it. Kind of.

Speaking of springs, I weigh 215 without gear and I will probably be getting the xfirm spring.
    I hope that the small bump absorption will not be affected too much by the x-firm spring. I dont want to be bottoming on rough terrain so the x-firm should be the correct spring for me.

On the RS website picture, the SL has the control lever on the FG (it used to anyways) but the SL sold on stock bikes in stores does not have it. OEM stuff I guess. Reading these threads spelled it out for me.

I went to a couple of shops expecting the FG to have a lever on the SL. Anyways, I confused a couple of bike shop employees until I showed them that the rebound hex on the bottom of the fork can be used to control the FG. The shop employees should know this but none of them do around here (Calgary).

I have not tried to pop off the FG cap or whatever it is but was wondering if it is easy to make the adjustments on the SL FG?